1 2 3
John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/15/10 12:26 p.m.

high nickel iron IIRC

John Brown
7/15/10 12:31 p.m.
rogerbvonceg wrote: Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I have to say the new V-6 Mustang is the first Mustang I've felt real lust for, ever. I just read in Motor Trend that the engine is based on Ford's now ubiquitous Duratec architecture, which would make it a Ford powerplant based on a Porsche prototype from the early 90's. (Ford outsourced some initial design work to Porsche, but then made significant changes before releasing the Duratec 2.5 in the Mondeo/Contour/Mystique) Naysayers and Mazda fanbois insisted the Duratec was a "Mazda Engine" like the one in the Probe/MX-6/626 etc., but it was not. Anyway, I'm smiling big because I think by now that $6 million in engine development for the original Duratec has definitely paid off. My lust is based on the numbers. Let's see, an extra 1.2 liters of displacement, 135 more HP, 115 more ft/lbs of torque, 3 seconds faster to 60... ...and the same gas mileage... ...in a car that weighs about 500 lbs more.

Like I said... I want a bolt on hardtop 3.7L 2012 MX5 Miata with the six speed, big brakes and lightweight alloys with grippy tires... and a warranty ;)

Schmidlap
Schmidlap Reader
7/15/10 1:06 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: Since this thread got resurrected, does anyone know what the 3.7L block is made of? Is it iron or aluminum?

The 3.7L, 5L and 5.4L blocks are aluminum.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/mustang/specifications/engine/

Bob

triumph5
triumph5 Reader
7/15/10 1:30 p.m.

In reply to Will: VERY wide engine with those turbos.

John Brown
7/15/10 1:43 p.m.
Schmidlap wrote:
ReverendDexter wrote: Since this thread got resurrected, does anyone know what the 3.7L block is made of? Is it iron or aluminum?
The 3.7L, 5L and 5.4L blocks are aluminum. http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/mustang/specifications/engine/ Bob

Yowza!

More reason to love it.

alfadriver
alfadriver Dork
7/15/10 2:11 p.m.
rogerbvonceg wrote: I just read in Motor Trend that the engine is based on Ford's now ubiquitous Duratec architecture, which would make it a Ford powerplant based on a Porsche prototype from the early 90's. (Ford outsourced some initial design work to Porsche, but then made significant changes before releasing the Duratec 2.5 in the Mondeo/Contour/Mystique) Naysayers and Mazda fanbois insisted the Duratec was a "Mazda Engine" like the one in the Probe/MX-6/626 etc., but it was not.

Nice to see that Motor Trend pays attention. Oops- they don't The 3.5/3.7 in a unique architecture to the 3.0l Duratec. Maybe the same name, but totally different engine family.

(on a side note- much of the development on the Duratec was to fix what Porsche Engineering didn't get right..... P = over rated, much like most contract engineering companies).

But you are right, the 2.5/3.0 shares nothing with the Mazda 1.8/2.5l V6. Not even close to the same.

Just wanted to get that right.

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
7/15/10 2:44 p.m.

i had a 2011 mustang convertible rental in san diego for a weekend not too long ago, and was very impressed. it had plenty of power, rode nice, except when the live axle got wobbled by some railroad tracks - the sworn enemy of any live axle rear end, no matter how sorted. the car handled nice, and was just the ticket for a weekend in socal. only $8/per day more for the upgrade, btw.

this might make the earlier 4.6 GTs drop in price pretty quick-like too, no?

RossD
RossD Dork
7/15/10 3:03 p.m.

Do the 2.5/3.0 Duratec and 3.5/3.7 Duratec share a bellhousing pattern, or is that new as well?

alfadriver
alfadriver Dork
7/15/10 3:06 p.m.
RossD wrote: Do the 2.5/3.0 Duratec and 3.5/3.7 Duratec share a bellhousing pattern, or is that new as well?

Different, but there is a 3.0 Duratec that will bolt to the new 6F trans that the 3.5 was designed for.

RossD
RossD Dork
7/15/10 3:46 p.m.

at least Ford is consistently inconsistent with engine platforms. I guess that how some crazy swap can happen...

alfadriver
alfadriver Dork
7/15/10 3:54 p.m.
RossD wrote: at least Ford is consistently inconsistent with engine platforms. I guess that how some crazy swap can happen...

Well, you'll see a strong reduction in available powertrains soon.

The current 3.0 does bolt up, but that starts with the 2010 Fusion/Escape, but not earlier, and not to a manual trans... (at least FWD/AWD)

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/15/10 5:28 p.m.

How long will this latest hi-tech wonder last? Most of these small displacement hi-output engines seem to have a short life span (120K or so) before expensive repairs set in. ...sigh...I miss pushrods....

alfadriver
alfadriver Dork
7/15/10 7:03 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: How long will this latest hi-tech wonder last? Most of these small displacement hi-output engines seem to have a short life span (120K or so) before expensive repairs set in. ...sigh...I miss pushrods....

