JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
3/30/21 12:06 p.m.
feature_image

Our Tundra sees the great majority of its miles with a trailer hooked to the back. As such, having a properly functioning suspension is paramount for comfort and safety.

Suspension is an often-overlooked factor in towing performance, but even the smallest trailer loaded with the lightest car can impart forces to the tow vehicle that severely test the suspension’s ability to …

Read the rest of the story

philacarguy
philacarguy New Reader
3/31/21 8:26 a.m.

that one photo of a floor jack with a pipe supporting the rear suspension is a little scary.  IF that jack rolls ( and I have seen them do that), all of a sudden that suspension drops and you crush a finger.  I'd suggest a bottle jack with that pipe. You guys are supposed to be role models for good shop behavior!

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
3/31/21 9:44 a.m.
philacarguy said:

that one photo of a floor jack with a pipe supporting the rear suspension is a little scary.  IF that jack rolls ( and I have seen them do that), all of a sudden that suspension drops and you crush a finger.  I'd suggest a bottle jack with that pipe. You guys are supposed to be role models for good shop behavior!

It's not a pipe, it's a pine 1x2, and all it's doing is holding the bottom of the shock steady so we can insert the bolt through the lower eye. 

But, yes, in general whenever doing suspension work, be respectful of the compressive energies and preloads you're dealing with. On our Tundra, the front suspension in particular has a LOT of preload in the suspension arms, so when you disconnect them they tend to release that energy quickly. 

FMB42
FMB42 Reader
3/31/21 12:38 p.m.

Yep, compressed springs are, of course, energy storage devices. Using well designed spring compressors is a must in suspension work. And wearing a face shield over proper eye protection is always a good idea. There are a some bad motorcycle and 4 wheel vehicle 'runaway' spring stories out there.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EAT80KwpYqLjC85ZwPYIbzvVD3TY7db22vNioiCeK0OBPzHlAU4BCaAEfctMXw5M