1 2 3 4 5
Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
5/29/22 9:57 a.m.

Is there an option to live stream the race today?  Anyone got a link?

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/29/22 10:40 a.m.
Indy - Guy said:

Is there an option to live stream the race today?  Anyone got a link?

I'm sure streams exist, though I don't think our hosts, who work in the content creation industry, are too nuts about extra-legal media sharing. smiley

But, it will be live on Peacock if you have that (you can probably sign up for a free trial), and of course free over-the-air on NBC.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/29/22 10:57 a.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) :

And it should be said, IF you have cable, you can watch it streaming over their app.  

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
5/31/22 10:53 a.m.

I enjoyed the race and would have never guessed Ericsson. I really wanted to O'Ward to floor it for the last pass instead of backing off.

5/31/22 10:58 a.m.
trigun7469 said:

I enjoyed the race and would have never guessed Ericsson. I really wanted to O'Ward to floor it for the last pass instead of backing off.

In retrospect, "Whichever Ganassi car has the least amount of trouble" was probably a pretty safe bet. Not to take anything away from Ericsson, but Chip's cars were just dialed in all month.

And I guess Dixon is human after all.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UberDork
5/31/22 11:31 a.m.
trigun7469 said:

We were screaming at the TV for Pato to pull that move off.  He was on the radio beforehand saying the car felt twitchy.  2nd at the Indy 500 isn't too shabby, though.  And it puts him 2nd in the championship.  Hopefully, it'll turn out to pay dividends at the end of the season.

-Rob

5/31/22 11:50 a.m.
rob_lewis said:
trigun7469 said:

We were screaming at the TV for Pato to pull that move off.  He was on the radio beforehand saying the car felt twitchy.  2nd at the Indy 500 isn't too shabby, though.  And it puts him 2nd in the championship.  Hopefully, it'll turn out to pay dividends at the end of the season.

-Rob

I'm not surprised it was twitchy. He was the only front-runner with no Gurney flap.

stroker
stroker UberDork
6/1/22 9:58 a.m.

Sources are claiming there may be an impasse building between the current F1 ownership and the sanctioning body in Monaco.  The principality is taking the position of their venue being priceless and F1 may look at other options for practical reasons.  What say The Hive on the idea of Roger Penske et al. pitching an Indycar race to replace F1 at Monaco if the opportunity arises?

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/1/22 10:26 a.m.

In reply to stroker :

It'll never happen, but it's a great idea.  I'd love to see F1 get the boot and invite Indy in.  There is one big issue though.  The two events normally take place on the same weekend.  Sunday of Memorial day for the 500, and the last Sunday of the month for Monaco, which are normally the same date.

6/1/22 10:28 a.m.

Just saw something interesting.  Not only did Ericsson win Indy last weekend, but if you look at a rolling 16 race average.  Since Detroit last year (the race after Indy), up to an including last weekends Indy, then Ericsson has outscored the rest of the field in points. 

Ericsson 536

PAlou 513

Newgarden 501

O'Ward 489

Herta 443

stroker
stroker UberDork
6/1/22 10:33 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to stroker :

It'll never happen, but it's a great idea.  I'd love to see F1 get the boot and invite Indy in.  There is one big issue though.  The two events normally take place on the same weekend.  Sunday of Memorial day for the 500, and the last Sunday of the month for Monaco, which are normally the same date.

I think Monaco could be convinced to move the date two or three weeks before/after the 500 with an adequate sharing of TV revenue...

6/1/22 10:36 a.m.

Just saw something interesting.  Not only did Ericsson win Indy last weekend, but if you look at a rolling 16 race average.  Since Detroit last year (the race after Indy), up to an including last weekends Indy, then Ericsson has outscored the rest of the field in points. 

Ericsson 536

PAlou 513

Newgarden 501

O'Ward 489

Herta 443

Double points for Indy helps a LOT with that.

Strong rumors out there that Rossi to SPAM will be announced this weekend in Detroit. Ade and I have discussed this, I'm not sure it's a step up from Andretti, but it might be. SPAM seems to be a team on the rise, and Andretti hasn't won a title since RHR ten years ago. And you can certainly make the case that Rossi just needs a change of scenery, too. Interesting to see him leave Honda, though. I assume this means Andretti will bring in Kirkwood, and that Rosenquist is probably out at SPAM unless they are adding another car.

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
6/1/22 10:43 a.m.

In reply to stroker :

I don't think Monaco will ever go away, it has nothing to do with the race and more to do with the drivers all living there and it's just a show on who has the wealthiest and all the famous people. The next race is at Azerbaijan, which makes the least amount of sense for the F1 brand. Roger Penske focus is on indycar and making it great/profitable. Looked to be a good crowd this past weekend, now people just need to show up for the other ovals.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
6/1/22 10:59 a.m.
stroker said:

What say The Hive on the idea of Roger Penske et al. pitching an Indycar race to replace F1 at Monaco if the opportunity arises?

If it were at Watkins Glen yes. The positive points being: F1's history of having raced there, some proximity to populated areas, another US / North American race, a real road course vs a street (boring) parade. 

But I imagine the track would need some changes.

6/1/22 11:18 a.m.
L5wolvesf said:
stroker said:

What say The Hive on the idea of Roger Penske et al. pitching an Indycar race to replace F1 at Monaco if the opportunity arises?

