1 2
kking199
kking199 None
3/15/13 6:52 a.m.

Hey all, been reading GRM now for 3 years. Love it. In particular have a huge amount of respect for all you shade tree mechanics who work miracles with your rides, and many times for little or no money. And thanks for making me feel completely inept when trying to wrench on mine. I did install my FMIC, but frankly that turned out to be pretty easy. So my wrenching victory was... short lived to say the least.

So in response to the title, I have managed to turn a '08 VW EOS, which is a hard top convertible that came out in '07 and will finish production for the '13 model year, into a fast and fun to drive sports car. The EOS mechanically has the same front-end as the MKV GTI. I did not buy the EOS with any expectations of making it fast or changing it. It just kinda happen. Mostly from sheer desperation, limited funds, unusual circumstances, and the fact that the GTI is very mod-able, and hence the EOS.

I've tracked it 8 times, and will track it again this Mar 23/24 at MSR in Cresson, TX. The car is heavily modified but what makes it good is not the mods per se, it actually is the fact that it is a hard top convertible. Convertibles must have strong/stiff undercarriages to compensate for the flex due to not having a roof. The EOS is even stiffer due to when the heavy hard top is down and in the trunk. So when the top is up, the car is just a solid chunk, it does not flex. The heavy top also moves the center of gravity back, always a good thing in a FWD car. This rigid body allows the suspension to focus fully on providing grip. Which the LSD and tires take full advantage of.

I have not spend much time here at the forums really, I plan on changing that. Hopefully I can contribute to the collective genius, or madness depending on your point of view, here at GRM.

Cheers

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
3/15/13 7:01 a.m.

You are doing just fine, welcome to the madhouse.

Now then, where are the pics?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
3/15/13 7:01 a.m.

There is no genius here. Just madness.

Klayfish
Klayfish Dork
3/15/13 7:20 a.m.
kking199 wrote: Convertibles must have strong/stiff undercarriages to compensate for the flex due to not having a roof.

Welcome! Awesome for making what is not normally considered a sporty car track worthy.

There are a lot of automakers who apparently didn't read your message above. Quite a plentiful supply of wet noodle convertibles out there. Even the best ones still aren't as stiff as a true tin top.

Where are the pics?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/15/13 7:23 a.m.

Where are the pics? GRM needs a GoPro loaner cam!

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
3/15/13 7:37 a.m.

Not completely off topic, but if you ever have issues with that hard top, let me know. I was one of the 4 trainers that went around North America training VW techs on servicing the top. I'd be happy to help.

unevolved
unevolved Dork
3/15/13 7:38 a.m.

Stuff like this is why I love this forum. There's experts on ANYTHING here.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/15/13 7:59 a.m.

Sounds like you've done a great job with the car, also looking forward to the pics!

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
3/15/13 8:00 a.m.

You fit in here just fine and now I am wondering when the EOS will be cheap and unloved putting them priced low enough and therefore in my sites.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
3/15/13 8:04 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Where are the pics? GRM needs a GoPro loaner cam!

First stop, Back 40.

kking199
kking199 New Reader
3/15/13 10:12 p.m.

Here are the mods since I don't have pics yet.

Intake - VF Engineering w/ AEM Filter | Full Exhaust - APR | Fuel Pump - APR | FMIC APR | ECU Tune (Stg2+) - APR - (stock turbo – Borg-Warner K03) | Limited Slip Differential - Peloquin | Engine and Trans Mounts - BSH | Competition Oil Catch Can - BSH | Engine Oil - Motul (various flavors) | Coilovers - Bilstein PSS10 | Sway Bars - Hotchkis | Anti-Lift Kit - Whiteline | SS Brake lines - Goodridge | Slotted Rotors - Power Slot (StopTech) | Brake Caliper Mod - TyrolSport (stock calipers) | Brake Fluid - Motul RBF600 | Brake Pads - Carbotech XP12 | Wheels - Enkei PF01 | Tires - Track - Nitto NT01 – 235/40 17 | Street – Michelin Pilot Super Sport 235/45 17

I'll work on the pics, all I've I got is a phone right now.

DrBoost - the top has been flawless, in fact the car has been excellent except for known issues. PCV valve, diverter valve, cam follower (part of the fuel pump).

kking199
kking199 New Reader
3/15/13 10:59 p.m.

You asked for pics..., and I certainly don't want to anger the animals in the zoo!

Some action shots for ya, these are at MotorSport Ranch in Cresson, TX with The Drivers Edge

MSR - Back | http://www.hart-photography.com/photocart/index.php?do=photocart&viewImage=1181719 MSR - Side | http://www.hart-photography.com/photocart/index.php?do=photocart&viewImage=1181814 MSR - Front | http://www.hart-photography.com/photocart/index.php?do=photocart&viewImage=1180739

Spec Miata - | http://www.hart-photography.com/photocart/index.php?do=photocart&viewImage=1399453

I was told afterward the Spec Miata had been abused many times over, and the tires were shot... and I still had a blast driving it. I've owned a NA and NB but never tracked them.

