David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/14/20 3:21 p.m.
feature_image

Perhaps this could be the next Spec Miata, muses longtime pro racer Robb Holland. The car is easy to build, easy to drive and easy to race. The chassis is already popular among enthusiasts, whether the decklid reads Subaru BRZ, Scion FR-S or Toyota 86.

“The BRZ feels like a bigger, more powerful Miata,” Robb says. “It still has the …

Read the rest of the story

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
7/14/20 3:40 p.m.

Given the 'solo spec coupe' autocross class, I assumed this was only a matter of time. I think it's a great idea.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
7/14/20 5:10 p.m.

There is already a spec series for these cars in Asia. If it happens please make the rules identical across all continents.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/14/20 5:45 p.m.

I believe the next Spec Miata is called MX-5 Global Cup :)

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/14/20 5:53 p.m.

Spec RWD rally class for driver development, please. 

Keith Tanner
7/14/20 5:57 p.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

Spec RWD rally class for driver development, please. 

Ooooo. Nice.

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/14/20 11:45 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I believe the next Spec Miata is called MX-5 Global Cup :)

There may be a spec Twin series... But it's not going to amount to anything of the numbers that Spec miatas does. 

Spec Miata may be ultra expensive at the front. But it's not ultra expensive for everyone in it making huge classes across the country. 

Twins are coming down in price but they aren't Miata cheap and, in my mind they're certainly not as durable in the powertrain department as NA/NB miatas are. I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong . But that's my perception. 

captainawesome
captainawesome HalfDork
7/15/20 10:54 a.m.

There's a group series called 86 CUP, but it's in Time Attack format. I think that shows there's a niche market already ripe for something like this.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/15/20 3:18 p.m.

In reply to captainawesome :

I venture to say that it shows the difference in competition preference based on upon the average age of a Miata driver on track versus average frisbee driver. 

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
7/15/20 5:05 p.m.

I just missed a cheap . . . like challenge cheap . . . one with a blown engine.

Durty
Durty Reader
7/16/20 11:20 a.m.

We also need more people to buy them, miatas are cheap and plentiful because of the 1M+ they've made and sold. I try to get anyone mildly interested in cars to buy a new 86 so that in the future we'll have more to track.

Keith Tanner
7/16/20 11:35 a.m.

ainawesome said:

There's a group series called 86 CUP, but it's in Time Attack format. I think that shows there's a niche market already ripe for something like this.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to captainawesome :

I venture to say that it shows the difference in competition preference based on upon the average age of a Miata driver on track versus average frisbee driver. 

It's also easier to arrange. No driver licensing requirements, no policing of spec rules, no affiliation with a sanctioning body and all their rules. Just get a few friends together, bang up a rough rule set and have your event at a track day.

There's a fairly well established series like this called Roadster Cup for the Miatas.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TyUYY6kdSmWH2j5MNI3A3C6DXWhUMvML2tcMMz1yo8wp3FBNz4o0eSIN5iIpw0Wl