1 2
frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
12/6/22 4:24 p.m.

Could I achieve similar or greater power gains by fabricating a turbo set up on an ICE? 
  My ego may be writing checks I can't actually cash, but yes I believe it's possible.  
        Warranty?   What on a 45 year old engine?   
  But satisfaction?   I gotta believe it's worth it.  
     Maybe that's why I actually race rather than virtually race in a Simulator. But I doubt most people would feel that way.  

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
12/6/22 5:05 p.m.

You've been a good boy this year and tis the season.  This seems like a super reasonable HP upgrade.  A lot of our future HP upgrades will be software not hardware related.  I'm told the Plaid and the Standard S have amazing similarities overall.  There are some obvious mechanical differences like Cheetah mode, wheels/tires, etc. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/6/22 5:10 p.m.
frenchyd said:

Could I achieve similar or greater power gains by fabricating a turbo set up on an ICE? 
  My ego may be writing checks I can't actually cash, but yes I believe it's possible.  
     Maybe that's why I actually race rather than virtually race in a Simulator. But I doubt most people would feel that way.  

This is literally not relevant in any way to this thread. 

Nockenwelle
Nockenwelle New Reader
12/6/22 5:14 p.m.

If you go through with the update, the car will become a hostile participant in an AI takeover of mankind by VIKI...

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/6/22 5:15 p.m.

I just went to their website, the starting price is lower than I would have expected from Volvo (sorry Polestar). But I'd want it with everything, which makes it a $68k proposition. 

At that point, what's another $1200? 

NorseDave
NorseDave HalfDork
12/6/22 5:22 p.m.

On my ~130 hp car, yes, I'd jump at that.  On a 400+ hp car?  Meh, lots of better things to do with $1200.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
12/6/22 5:59 p.m.

My previous engine in the Datsun made 73hp at the wheels (stock is 40).

JDM engine $450

Machine work $350

Uprated valve springs $125

Cam regrind $100

Flat slide carbs $250 (this was the deal of the century)

Header $125

So $1400 for 33 more horsepower at the wheels.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/6/22 10:02 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

Percentage-wise, that'a heck of a deal.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
12/7/22 12:11 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

In reply to Tom1200 :

Percentage-wise, that'a heck of a deal.

It is! I nearly doubled the horsepower for $1400. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
12/7/22 8:44 a.m.
z31maniac said:
frenchyd said:

You really aught to ease up on attacking me.  The question was is the power increase worth the cost.   Since many others compared ICE power increases  for similar costs. It's on point. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
12/7/22 9:39 a.m.
Duke said:
Keith Tanner said:

Maybe it's optimized code that wasn't available when the car came out.

You can get Polestar tunes for nearly all Volvos.  My V60 has it.  Being an ICE drivetrain it does some nice little things like fatten the midrange torque and shift the AWD torque split aft a bit.

Basically they thin the margins somewhat to tweak more power out of the vehicle - as someone says above, most of that $1200 is in amortizing the higher warranty costs for owners who chose to push the envelope a little.

DirtyBird222 said:

If we look at it the way it should be dissected, why isn't it just sold this way? I mean this is worlds better than the Mercedes subscription bullE36 M3 for more power. This type of nonsense is what I suspected from the EV world.

It's the same for Volvo ICE vehicles as well.

They don't just do it for all cars all the time because taking that extra power out of the stress and reliability margins opens liability for more warranty claims.  90% of the buyers aren't going to notice the difference anyway, so why take on more warranty exposure for the vast majority of the cars on the road?  Doing it this way means that the 10% who do care get the privilege of paying for the increased risk they generate.

Spoken like a true accountant :) 

calteg
calteg SuperDork
12/7/22 10:07 a.m.

Having just been faced with this in my ICE Volvo V60, I ended up with a firm "no."  Granted, different use case, as the Polestar ICE tune doesn't actually increase HP, just fattens the curve a bit and changes the transmission mapping. At $1300, it didn't seem worth it. Interestingly, the chatter seems to be that dealers are able to set their own prices for the reflash, and some claim their dealership will do it for as low as $500...

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/7/22 10:26 a.m.
frenchyd said:
z31maniac said:
frenchyd said:

You really aught to ease up on attacking me.  The question was is the power increase worth the cost.   Since many others compared ICE power increases  for similar costs. It's on point. 

At the absolute most generic, basic level - the thread title -  your post was marginally on-topic.

Having actually read the original post, your answer is firmly returned to the Land Of Complete Irrelevance.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
12/7/22 10:59 a.m.

This software is included in the Performance Pack option for all dual motor 2023 models (more comprehensive than just a flash tune). That option costs $5500. So, this flash tune is essentially just the software component to bring previous dual motor Polestar 2's (with or without the Performance Pack option) up to current Performance Pack power levels.

Is it going to be noticeable in a heavy commuter EV? I don't know that going from 4.5 sec to 4.2 sec for 0-60 time will be something anybody is likely to truly notice in a daily driver. I do think it's a better deal for owners that did not choose the Performance Pack than it is for those that have already paid for that option, and are now expected to pay $1200 more just to bring the car up to current performance levels. Hopefully the Performance Pack used to be about $1200 less expensive to offset that.

bumpsteer
bumpsteer New Reader
12/7/22 3:14 p.m.

