Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/26/11 11:30 a.m.

Saw this commercial on YouTube. Neat commercial, but kind of ironic considering all Charger's have computer-controlled automatic transmissions only, drive-by-wire, and non-fully-defeatable traction and stability control.

We will never let the computers take our cars? Riiiiiiiight...

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Reader
4/26/11 11:53 a.m.

I think it's more of the drivers commercial. Meaning it's not a car that is going to drive you.

Yes no manual trans, traction control you can't shut off, and all sorts of computer gadgetry, but it's still a fun car. For a guy who has owned many large sedans and enjoys them, it's a definitely a fun car to drive.

Needs a manual though.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/26/11 12:29 p.m.

Historically, there have been quite a few mopars that strike me as very tasty.

But for several years now, in design and advertising, they seem to me to be the car company of people who only use the red and black crayons.

Though I would love a Fiat 500 in either color...

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/26/11 2:29 p.m.

the 500 is the only new car on my radar now.. but I am going to wait to see if the Abarth version pokes it's head over here

racerdave600
racerdave600 HalfDork
4/26/11 4:10 p.m.

I've been considering a new car too, but am going to wait awhile on the Abarth version.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
4/26/11 6:29 p.m.

Good ad. Yours is obviously a sequel to this one. For REAL irony, watch both of those, and then watch

BTW, if you want irony, watch those two commercials, and then this one.

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
4/26/11 6:52 p.m.

...and now a word from our sponsors.....

I can't watch all those commercials. I try to avoid commercials as much as possible. Very few are worth watching. Most make be more dumber.

KATYB
KATYB Reader
4/26/11 7:12 p.m.

not that its easy but the tcs can be turned completely off. i dont know the procedure but its so u can out it into dyno mode, thus it is defeatable just a pita.

Javelin
4/26/11 7:13 p.m.
JoeyM wrote: Good ad. Yours is obviously a sequel to this one. For REAL irony, watch both of those, and then watch BTW, if you want irony, watch those two commercials, and then this one.

Flipping HILARIOUS!!!!

Javelin
4/26/11 7:14 p.m.
KATYB wrote: not that its easy but the tcs can be turned completely off. i dont know the procedure but its so u can out it into dyno mode, thus it is defeatable just a pita.

I dunno about the 2011's, but the original 05-10 (or whatever) Charger, it was 100% non-defeatable. We went through heck working with those POS systems for the military.

huge-O-chavez
huge-O-chavez SuperDork
4/26/11 7:14 p.m.

Most iconic Mopar ad ever.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzqG21L3VQ4 (NSFW)

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
4/26/11 7:36 p.m.
huge-O-chavez wrote: Most iconic Mopar ad ever.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzqG21L3VQ4 (NSFW)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

KATYB
KATYB Reader
4/26/11 7:39 p.m.

hmmm wierd.....

KATYB
KATYB Reader
4/26/11 7:40 p.m.

ya use a diablo sport tuner and it there is an option to turn off tcs stability abs ect....

KATYB
KATYB Reader
4/26/11 7:42 p.m.

http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/cl55-amg-cl65-amg-cl63-amg-w215-w216/68482-cl-dyno-mode.html also mercedes trick...

KATYB
KATYB Reader
4/26/11 7:55 p.m.

now dynomode does not defeat the yaw and steering angle sensors for driving through the twisties fast will throw the car into limp mode.

Vigo
Vigo Dork
4/27/11 11:18 a.m.

Every traction control system is defeatable. Unplug the wheel speed sensors. Dont like your EBD, ABS, Stability Control, etc? Unplug the abs.

In other words: try harder.

JoeyM that is fricking HILARIOUS.

Javelin
4/27/11 11:42 a.m.
Vigo wrote: Every traction control system is defeatable. Unplug the wheel speed sensors. Dont like your EBD, ABS, Stability Control, etc? Unplug the abs. In other words: try harder. JoeyM that is fricking HILARIOUS.

So you're saying that somebody that just dropped $40K + on a 400+ HP SRT8 has to disable the ABS brakes, set a permanent CEL, and possibly have the car go into limp mode just to be able to turn off a TCS he/she didn't want? That's pretty stupid.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 Dork
4/27/11 12:19 p.m.

The ad has nothing to do with a car. They're selling a belief. Much more powerful than any feature of a car if the message connects with the audience. I suspect this one does connect with a number of people. It's kind of like Subaru ads that appeal to "tree huggers" when their product has no outstanding environmental features. It's a "values" sell. And when it's done well, it doesn't have to have any basis in reality. Kind of like Trump and Obama's birt.... ahhhh. Gotcha!

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/27/11 12:45 p.m.

like the toyota prius ads where an "image" of the car is built of twigs and natural items.. Many times belief is more powerful than the truth

ronholm
ronholm Reader
4/27/11 2:44 p.m.

Dodge Charger Commercial...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5kSNwAidSk

Vigo
Vigo Dork
4/27/11 2:59 p.m.
So you're saying that somebody just dropped $40K + ? That's pretty stupid.

Fixed it for ya, buddy.

Javelin
4/27/11 3:02 p.m.
ronholm wrote: Dodge Charger Commercial... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5kSNwAidSk

Awesome commercial, but that ain't the Charger 500. At least not the 69 version with the flush back window and exposed headlights with flush grill.

Vigo
Vigo Dork
4/27/11 3:20 p.m.

So you're saying they banned the commercial because dodge made their own commercial wrong? Or because they werent allowed to make a 1970 option package different from a 69 option package?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IuhHmzzf21HQ47Y4X0MSKdbMA0QFW7Mz0Fdkc3GPDDYmla7cbmDnP7ClVgSLu0dU