Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
11/3/21 7:58 a.m.
feature_image

We spent our last update improving the suspension of our 2001 Ford F-250 tow vehicle, finishing with a truck that drove down the road as well as anything we’ve ever towed with: no drama, no issues, no mental strain after a 10-hour tow. The perfect tow vehicle disappears from the tow, and our suspension finally had.

Too bad the driveline …

Read the rest of the story

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
11/3/21 8:44 a.m.

My goodness those rocker panels and cab corners are beautiful.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
11/3/21 9:45 a.m.

I ended up getting a different truck to solve this exact issue. Your Opa was wise.

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/3/21 11:03 a.m.

Wow! I had no idea that you could buy a Super Duty without an LSD, let alone a 4wd model. That was one of the things I looked for when I bought my '07 F150 4wd when I bought it.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
11/3/21 11:09 a.m.

I didn't either until I got stuck in the mud in my yard. laugh

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
11/3/21 1:49 p.m.

Older Fords are a lot less likely to have been equipped with and LSD from the factory as compared to GMs. There was a big upcharge and a lot of times they were not part of option packages.

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/3/21 4:51 p.m.
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) said:

I didn't either until I got stuck in the mud in my yard. laugh

Dohh!

GregAmy
GregAmy New Reader
11/4/21 9:44 a.m.

I bought a TruTrac from Summit for my '01 2WD PSD Excursion (seriously, someone bought this w/o spec'ing an LSD??)

Glad to see you like it, but can we do the install part of this ASAP? I'm about to pay someone to do it for me (not sure I know how to setup the side/backlash...c'mon, talk me into it.)

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
11/4/21 6:25 p.m.

Really clear breakdown, thank you!

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/4/21 8:14 p.m.
CAinCA said:

Wow! I had no idea that you could buy a Super Duty without an LSD, let alone a 4wd model. That was one of the things I looked for when I bought my '07 F150 4wd when I bought it.

I bought my '01 new and I seem to recall from when i ordered it that the LSD was a stand alone option.  I don't think it was particularly expensive but you had to select the box.

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
11/7/21 10:46 p.m.

Humvee's use torsen/helical differentials to great effect offroading...left foot/hand braking to provide a bit of resistance when wheel(s) in air to transfer power to ones on the ground.

Eaton Trutrac is what am going to install on my 2WD M226 Nissan Frontier 12-bolt rear end (found on all 6-speed manual, electronic-locking, and Titan rearends)... tired of spinning inside tire even more now because of removing the Front antiroll bar [for smoother ride on rough surfaces/offroad to go with 1" larger AT tires.] Also don't like brake wear the electronic traction system adds to rear pads in addition to cutting power... helical geared differential will give better traction on loose surfaces along with better turn in under power.

The factory torsen differential was great on my FR-S... would have absolutely sucked if it had an open differential.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/8/21 6:27 a.m.

Good wright up on the different types. I enjoyed that. 

GregAmy
GregAmy New Reader
12/16/21 10:40 a.m.

In reply to GregAmy :

Tom, where's our installation article...? ;)

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
12/16/21 10:47 a.m.

Working on it! But I paid somebody to do the heavy lifting here (literally). The F-250 doesn't really fit on my lift at home. 

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
12/16/21 11:08 a.m.

This is the install on my Ford 9", which is a little different than this Salisbury style rear end.

For the Salisbury (this, GM 10- and 12-bolts, Ford 8,8, etc), it's just finding the right combination of shims to have bearing pre-load with the right back lash.  I've mic'd through my local truck shops box of shims to find some that would work for me when swapping in an LSD.

WillG80
WillG80 GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/16/21 3:12 p.m.

For those with Ford Sterling 10.25 and 10.5" axles, you can buy brand new OEM Ford e-lockers for $500. The exact same unit that's in new powerstrokes. They come with a pigtail that you need to supply power to, otherwise it drops right in. 

Ford PN: BC3Z-4026-B

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
F1mRNuPmAcORjlfVYpkHwL0QqbmRGJmqAgK6gaPV4PzYXvNVXGXxxTsVCIj9sDZb