If it were at Watkins Glen yes. The positive points being: F1's history of having raced there, some proximity to populated areas, another US / North American race, a real road course vs a street (boring) parade. 

Indycar raced at the Glen 5 years ago, so I don't know that any substantial changes would be needed.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
6/1/22 11:33 a.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:
L5wolvesf said:
stroker said:

Indycar raced at the Glen 5 years ago, so I don't know that any substantial changes would be needed.

For F1 to race at Watkins Glen

6/1/22 11:37 a.m.

Watkins Glenn will never happen for F1.  It's too far from any decent population center for the marketing to work.  

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UberDork
6/1/22 12:45 p.m.

I'm still an IndyCar newbie, but I can't see Indy going to Monaco.  I could see Mexico first, then maybe Brazil, then expand out from there, if it's financially feasible.  The IndyCar budgets are so much smaller than F1, I'm afraid the money wouldn't be there for all the teams.  F1 is $140m/year with 23 races ($6m/race) and IndyCar budgets are between $6m and $10m at 17 races ($600k/race at the high end).  Not that Indy would need $140 million budgets to do it, but probably more than the current.  Right now, the sponsorship doesn't seem to be there to fund it.  Of course, if Indy goes more global, would the sponsorship come?  No idea. 

Furthermore, I don't know that the racing at Monaco would be any better with IndyCar at the current track configuration.  IndyCars are great at passing, but they're just as wide as an F1 car (~78 inches) and just a smidge shorter (201 inches for Indy, 222 inches for F1).   So, they would probably suffer almost the same "parade lap" syndrome.

Regarding Rossi and a potential move to SPAM, I've heard the rumor too and that Rossi isn't happy at Andretti.  I don't know that they'll bounce Felix for the spot though, because I thought I heard they're planning on running 3 cars in 2023.  Could be an O'Ward/Rosenqvist/Rossi team makeup.

-Rob

6/1/22 2:14 p.m.

In reply to rob_lewis :

Neither the Indy car fan nor sponsor base is aligned with Monaco right now.  But let's pretend for a min and that Indycar does get Monaco.  It would take an event sponsor working with the series to cover the cost of shipping the cars and team equipment over there.  I think that's how it worked when they were still racing in Brazil.   While there is a sanction fee payable to the series for events, I think for overseas events they have to come up with a package to get everything down there.  This isn't F1 where they are used to flying all over the world, and this isn't CART/CHAMP car from 20 years ago either.  The series isn't set up for international travel right now.

stroker
stroker UberDork
6/1/22 2:28 p.m.

In reply to rob_lewis :

Neither the Indy car fan nor sponsor base is aligned with Monaco right now.  But let's pretend for a min and that Indycar does get Monaco.  It would take an event sponsor working with the series to cover the cost of shipping the cars and team equipment over there.  I think that's how it worked when they were still racing in Brazil.   While there is a sanction fee payable to the series for events, I think for overseas events they have to come up with a package to get everything down there.  This isn't F1 where they are used to flying all over the world, and this isn't CART/CHAMP car from 20 years ago either.  The series isn't set up for international travel right now.

Which is a shame, because I'd bet the Aussies would love to have Indycar return at some point.  Hopefully they can recover the fans lost and rebuild it to something like its past popularity.  Somehow I doubt their plans to go to a hybrid/green format will help that.

6/1/22 3:24 p.m.
stroker said:
Hopefully they can recover the fans lost and rebuild it to something like its past popularity.  Somehow I doubt their plans to go to a hybrid/green format will help that.

It doesn't seem to have have hurt F1. The average fan doesn't care about the technology, they want racing action and interesting personalities.

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
6/1/22 3:34 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) :

What your saying is that the Cleveland Grand Prix would happen before the Monaco GP laugh

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UberDork
6/1/22 3:59 p.m.

In reply to rob_lewis :

I hadn't thought about the event fronting the bill part of it.  Makes sense, though, as most series seem to do that to some degree.  Even F1 with the required track fee to bring a race.  I agree they're not setup for international travel.  I would assume if it happened, the teams would need more than a year to plan for it.  Although, if Indy decided to "compete" against F1 on their own turf, they could really capitalize on the diversity of the field.

-Rob

stroker
stroker UberDork
6/1/22 4:10 p.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:
stroker said:
Hopefully they can recover the fans lost and rebuild it to something like its past popularity.  Somehow I doubt their plans to go to a hybrid/green format will help that.

It doesn't seem to have have hurt F1. The average fan doesn't care about the technology, they want racing action and interesting personalities.

F1 has mfgs with much, much deeper pockets and a greater vested interest in hybrid tech than do the teams of Indycar.  I fear all this will do is drive the cost of Indy teams through the roof when (IMHO) they should be doing everything in their power to reduce costs to bring in more teams and sponsors.

6/1/22 4:31 p.m.
trigun7469 said:

In reply to Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) :

What your saying is that the Cleveland Grand Prix would happen before the Monaco GP laugh

Now that I'd be on board with. Cleveland was consistently the best race on the old CART calendar.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qbGAOjeEvmloEgK2bo5PjC08ijsSAVsAOp8WTpFqNkQpk4B7vb8GY74YZpC8R2ZU