stroker
stroker
6/4/08 8:40 a.m.

Anybody else seen the new copy of Hot Rod with the guy from CT who built a replica roadster with a 327 SBC? He hand-hammered the aluminum body. Claims 1750 lb and did something like 170 at Bonneville with it.

Seems like the perfect "Locost" prototype for a man of girth like myself... Anyone else seen it?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
6/4/08 8:46 a.m.

I saw that car as well. He did a really nice job on it.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t New Reader
6/4/08 10:40 a.m.

I love the look of these old Indy-style roadsters or the similar "board-track" roadsters. I know Tim Allen has one

Here's a ~Replica~ with a Pinto engine

I was lucky enough to be pitted fairly close to this famous roadster for three days at the '08 New Hampshire Vintage Celebration a few weeks ago (more from '08 NH Vintage below)

And I actually raced my Spridget in the same race as this Kurtis roadster (he murdered me in the straights)

We had dinner with the couple that owns this famous roadster (Pete and Joanne McManus). It's the Ardent Alligator (based on British Riley chassis with Mercury flattie V8)...Miles Collier drove it in 1949 to win the Watkins Glne Grand Prix (just holding off Briggs Cunningham)

I talked to the owner of this early roadster for a long time (it had a Ford Model B engine). It's interesting to realize that many of these old roadsters like this one only have hand brakes (on left side). No foot brake...only pedals are gas and clutch.

Another old roadster (none of these are replicas...they are the real deal)

More

bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
6/4/08 10:43 a.m.

I saw it, and it was very nice. So were some of the other cars in that issue! I want to say I loved the TVR the most, but purple? Ack!

Woodyhfd
Woodyhfd GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/4/08 1:54 p.m.

I haven't seen the magazine, but it sounds as if you're talking about Andrew Murray's "Murray Brother's Special".

I've seen that car in person and it is amazing. Andy is a really nice guy and is incredibly talented as a mechanic and builder. He even drives it to work.

They have a nice little shop on a dirt road and they always have interesting stuff there: Saab rally cars, old Porsches, a mid 50's Ford tow truck and lots of cool old motorcycles.

I was at Lime Rock for a track day, many years ago before I met the brothers. They showed up with a 67 Chevelle and I laughed at the thought of that car on a road course. Little did I know, the Chevelle was built specifically for Lime Rock and I believe that they turned the fastest time of the day.

Much respect to the Murray Brothers. I guess I'll be stopping to pick up a copy of Hot Rod on my way home tonight.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/4/08 2:42 p.m.

The Chevelles (think they had two, blue and maroon) were cool and gave me the idea for my Monte, but their indy car is a work of art. It's newer than the board track cars that are posted, more like the 1960's last roadsters that Mario and AJ drove on the big tracks. The metalwork on the body is very impressive.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t New Reader
6/4/08 3:30 p.m.
Woodyhfd wrote: I was at Lime Rock for a track day, many years ago before I met the brothers. They showed up with a 67 Chevelle and I laughed at the thought of that car on a road course.

I've seen that Chevelle at Lime Rock too.

Here's the Murray Brother's Special on the Salt Flats

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/4/08 5:55 p.m.

oh the cleaning involved there to keep the polished aluminum from pitting in all that salt.

And I love the sense of humor the Kurtis owner has in drawing eyes on the headlight tape

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
6/4/08 6:40 p.m.

^ While that's a pretty cool car, it's not the Murray Brothers Special, at least not in the same configuration that it was in when photographed for Hot Rod. I found this picture of it online:

Woodyhfd
Woodyhfd GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/4/08 7:30 p.m.

Stuart is correct.

I'm not sure who built the first car, but the second car, with Murray Bros. Special on it is, obviously, the one that I was referring to. Andrew was kind enough to let me look over every inch of that car without the bodywork attached and it gets even more impressive the closer you look.

I believe that he has run it on a road course, a dragstrip, at Bonneville and drives it on the street, all on the same tires!

My local Border's didn't have the new issue of Hot Rod yet, so I'm guessing that the original poster is a subscriber. I can't wait to see the article. When I first saw the car, I knew I'd see it in a magazine someday.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t New Reader
6/4/08 8:10 p.m.

You guys were right....the car I posted originally was sort of similar, but not the Murray Bro. car.....I've edited and fixed it.

I like the "nostril grill" on the Murray car ....reminds me of an old F1 Ferrari

stroker
stroker New Reader
6/4/08 10:54 p.m.

Man, I'd be sorely tempted to try and lay my hands on an old Firedome Hemi for something like that... God knows what you'd use for a transmission, though...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
czm8Ai5VoJZurzzIDNlrggfBpb71H7L3EZCGZdT2bHuHXMpkWaNyG1mgmtAKP6NF