Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
4/16/18 2:18 p.m.

Like stories like this? This one is from an older issue of our magazine. You’ll see every article as soon as it's published by reading the print edition of Grassroots Motorsports. Subscribe now.

photos by alex miller and kevin zanit

If Michael Bay created a racing series in his backyard, we think it would look something like this. Well, …

Read the rest of the story

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/16/18 3:14 p.m.

I'm having a hard time believing how this is good for the track. Maybe while the plates are flat, it helps peel up old rubber and resurfaces the tarmac as they say. But as soon as someone gets hit at the wrong angle and their plate gets tilted, it's rut city.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
4/16/18 3:45 p.m.

So long every Honda Accord and Nissan Sentra ever made...

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
4/16/18 3:53 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

I'm having a hard time believing how this is good for the track. Maybe while the plates are flat, it helps peel up old rubber and resurfaces the tarmac as they say. But as soon as someone gets hit at the wrong angle and their plate gets tilted, it's rut city.

I'm not sure they are too concerned about track maintenance at places that run events like these.   I've competed a few times in schoolbus figure-8 races at Orlando Speedworld, and the track is an absolute mess by the end of the Crash-A-Rama event.   The trailer races seem to be the most damaging to the track---- those guys are insane!   Lots of gouging, things catching on fire / wheels with no tires digging into the pavement---- -it's brutal.  

Ed Higginbotham
4/16/18 3:56 p.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin :

When I wrote this article the organizers did make a point to say that the plates are good for the track. As for when something goes terribly wrong or a plate gets bent, I'm sure that would hurt the track.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/16/18 3:58 p.m.

Thanks for digging this article up Ed, looks even more fun than the wheels I found on Craigslist let on.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/17/18 10:41 a.m.

Looks like a ton of fun!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/17/18 10:51 a.m.

This thread is useless without video!

barefootskater
barefootskater Reader
4/17/18 10:54 a.m.

I've done this in parking lots in the odd corolla. Never thought about having other cars around though. The want is strong to try this out.

Ed Higginbotham
4/17/18 2:40 p.m.
SVreX said:

Orange is the new Flat Black

I got you! Look how packed those stands are. Some people are pretty darned good at it. 

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/17/18 2:46 p.m.

They did an episode on this on "Car vs. America". It was pretty hysterical.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/18/18 1:22 p.m.
Ed Higginbotham said:
SVreX said:

Orange is the new Flat Black

I got you! Look how packed those stands are. Some people are pretty darned good at it. 

That's awesome- it looks like the Sawzall Olympics!

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
4/19/18 9:24 a.m.

Skid plate? Here’s what we call skid plates

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jAvIwGKDnkdKcFvhkE8vema0D8Y7mvsrTN6NE6NbgqDh89kqNdOyLNpp8y5MF1AL