5/24/22 11:08 a.m.

In reply to trigun7469 :

But a lovable jerk.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/24/22 11:15 a.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:
Heli only has three, and yes I'm going to die on this hill. laugh

I get it, but just like the fact Damon Hill is a two time F1 WDC and Schumacher is only a six times WDC, the reality of my world is not reflected in the history books.  But unlike my reality where Hill is the good guy and Schumacher the heel, Paul Tracy was the old CART heel and Helio the lovable guy.  Also, we all know the Mario won Indy in 81, not Uncle Bobby.

To me the big thing with all these, is that both Uncle Bobby and Helio were innocent.  They raced their race and the officials rightly, or wrongly as there is a mountain of evidence for, are the ones who decided the outcome.  The reason Schumacher is the ass hole, is he purposefully punted HIll off to win.  

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UberDork
5/24/22 3:33 p.m.

So, for my "win" list, it would be:

1. Pato (obviously)
  2. Grosjean (maybe to quiet the drama NBC's trying to create)
  3. Kirkwood
  4. Malukas
  5. Rosenqvist
  6. Kanaan
  7. Johnson*

One's I don't want to see win it.

1. Herta
  2. Marco
  3. Rahal
  4. Johnson*
  5. Ferruchi

*I got very tired of NBC talking about Johnson in every race last year, even though he was running at the back.  I mean, I get it, Carvana seemed to have an ad on every other ad break, but ugh.  If he wins it, maybe he will have scratched the itch and drop out of IndyCar.  I don't want him to win because if he does, that's all they'll talk about for the rest of the season....  I'm not a Johnson hater or anything, totally respect what he's done, just tired of hearing about him. 

I don't have a prediction.  I mean, Dixon is laying down laps like a beast and Palou is an excellent driver and right on his heels, but it's the Indy 500.  One of the greatest things about this race is that anyone can win it.  I have my favs that I'll be watching, but even if they all crash out, it'll still be an awesome race all the way to the checkered flag. 

-Rob

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
5/24/22 3:59 p.m.

In reply to rob_lewis :

If he doesn't win they will talk about how he will win it next year. I am not going to call him Danica because he basically retired after being one of the most successful nascar drivers and had a good off-road career. He is popular and sponsorship friendly to a series that needs it. Sounds like you don't want anybody that is marketable to win laugh You better add Conor Daily to the list laugh

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UberDork
5/24/22 4:54 p.m.

I totally get the marketing aspect of it and respect what he's done in his career.  Again, not trying to hate on him.  Although I would argue that marketability is dynamic and anyone can be made marketable with the right backing.  Did Johnson racing in IndyCar bring any NASCAR fans to the sport?  If so, then I could see giving him more coverage to keep them watching.  Same thing can be said for Grosjean bringing F1 fans to IndyCar.  If the numbers are there, it's totally understandable to keep telling that tale.

I get the sponsorship thing, too.  I pointed out Carvana because they are Johnson's main sponsor and put a ton of money into ads.  Sponsorships pay the bills and IndyCar needs the money.

The question is, does the marketing come after the sponsors or before?  From the looks of it, they promote whoever pays the bill. But is anyone taking Palou's success and pressing NTT Data for more ad dollars? 

Regardless, I have zero input into it and still want Pato to take it all.  Just trying to help Adrian's request for some Indy 500 trash talking.  laugh

-Rob

jmabarone
jmabarone Reader
5/24/22 4:58 p.m.

Ed Carpenter (the driver, not the team) for the win!  

stroker
stroker UberDork
5/24/22 5:21 p.m.

Okay, let's try this a different way.  Put aside your personal interest for a moment.  What top three candidates would a win at the Indy 500 most help the promotion of the series?

RacingComputers
RacingComputers GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/24/22 5:21 p.m.

AJ is GOD, Richard is King, Dale Sr was the Intimidator, and JJ could have been the heir apparent.

I have worked with all Four of those men and they are the best at what they did.

YRMV

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
5/24/22 5:49 p.m.

The numbers are definitely up in terms of viewers this year, so...

5/24/22 5:50 p.m.
stroker said:

Okay, let's try this a different way.  Put aside your personal interest for a moment.  What top three candidates would a win at the Indy 500 most help the promotion of the series?

In order:

1. Jimmie- The NASCAR-Nation will have a collective .... hang on this is a family show..."la petite mort' over it. And rightly so.
  2. RoGro - The international F1 crowd will take big time notice.
  3. Helio - Maybe this is more 2a.  Mr. Five times.surprise <- we need a head explode emoji.
  4. Marco - Come on, need I say more.
  5. Ed Carpinter - I feel this is an honersble mention.  There's no one more deserving.  He's the last of the true owner drivers in the old school way.  Everything in his life is pushing to win the 500 in his own car.
racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
5/24/22 5:54 p.m.
trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
5/25/22 8:42 a.m.

