1 2
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/23 8:07 p.m.
buzzboy said:

The CIS can be swapped to MS but it isn't just a bolt on. Friend has a 'squirted 560SL and it's never quite run right. Lots of weird parts in the factory setup to be replaced or modified.

That car has D-jet, not CIS.

At least, I think it is D-jet.  Bosch's "low end" fuel injection, which was a very basic form of EFI.  

The MAP sensor was a mechanical device that converted pressure to voltage!  Neat stuff.  I had to diag and repair a '74 once.  Amazingly we had no issues finding parts.

NorseDave
NorseDave HalfDork
2/23/23 8:15 p.m.
buzzboy said:

The CIS can be swapped to MS but it isn't just a bolt on. Friend has a 'squirted 560SL and it's never quite run right. Lots of weird parts in the factory setup to be replaced or modified.

I swapped out the CIS for Microsquirt on a '85 190 and indeed it is not bolt on.  And there were many teething problems, most of them my own doing since this was my first time ever doing anything with a standalone.  But once I worked through them, the 190 runs spectacularly.  Smooth idle, dead reliable (knocking on wood), makes "good" power (this is a 190 w/ 200k miles on it, so...). 

Hard for me to imagine the same can't be done for your friend's 560SL. 

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/24/23 12:44 p.m.

My grandfather recently passed away and my uncle still has his 1985 380SL with under 45k miles on it. Uncle doesnt want it due to upkeep and maintenance costs to date so i offered to take it up whenever he is willing to get it signed over.

Plan is to yank the 3.8L and stuff something smaller into it(kswap? ecoboost?) with more power and a standard transmission. Make a nice cruiser that my family and I can hop into a go on weekend joy rides with the top down. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
2/24/23 1:52 p.m.

In reply to kevinatfms :

Please don't do that ( engine swap ). To do a good job it will take a very long time to do. It's not just fit it in and align the engine.   Wiring will be difficult.  The drive shaft will need to be altered.  It's set up to be EFI   But likely not the correct pressure The ECU  won't work. Plus many of the problems are due to age and will affect the whole car.    

Then there is the whole issue of who will service it. It won't be the Mercedes Dealer.    Nor whoever supplies the engine. 
     I assume you have little mechanical skills?     Chances are really excellent the stock engine is mechanically perfect.    While it may not run now,  it's likely a whole lot easier to get it running than to do an engine swap and  then try to get it running.  
  Just get a Chiltons or other service manual.  That's what started Amazon. ( used books)  and they are still doing it. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
2/24/23 2:01 p.m.

In reply to NorseDave :

Well said.   People forget that there is a reason the car stopped running.  And just putting a fresh battery in isn't going to fix it. 
   Same thing with  swapping ECU's.   The aftermarket ones are self learning but they don't fix bad plugs or injectors etc. 

There  are forums for various  cars  and most of the ones I've been on they will bend over backwards to help you. 
        Those in the know help with short cuts, easier ways, less expensive alternatives etc. 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/25/23 12:27 p.m.

Just saw this SLC. 

Those rear plastic vents are extremely hard to find in good shape. They break quite easily. These were brand new. Pitty. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Bsc0un8JjLYZAEtUbHeYY1itMu4YBIft3aCrMJLjNjlOoXVsXZaIuon1YI7v51NT