Thanks for making me feel welcomed. It's good to be with fellow misfits... :)

ggkthxnore
ggkthxnore New Reader
3/16/13 1:24 a.m.

Wasn't there an EOS made that had the 3.2 VR6 yet was only fwd?

edit: http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2007-volkswagen-eos-32-page-3 there was.

That probably would be fun, lol.

CyberEric
CyberEric New Reader
3/16/13 2:12 a.m.

Very cool VW, thanks for sharing with us. Forgive my ignorance, what is an anti-lift kit?

nicksta43
nicksta43 Dork
3/16/13 2:18 a.m.

Love the car. The pic of the rear 3/4 view looks great. Looks like a blast to drive.

Honestly I'm surprised you didn't get a bunch of "OMG, what a waste of money, why didn't you sell it and just start out with a Miata" And I''m glad the people here on GRM are not like that. How boring would it be without cars like this.

kking199
kking199 New Reader
3/16/13 4:01 a.m.

The first two models years the VR6 was an option. It did not sell well. In part because the I4 engine was more than good enough. Imho the VR6 is too heavy. And the 2.0 FSI engine is excellent. Especially with the APR software. I could go on and on about how good the APR software is.

Anti-lift kit does what it's called. I'm trying to think best how to describe it. And frankly I am 100% others here could give a much better description but I'll give a shot. Basically it prevents the energy generated from accelerating, from pushing the front end up. Which is bad in a FWD car. It redirects into the bottom frame of the car? That's my best guess. I can tell you it works.

"OMG, what a waste of money..." If I'd listen to all the naysayers... lol. I test drove the EOS against the Mini Cooper S. Imo the EOS was far superior and cheaper. If I'd have posted that anywhere on the Internet in '08, I would have been laughed off the forum(s).

BTW my EOS feeds on Minis of all flavors. In fact the last time on the track the only cars passing me were cars that should have been. Vipers, Z06s, GT3s. However, this was in Blue run group(s).

Since my last track event I've added the following; FMIC | 100 octance Tune | Oil catch can | Anti-Lift Kit | Full exhaust

I'm anticipating a noticeable difference in performance on the track. And I'd like to think my driving skills have improved.

Max_Archer
Max_Archer Reader
3/16/13 4:27 a.m.

ALKs are pretty common in the Subaru community too. I don't recall offhand what exactly they do either, but as you say they keep the wheels on the ground, which is nearly as important with an open front diff AWD (as on the last-gen non-STI WRX) as it is with an FWD car.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
3/16/13 8:24 a.m.

I never even noticed that VW made the EOS. That is a cool little package. Love the wheels too.

235/40-17 is a lot of rubber too - I bet it's a blast to hoon around in.

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
3/16/13 9:27 a.m.

I always love to see the automotive odd balls get attention!!

Welcome to your new waste of free time!

iceracer
iceracer UberDork
3/16/13 9:33 a.m.

Anti lift is done by changing the angle of the control arm longitudinally.

CyberEric
CyberEric New Reader
3/16/13 9:39 a.m.

Re the ALK, good to know, I have never raced a FWD car so I suppose that's why I'd never heard of it. I'll have to see how they work. Looks great and glad to see something different and cool.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
3/16/13 1:00 p.m.

A performance EOS! Love it. Can it still do it's electric flippy-top thing?

Never realized they shared so much with the Mk.4.

kking199
kking199 New Reader
3/16/13 2:55 p.m.

Thanks for the compliments everyone. Means a lot to me.

The car is a blast to drive. I enjoy it as much or more now than ever before. The first car I learned to drive fast in was a brand new bone stock (no A/C in Texas) MkII Golf. I drove the stink out of that car. So I've learned/gotten good at driving FWD cars. You just have to adjust your mentality to where the weight and power are in the FWD car. And adjust your racing line as well.

The top works perfectly. In fact I had it down today so I could throw (actually that would be gently place with a trash bag around the rear wheel) my Mountain Bike in the back seat. However the car handles like ass with the top down. It's painful really, I rarely drop the top. The EOS actually has a usable back seat. A little tight width wise, but leg room is decent. The EOS shares the same front end as the MKV GTI.

iceracer are you saying then the ALK actually redirects the force/energy to the sides of the car?

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
3/16/13 3:14 p.m.

DOH! You said Mk.5, I just can't read.

kking199
kking199 New Reader
3/16/13 4:45 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: DOH! You said Mk.5, I just can't read.

lol, no worries. I've dumped a lot of info throughout the thread. And I love the Corrado. Man, I pined for one of those in the early 90's. It was like the perfect mix of the Scirocco and the Golf.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KfgnbnabH68bmSCtqqeE2mIC86I0ETICXGvEhtnmubEaz6O5mGsjBSWHqxnzODyC