1 2
Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
6/13/16 10:02 a.m.
feature_image

The Grassroots Motorsports $2016 Challenge Driven by General Tire and sponsored by CRC Industries and Miller Electric is about three and a half months away, which means there's still time to create your own low-buck racing machine. We already have 23 entries signed up. Among the cars registered are a "Fiat SVT 1/9," a "Pontiac Ghettocet" and a Buick Roadmaster. …

Read the rest of the story

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/13/16 12:13 p.m.

Aw yeah, Roadmaster got a shout out!

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/13/16 12:50 p.m.

There's about a 20% chance that I'll have an entry. I should know more in the coming 2 weeks.

Ed Higginbotham
6/13/16 12:59 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift:

Hope to see you there!

captdownshift
6/13/16 1:20 p.m.

In reply to Ed Higginbotham:

You and me both!

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid Dork
6/13/16 1:20 p.m.

i just found out the subby wagon is not coming back if I wanted to. the frame turned out to have really bad cancer on the rear subframe and its not even safe to autocross. i will daily drive it for a little while while looking for a new challange car...sigh at least now i can get mey challange car quicker and get some time to build it....meybe at least 30 minutes build time this year instead of 15 like last time.....hehhehe

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem New Reader
6/13/16 1:57 p.m.

Has a schedule for the different events been set yet?

Ed Higginbotham
6/13/16 2:54 p.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem:

We do not have a set schedule yet, but it will most likely be similar to last year's layout: Autocross Friday morning, drag racing Friday evening and parc expose Saturday morning.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
6/13/16 3:08 p.m.

Not sure if my teammate registered us yet but I should be there.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
6/13/16 3:30 p.m.

To expand on that schedule.
Friday is the planned big day. Head to the track about 8 am.
Get your car offloaded and ready as well as tech inspection.
Autocross runs like 10:00 till 3:00. Plenty of time.
In the past, your first 6 runs count. These runs can be done by you or done by a Pro driver of your choice from the 5 or 6 on site. Plenty of time for additional "fun runs" that don't count.

After autox, a catered BBQ dinner is served at the track.

After dinner the drags are open as Temps cool in the evening air. Rough times of 6pm till 10pm for drag track. Plenty of time if your car is not breaking.

Saturday, get to track about 9am. Judging about 10:00 till 2:00.
Saturday dinner is the banquet room back at the hotel 6pm-ish giving you time to get a shower before y'all sit in close quarters.

Contingency: They'll autox in the rain but no drag allowed in the rain. The two day format does allow for the change of judging and or autox on Friday in the rain and then drags on Saturday morning so hang loose.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/13/16 3:38 p.m.

Don't forgot the Thursday late-night hotel parking lot builds!

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/13/16 5:31 p.m.

I really really hope I can attend this year, I'm holding off sending in my entrance fee because there's a chance that family issues may come up

Also.....happy to know I can have a pro driver try the autox because I'm a total noob at It. Can I split it in half and have 3 by me and 3 by someone that actually knows what's up? That way I can see how bad I'm doing lol

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
6/13/16 6:01 p.m.

In reply to Antihero:

Yeah, you can have the pro driver take none, some or all of your runs. A lot of noob entrants choose "some" and then their event becomes mostly about beating the pro. Whatever you choose, there's still BBQ and bench racing when you're done, so no real wrong answer.

Margie

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/13/16 6:28 p.m.

Last year I had the pro do the first three laps and I did the last three. He made a comment about the tires finally getting warmed up the third lap so I think this year I'll take the first three and hopefully get the tires warm for them.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem New Reader
6/13/16 6:46 p.m.
Stampie wrote: Last year I had the pro do the first three laps and I did the last three. He made a comment about the tires finally getting warmed up the third lap so I think this year I'll take the first three and hopefully get the tires warm for them.

You mean you don't have tire warmers? What kind of amateurish effort is that?

Hint: we buy electric blankets from Target during their summer sales. Best performance is from the Star Wars designer collection....

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem New Reader
6/13/16 7:11 p.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

Hey John....quick question. Will our team have to take Intoxylizer tests before we're allowed on course?

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/13/16 7:12 p.m.

pro tip - it's my darn car, no pro is sitting in my seat. i'm there to have fun and drive.

captdownshift
6/13/16 7:20 p.m.

In reply to patgizz:

Pro tip, take advantage of the opportunity to let the pro drive then ride along with you driving and get lessons from a pro.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/13/16 7:31 p.m.

Trust me I've considered that but even on sale that'd take away from my drinking budget to much.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/13/16 9:11 p.m.
captdownshift wrote: In reply to patgizz: Pro tip, take advantage of the opportunity to let the pro drive then ride along with you driving and get lessons from a pro.

1 seat

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/14/16 7:01 a.m.

In reply to patgizz:

Consider adding a seat.

Every time I ride with a pro I knock enormous chunks off my time. It's a lot more fun for me when I can drive AND get much better.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/14/16 7:02 a.m.

I might be in an RX8. Does that qualify as "interesting"?

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/14/16 7:50 a.m.
SVreX wrote: I might be in an RX8. Does that qualify as "interesting"?

Kinda depends on if it's still got doritos out front or "other".

Actually, I'm curious how it'll do either way.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/14/16 7:51 a.m.
patgizz wrote: pro tip - it's my darn car, no pro is sitting in my seat. i'm there to have fun and drive.

You can beat the pro. It's been done before.

wheels777
wheels777 Dork
6/14/16 1:06 p.m.
Ed Higginbotham wrote: ....... We already have 23 entries signed up. Among the cars registered are a "Fiat SVT 1/9," a "Pontiac Ghettocet" and a Buick Roadmaster. Sounds like a pretty great field so far, right? ....

Can you share the list at this time?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YQSOz9MaWit0aejyFajIfvhi6H6uCa7REgvRwLWzepr59l03PAeOD9Nqg1ev1t8s