1 2
TeamEvil
TeamEvil Reader
11/21/13 11:12 a.m.

Last week my wife and I went in for hearing tests, my left ear has been pretty bad and there seemed to be something like a cyst growing just inside of the outer channels. Hurt VERY occasionally, but kept the water from draining out of the ear when I showered which hurt worse.

Anyway, turns out that it wasn't a cyst at all, but a piece of welding slag that fell into my ear (probably while doing some chassis work on the Fiat 600) and pretty much burnt into the skin, scarred over, and just sat there for around a year.

Weirdest thing, it wasn't rusted at all when the Doc cut it out . . . what gives ? ! ? !

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
11/21/13 11:17 a.m.

Dude. That's one of those "pencil in the nose" stories.

Cone_Junkie
Cone_Junkie SuperDork
11/21/13 11:19 a.m.

Um, ouch! You waited a year to have it looked at?

I had a piece of rust in my eyeball once. Removing it with a metal pick was enjoyable.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
11/21/13 11:21 a.m.

I was hoping for an aural sex story.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/21/13 11:24 a.m.

Encapsulated by flesh it won't get the O2 required for rust.

Hey, wanna hear about the time my Mom busted up a buble bee in my ear canal with a bobby pin?

Didn't think so.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
11/21/13 11:27 a.m.

I have a buddy who once was shot with a BB gun in the hand while camping solo. The BB lodged in the palm of his hand, near where your finger joins the palm. It got stuck under the skin, and the suction made removal impossible with only one hand (the guy who shot at him ran off). He wasnt able to remove it, so the skin grew over it. Its been in there for about 11 years now. Its so close to the surface, a magnet will cling to his palm.

Hes never had issue with it getting infected or being painful or anything, and in fact, the way its placed, it makes gripping a motorcycle throttle easier, so its a bonus.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
11/21/13 11:29 a.m.

My brother got shot in the arm in a similar fashion once. Kid ran off. He tried to hide it. Ended up having surgery to get it removed. I went and had a talk with the kid that shot him.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/21/13 11:33 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: I have a buddy who once was shot with a BB gun in the hand while camping solo. The BB lodged in the palm of his hand, near where your finger joins the palm. It got stuck under the skin, and the suction made removal impossible with only one hand (the guy who shot at him ran off). He wasnt able to remove it, so the skin grew over it. Its been in there for about 11 years now. Its so close to the surface, a magnet will cling to his palm. Hes never had issue with it getting infected or being painful or anything, and in fact, the way its placed, it makes gripping a motorcycle throttle easier, so its a bonus.

This when I was 17 i was shot in the hindquarters by a .22 (by accident by a friend who had a BB gun with idential stocks), dealt with the police went to the hospital and the bullet is lodged deep enough into the fatty tissue that they decided that removing it would do more harm then good unless infection set in. So 16 years later i still have a bullet in my left buttock.

TeamEvil
TeamEvil Reader
11/21/13 12:36 p.m.

"Encapsulated by flesh it won't get the O2 required for rust."

But are we made up of 90% water? And a little bit of salty blood . . .

I was SURE that it would have dissolved/rusted away by the time that the Doc removed.

Every time I get metal in my eye(s) I get most of it drilled out, but there are always rust spots that remain for a while afterwards.

"That's one of those "pencil in the nose" stories."

A couple of years ago I was scratching the inside of my ear with the end of a fine paint brush and left it hanging in there, kind of an experiment/not sure why. The phone rang and . . . well . . . need I elaborate.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
11/21/13 12:58 p.m.

I had little dots all over my left palm from a mitt full of thistle tips for many years.

My mother fell on a broken Coke bottle when she was young and drove a small piece of glass into the drumstick of her left thumb. About 10 years later, she had a sore near her funny bone. Got worse over a week or two, and finally opened up enough to let the glass shard out. It had traveled about 14" through her forearm, a little over an inch a year.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/21/13 1:10 p.m.

Let me be the first to say

Cone_Junkie
Cone_Junkie SuperDork
11/21/13 1:35 p.m.

