1 2
Raze
Raze SuperDork
4/3/12 7:01 a.m.

watching with interest

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
4/3/12 7:15 a.m.

I say do it. Yes it won't be as reliable as a Miata but damn it, it will be so much cooler then a Miata and the engine is better then the Miata (not more powerful but better).

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
4/3/12 7:48 a.m.

I'd say go for the '71 I had a '71 and loved the 1608 in it. But for daily driveability, the injected later ('81 and newer) cars are better. My last Spider was an '81 that I got for $100, drove home, and repaired the rust. Mechanically and electrically it was flawless for the 4 years I owned it.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
4/3/12 9:12 a.m.
Chris_V wrote: I'd say go for the '71 I had a '71 and loved the 1608 in it. But for daily driveability, the injected later ('81 and newer) cars are better. My last Spider was an '81 that I got for $100, drove home, and repaired the rust. Mechanically and electrically it was flawless for the 4 years I owned it.

Dammit stop posting pictures of your beautiful Fiat! Every time you do I have to head off to Craigslist and daydream.

Raze
Raze SuperDork
4/3/12 9:40 a.m.

My personal fav:

Coupefan
Coupefan Reader
4/3/12 4:22 p.m.

In reply to Raze:

No doubt the earlier one have clean, sexy lines. But the addition of fuel injection and electronic ignition on the later ones turn them into reliable daily drivers. Choices...

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/3/12 4:28 p.m.

simple.. buy the early one and add a late model 2litre with injection from a rusty post 80 model

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UltraDork
4/3/12 5:35 p.m.
Raze wrote: My personal fav:

Nice Tone in the background, too.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UltraDork
4/5/12 5:36 p.m.

Seeing as this has ended up as a bit of a liveblog of my Quest for the Holy Fiat, I have to report that I made an offer on the 71... moments after someone else offered $4250 for it. The seller and I both agreed that someone just overpaid by quite a bit. The 79 has vanished off Craigslist, too, so the quest continues.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0yQDB1IiMIrp8gn8DbpRXaIFB0ALowG6Xddg1txGntkpZWxo3YPLRXyarBPnSuSH