Long enough so that you can buy a used one....

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
7/15/10 7:25 p.m.

I'm thinking that when a few of them get into the junkyards it will make a good Locost donor. Could use spindles, motor and much more.

Opus
Opus Dork
7/16/10 1:46 a.m.

at the moment, unobtanium.

Only way to get it is in the mustang. Some hot rodders are drooling over the engine since it is so capable, just no wrecked cars yet. Ford is thinking about selling it via crate, but will only happen when production is in full swing and not taking from the mustang.

2002maniac
2002maniac HalfDork
7/16/10 2:58 a.m.

The funny thing is that 90% of potential buyers looking at a V6 mustang will also have a camry or accord on their list of possible next cars.

John Brown
7/16/10 6:49 a.m.

Funny, I have Mustang V6 and Hyundai Genesis 3.8 R Spec on my short list.

rogerbvonceg
rogerbvonceg Reader
7/16/10 11:23 a.m.
2002maniac wrote: The funny thing is that 90% of potential buyers looking at a V6 mustang will also have a camry or accord on their list of possible next cars.

That was said of the "old" V-6 Mustang, with market research to back it up.

If they keep coming, more power to Ford, but I think this version will attract more enthusiasts, as well. The only thing I haven't analyzed yet is the real tradeoff between the V-6 and the V-8. You can easily option a V-6 up into V-8 territory. What's the real weight/mpg penalty of the larger engine?

rogerbvonceg
rogerbvonceg Reader
7/16/10 11:34 a.m.
alfadriver wrote:
rogerbvonceg wrote: I just read in Motor Trend that the engine is based on Ford's now ubiquitous Duratec architecture, which would make it a Ford powerplant based on a Porsche prototype from the early 90's. (Ford outsourced some initial design work to Porsche, but then made significant changes before releasing the Duratec 2.5 in the Mondeo/Contour/Mystique) Naysayers and Mazda fanbois insisted the Duratec was a "Mazda Engine" like the one in the Probe/MX-6/626 etc., but it was not.
Nice to see that Motor Trend pays attention. Oops- they don't The 3.5/3.7 in a unique architecture to the 3.0l Duratec. Maybe the same name, but totally different engine family. (on a side note- much of the development on the Duratec was to fix what Porsche Engineering didn't get right..... P = over rated, much like most contract engineering companies). But you are right, the 2.5/3.0 shares nothing with the Mazda 1.8/2.5l V6. Not even close to the same. Just wanted to get that right.

Thanks for the correction. That's why I cited MT. I knew there had been some confusing branding with "Duratec."

As for Ford "fixing" the prototype, I'm not so sure about that. I mean, take it for what it's worth, but word I have is that Porsche built the engine precisely to Ford spec, but changes in the packaging (i.e., engine bay dimensions) meant Ford had to make significant changes. The P-engine was a couple inches longer, overall, with fairly large airboxes in the intake manifold. Ford had to shorten the engine to fit it in the bay, and shrink the intake setup to fit it under the hood, which, IIRC, necessitated the two-stage intake (and robbed us of quite a few ponies in the process.)

But, hey, I wasn't there. It's all just stuff I heard on the intarweb, and I'm sure the correct answer depends on who you ask.

Moparman
Moparman Reader
7/16/10 11:43 a.m.

In reply to kreb:

What is going on at Ford is Alan Mulally. The man save Boeing and is an engineer by trade. He knows what works and what doesn't I have so much faith in him that I, Moparman, purchased Ford common stock earlier this year.

alfadriver
alfadriver Dork
7/16/10 12:51 p.m.
rogerbvonceg wrote: But, hey, I wasn't there.

I was.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
7/16/10 1:40 p.m.
Opus wrote:
ReverendDexter wrote: Is it iron or aluminum?
at the moment, unobtanium. Only way to get it is in the mustang.

You say that as if it's a bad thing

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/16/10 2:41 p.m.
Moparman wrote: In reply to kreb: What is going on at Ford is Alan Mulally. The man save Boeing and is an engineer by trade. He knows what works and what doesn't I have so much faith in him that I, Moparman, purchased Ford common stock earlier this year.

I'm embarrased that I previously knew nothing of the man. I just read the Wikipedia post on him, and wow! He really seems to be a hero. That's one exec I won't begrudge his 7-figure sallary.

John Brown
7/16/10 2:54 p.m.

Someone once said in regards to Mulallys salary "I know how much money he makes, I would still buy that man a beer."

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/16/10 8:49 p.m.

I saw something that said the F150 is now going to get this engine as the base engine, detuned slightly and hoping for 25mpg.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wmyXTqWNmopQ5otmtnSQvsEUTnV5TU5W1t9xwRzE9lHuzNQjk79Lsf6sPM6Oxfis