I still have a pebble lodged in my finger from a bike crash 25 years ago. Seems to have dissolved somewhat or something, because it's nowhere as big of a lump as it used to.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
11/21/13 1:43 p.m.
Cone_Junkie wrote: I had a piece of rust in my eyeball once. Removing it with a metal pick was enjoyable.

I've had this happen twice. Grinding the rust mark off your eyeball after they pick the steel out is the worst part.

TeamEvil
TeamEvil Reader
11/21/13 3:00 p.m.

"I've had this happen twice."

Just twice? Lucky you ! ! !

I kinda think that it's funny when you're sitting in essentially a Dentist's chair with a Dentist's tray attached and a Dentist's drill above your head and Dentist's picks on the tray and the eye Doc says, "Blink."

I SO expect him to say,"Spit."

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/21/13 4:45 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
Cone_Junkie wrote: I had a piece of rust in my eyeball once. Removing it with a metal pick was enjoyable.
I've had this happen twice. Grinding the rust mark off your eyeball after they pick the steel out is the worst part.

I have had metal/rust ground out of my eye.. one of the weirdest senstations yet.

To back to the OP.. work just had all the theatre techs tested for hearing.. Mine is damn near perfect

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
11/21/13 6:53 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: I have had metal/rust ground out of my eye.. one of the weirdest senstations yet.

Yea, but it's almost as blissful as the pain reliever they spray on your eyeball. AHHHH!!!!!

I've done the metal splinters in the eyeball several times, it really sucks. Especially if you decide to tough it out for a day or two.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
11/21/13 7:00 p.m.

Jeebus guys, ever hear of safety glasses...

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UltraDork
11/21/13 7:41 p.m.

In reply to aussiesmg:

I've had the rust grinding thing done a couple times too.

I've also watched a piece of hot brass swarf bounce off my cheek, off the inside of my safety glasses and into my eye.

They don't stop everything.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy Dork
11/21/13 8:32 p.m.

Every time I have had something in my eye and had to go to the hospital I was wearing safety glasses or goggles.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver UltraDork
11/21/13 9:02 p.m.

I've got two spots inside my glasses that are from hot metal bouncing off my cheek.

nicksta43
nicksta43 SuperDork
11/21/13 9:48 p.m.

I was walking down the hall at school in the seventh grade. A kid walked up to me and stabbed me in the right knee with a pencil and broke it off. He looked at me and said "don't tell anyone" and walked off. I never did tell anyone but you can still see the piece of graphite under my skin.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UberDork
11/21/13 10:06 p.m.
nicksta43 wrote: I was walking down the hall at school in the seventh grade. A kid walked up to me and stabbed me in the right knee with a pencil and broke it off. He looked at me and said "don't tell anyone" and walked off. I never did tell anyone but you can still see the piece of graphite under my skin.

He'd be on my list.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
11/21/13 10:35 p.m.
RealMiniDriver wrote: I've got two spots inside my glasses that are from hot metal bouncing off my cheek.

BTDT. Its funny how the safety police never believe you when that happens.

For this exact reason, when I'm doing doing stuff that I'm sure will send nasty crap towards my face, I wear goggles, not glasses. Truth be told, the only reason that I ever wear safety glasses at all is to be in compliance at facilities that mandate them.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/21/13 10:45 p.m.

I had a piece of oily, shaving-riddled dirt fall off the undercarriage and hit me right in the eye. It wouldn't self-clean and I was blinded in that eye, so I drove myself to the hospital. About halfway there my other eye started watering profusely and I could barely see. Somehow I made it to the hospital without hitting anyone, only to run into a pillar in the parking garage. They dug 7 pieces of metal out of my eyeball!

Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD New Reader
11/22/13 12:59 a.m.

In first grade stabbed myself in the palm of my hand with a pencil by accident and the point broke off. Was sent to the nurse but got scared so just went to the bathroom to clean it up. Can still see the point almost 30 years later.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tba7W1GJtD2eQCo6xWDILeJI0qO1wUCTtH90yz5TsGYY82yzA3IoVT9lQofsSNOc