Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/6/21 3:21 p.m.
feature_image

Back in April, Lotus teased us with its latest sports car, the Emira, and informed the world that it would be the last Lotus built with an internal combustion engine.

Now, we know what the Emira looks like–and what it’ll come powered by.

Like many previous Lotus models, the Emira will be a mid-engine sports car with two poweprlants available: The familiar …

Read the rest of the story

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
7/6/21 3:30 p.m.

I like it.  Looks almost pretty on the outside and I like the size.  Interior looks about right to me maybe besides the not entirely round steering wheel.  Two liter turbo four with a real manual trans sounds like a nice combination.

Time to win the lottery?

CLH
CLH GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/6/21 4:11 p.m.

Like yes

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/6/21 4:18 p.m.

If it's the 2.0L turbo four from the GLA AMG 45, that'll be slick. 

Deep down inside I've always wished that lotus would've done an aluminum low displacement high revving naturally aspirated V8 in one of their modern chassis. They're such a direct chassis and yet nearly all have forced induction engines. And while I love boost, the directness and response of a V8 that's under 4L and revs north of 8 grand would've been such a pleasure in those chassis. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/6/21 4:44 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

I'm not sure Lotus has had the money for engine development for some time.

Of course, neither did TVR and they built several (two? three?) unique engines in the late 90s. Although that's maybe not the ideal role model.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/6/21 4:55 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Yeah I kind of figured that they would've had to partner with someone for development and potentially do a dry sump setup and flat plane crank in house. I guess other parties weren't interested as such engines aren't stellar at making torque and moving mass and most partner applications would've had another 1000lb on the Lotus. If Toyota would've been willing to cut 2 cylinders from the LFA engine...

pres589 (djronnebaum)
7/6/21 5:02 p.m.

I believe TVR made money during the years they were developing and building the AJP motors.  It would be interesting to see if Lotus was able to make positive profits on the Esprit V8 project.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/7/21 8:37 a.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

Has Lotus ever managed to make positive profits on any project?

pres589 (djronnebaum)
7/7/21 8:58 a.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

Has Lotus ever managed to make positive profits on any project?

I bet they made money on the Elite/Eclat/Excel cars.  Also the original Elan based on how the company grew during that production run.  Same with the 7.  They also sold their slant-four motor to outside companies for use in sporty cars, so I imagine that was a net positive project, especially when considering how long the tooling was used. 

RichardSIA
RichardSIA HalfDork
7/7/21 12:17 p.m.

So sad.
I will console myself by doing some work on a true Chapman Lotus, my Europa/Gordini.    EV = ∞Ω

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/7/21 1:04 p.m.

Good looking car, looks like a toned-down Evija. It'll be interesting to see their first sub-7-digit EV.

Any time I feel nostalgic for ICE noises and shifting I'll try to remember all the ICE reliability issues...but the performance advantage of a solid wall of torque, ideally sent through individual wheel-motors offering better traction than any diff could, might make me forget about the theatre of an ICE anyway.

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
7/7/21 8:02 p.m.

According to Harry on Harry's Garage, the manual trans is only available with the 6 cylinder.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
7/7/21 9:01 p.m.
NorseDave said:

According to Harry on Harry's Garage, the manual trans is only available with the 6 cylinder.

See his report from the official launch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7PT8eFG8Tc

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/7/21 9:02 p.m.

Pluses:  Great looking.  Nice balance of power options.  Priced about the same as the C8 but looks better.

Negative:  Probable cost to own and operate. (in terms of downtime and money)

Just read Jay Leno's article in Hagerty magazine.   He has totally bought in to the electric revolution.  Has great arguments for his stance.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/7/21 11:10 p.m.
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) said:

Pluses:  Great looking.  Nice balance of power options.  Priced about the same as the C8 but looks better.

Negative:  Probable cost to own and operate. (in terms of downtime and money)

Just read Jay Leno's article in Hagerty magazine.   He has totally bought in to the electric revolution.  Has great arguments for his stance.

Probably similar to his comments with James May when he looked at the Hydrogen powered Honda.

Basically, they'll do for Horses what the car did.  Make them the stuff of people who enjoy them to play with and pamper.  Might raise the costs for some of us, but might not as well.  Hard to predict the future right now.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA HalfDork
7/7/21 11:40 p.m.

I can only hope no one here thinks Jay actually defines or determines this hobby and industries future!

The guy who can afford to have his own bespoke Turbine car built, down to a one-off hydro-formed frame (Tooling cost?) a turbocharged "Tank car" that uses gas faster than a station can pump it, and more ICE cars than anyone since Bill Harrah is not exactly the average enthusiast. 

Of course Jay can "embrace" EV's, he actually has a couple of originals, and even External Combustion Steam cars.
I give him points for keeping them all registered and driven, but he has no influence on MY automotive future. ∞Ω

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
02pRPTlP9HdQfXVjnepwt0vCYBehrYtmuAm51y3osd7LzYkMKpAlzapibsJpPHWC