That's great value in power/dollar with warranty, but if I wanted a to spend ~$60k on a performance-oriented compact-ish sedan I would rather have a base CT4V Blackwing than a Polestar 2 with all the performance boxes ticked, personally. But if that's what floats your boat, I'm glad that option exists! 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
12/7/22 4:31 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Take that budget and spend it on a EBay turbo and pieces for your average Chevy and the power and torque available would greatly exceed  what was offered. 
      I'll grant you that if all you are going to use it for is bragging rights. Fine!  Go ahead.  There are people who think like that and that's fine for them.   
      Racers like a fair number of those who have responded would disagree.  That's fine too. 
I guess it depends on your priorities. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/8/22 8:01 a.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to Duke :

Take that budget and spend it on a EBay turbo and pieces for your average Chevy and the power and torque available would greatly exceed  what was offered. 

May well be true.

Yet also completely irrelevant to the actual topic.  Please do explain how much power your EBay turbo will add to an electric vehicle.

And I'll ignore the passive-aggressive rest of your post.

Tall and Awkward
Tall and Awkward Reader
12/8/22 9:44 a.m.

This is fascinating to me from a socioeconomic angle. The subjective value of the upgrade feels less important than the story a potential buyer formulates while making their decision, although it's certainly a factor.

If I felt the vehicle was being intentionally limited from the factory for no other reason than to create pricing tiers, it would color the story a certain way. Unethical? Not in my opinion - it's a free market. Insofar as "relationship-building" with the manufacturer goes, it doesn't feel awesome. Still, it's up to the consumer.

Conversely, with some understanding as to the "why" and "how" behind the upgrade and the pricing, as with the warranty amortization explanation, I'd be more inclined as a buyer to feel good about my purchase. It's not as if I expect a company to lose money just to be "fair."

I'm curious - does anyone know how this would affect resale value?

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
12/8/22 12:37 p.m.
Tall and Awkward said:

This is fascinating to me from a socioeconomic angle. The subjective value of the upgrade feels less important than the story a potential buyer formulates while making their decision, although it's certainly a factor.

If I felt the vehicle was being intentionally limited from the factory for no other reason than to create pricing tiers, it would color the story a certain way. Unethical? Not in my opinion - it's a free market. Insofar as "relationship-building" with the manufacturer goes, it doesn't feel awesome. Still, it's up to the consumer.

Conversely, with some understanding as to the "why" and "how" behind the upgrade and the pricing, as with the warranty amortization explanation, I'd be more inclined as a buyer to feel good about my purchase. It's not as if I expect a company to lose money just to be "fair."

Agree and well said.

Your statement got me thinking about the aftermarket and how they fall into the EV world in terms of "go fast." We already know Chevy doesn't like 3rd parties altering ECUs and tried to use the DMCA to prevent and protect the such. Without going into a thesis statement and going back to my first comment in this thread, I feel a lot of the EV push is a way for manufactures to fatten that bottom line on multiple fronts that all stem from complete control of the vehicle. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/8/22 1:54 p.m.
Tall and Awkward said:

My guess, is nothing to minimal. Since if someone bought the car used and wanted the "tune" they could just buy it. 

It's not like a differing trim level or vehicle color.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
12/8/22 2:01 p.m.
Tall and Awkward said:

A big portion of Chevy's marketing strength was derived from  their position  in the Hot Rod and Racing field.  
    The question is has the market changed enough  that they can forego  that market segment?   
   In other words is the EV crowd more interested in bragging rights than actual  competition?   Simulators VS race track?  

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
12/8/22 2:06 p.m.
frenchyd said:

A big portion of Chevy's marketing strength was derived from  their position  in the Hot Rod and Racing field.  
    The question is has the market changed enough  that they can forego  that market segment?   
   In other words is the EV crowd more interested in bragging rights than actual  competition?   Simulators VS race track?  

That was probably true in the 60s, but in general, the average car buyer is far more appliance-oriented at this point regardless of brand.  Even for performance models.  So trying to appeal to racers may gain a few sales, but not a lot, as with the variety of used stuff available (compared to 50 years ago) far fewer people are going to spend new car money on something for racing. 

Toebra
Toebra Dork
12/8/22 9:03 p.m.

Y'all best not start looking at the Porsche website if this much money per horsepower has you wondering

German horses are apparently more important, so they cost more.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
12/9/22 7:34 a.m.

In reply to rslifkin :

You make an excellent point. Even I approach cars ( transportation ) as an appliance rather than anything sporting or potentially fun.  ( For that I look to vintage /historic.) 

I can't wrap my head around cars except to draw up a spread sheet for my wife  comparing costs and benefits.  She could care less about sporty pretentions. 

calteg
calteg SuperDork
12/9/22 9:21 a.m.
Tall and Awkward said:

How this would affect resale value?

Depends largely on if it stays with the car, or with the owner. Tesla seems to believe the latter and strips any "upgrades" away if they find out the car has changed hands. Personally I believe that's wildly unethical, but that's another rant entirely

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ga29WQphvmLseAyQU6R2ZOgRcd0uy5LCEp360xbrRRh7aJezU27egVWT3R7fMJ95