In reply to stroker :

In order:

1. Jimmie- For the obvious reasons, but I bet other Nascar drivers would take a swing, maybe even Jeff Gordon, which would be epic and be good for the sport.
  2. Conor Daily - He is popular, marketable, Indy is his hometown, and when he is out of Indycar I bet Nascar will scoop him up and market him.
  3. Rahal - very marketable, last name helps, would do well on the late night shows.
  4. Marco - Andretti winning a indy 500 is big worldwide, since he isn't a full time driver he can spend time hitting the ground and marketing the series.
  5. JR Hildebrand - Foyt winning car would be epic, color scheme on his car is epic, I think on stage he would do well and it would be a good redemption story.

I was close to adding Herta to the list because I think if he wins Indy and the championship he would be going to F1 and taking Daniel Ric's spot at Mclaren. Him going to F1 would probably be better for F1 rather then indycar.

5/25/22 9:37 a.m.

In reply to trigun7469 :

Good one on Hilderbrand.  HE arrived with such promise, but things never worked out for him.  I wonder if he got to the Indy car too soon.  I must admit I like this older, happier, bearded JR than the younger one.

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
5/25/22 10:23 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) :

He dominated indy lights wasn't much more he could do there. Panther race team was one of those IRL teams that couldn't do anything on the road courses. In 2017 he and Spencer, who I think both are good racers just couldn't make any speed out of the Ed Carpenter car. 

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
5/26/22 11:54 a.m.

Raikkonen to make Cup Series debut for Trackhouse at Watkins Glen I really wish Kimi would give indycar a go. Espcially indy.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UberDork
5/26/22 12:25 p.m.
trigun7469 said:

Raikkonen to make Cup Series debut for Trackhouse at Watkins Glen I really wish Kimi would give indycar a go. Espcially indy.

Agreed, it would be awesome to see him in IndyCar.  However, with the discussion about promoting IndyCar more, would "retired" F1 drivers coming over help or hurt?  It would help bring more eyeballs to the sport, Grosjean is an excellent example of that.  But, the stigma would be that it's a "lesser" sport than F1 and, thereby, not as good?

-Rob

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
5/26/22 12:49 p.m.

When Nigel came over, it was good for Indycar.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/26/22 1:34 p.m.

In reply to rob_lewis :

I think as long as the F1 drives are competitive but not dominant it does nothing but promote the series.  It would show that the drivers are world class and extracting the limits of the cars.  If like Grosjean the drivers are clearly enjoying it and upfront that the cars are slower but the competition is better/more fun it could really help improve viewership internationally and make Sponsors take note.

If a driver like Latifi makes his next stop after F1 be bringing his sponsor $$ to an Indycar team and then wins races/a championship that would damage Indycars reputation.  The recent F1 drivers (Grosjean/Ericsson/Rossi) and hopefuls (Illot) that have made the transition didn't have great F1 careers but have been fairly well regarded drivers so being competitive and on pace but by no means dominant they just bring good attention to the series.  

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/26/22 3:23 p.m.
rob_lewis said:

Agreed, it would be awesome to see him in IndyCar.  However, with the discussion about promoting IndyCar more, would "retired" F1 drivers coming over help or hurt?  It would help bring more eyeballs to the sport, Grosjean is an excellent example of that.  But, the stigma would be that it's a "lesser" sport than F1 and, thereby, not as good?

-Rob

During CART's golden era in the 90s, it was practically the F1 Senior Tour. Emmo, Mo Gugelmin, Blundell, Zanardi, it seemed like half the field were guys who either aged out of F1 or couldn't make it there for one reason or another. And the racing was phenomenal. Besides, I think the general public knows that F1 is the pinnacle, so being "lesser" isn't the end of the world. And true racing fans know that F1 is extremely political and that there are only a few seats that are actually competitive.

So I say the more the merrier. Indycar has plenty of homegrown talent to compete with whichever F1 refugees want to give it a try.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UberDork
5/26/22 10:07 p.m.

In other news, Mclaren seems to be fully invested in the IndyCar program.  That is excellent news!!

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/team/mclaren-racing-commissions-new-indycar-facility-in-indiana/

Adrian, not sure if you've seen it, but Mclaren has both and F1 and IndyCar youtube channel.  They post after every race with some behind the scenes stuff.  I think they're fun to watch.

-Rob

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
5/27/22 3:12 p.m.

Just saw that Herta's car got loose and walled it. Tub may be hurt - crew will be busy until Sunday.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/colton-herta-crash-leaves-car-183206617.html 

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
5/27/22 5:18 p.m.

Video has a slightly click-baity title.  It certainly could have been worse.

jstein77
jstein77 UberDork
5/27/22 5:58 p.m.
L5wolvesf said:

Just saw that Herta's car got loose and walled it. Tub may be hurt - crew will be busy until Sunday.

During the video, the announcer opined that the tub was destroyed.  If he has to go to a backup car, what does that do to his qualifying position?

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
5/27/22 6:22 p.m.

At worst, it moves him to 33rd.  There are only 33 entries.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
5/27/22 6:29 p.m.
jstein77 said:
L5wolvesf said:

During the video, the announcer opined that the tub was destroyed.  If he has to go to a backup car, what does that do to his qualifying position?

It used to be that it is/was the car that was qualified. I don't know if that is the situation currently. If another car has to be used likely it starts at the rear.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Q2crBBrZaX7mQDD9rmPoQk4EZpHYxzHNUfGhe88h56STxVkJ43en3NVeyRj0gEXg