1 2
L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Reader
8/13/20 5:13 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Pure water is itself an anti detonant, up to 2x the amount of gasoline injected in highly forced induction applications. 

Semi off topic. This comment reminded me of the kits that were around in the 70s (maybe earlier) that, as I recall, used a container of water with a rubber hose mounted to the air cleaner housing to draw vapor into the carb. Were those a crude but similar way of increasing "octane"?

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
8/13/20 5:13 p.m.

Frenchyd, did you use the water injection on the S-2?

I used it twice on a Swearingen Merlin 3C. It provided full torque  on a 95 degree day 2100 feet above sea level. Without the water methanol  we would have been waiting for cooler temperatures to take off.  I recall that it dropped the egt about 200 degrees Celsius . 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/14/20 12:20 p.m.
L5wolvesf said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Pure water is itself an anti detonant, up to 2x the amount of gasoline injected in highly forced induction applications. 

Semi off topic. This comment reminded me of the kits that were around in the 70s (maybe earlier) that, as I recall, used a container of water with a rubber hose mounted to the air cleaner housing to draw vapor into the carb. Were those a crude but similar way of increasing "octane"?

More or less, yes.  People were trying to run 60s high compression (for the combustion chamber shapes) engines on increasingly poor fuel quality.

Of course, nowadays it is nothing to run 13:1, or 11:1 with boost, on 87 octane.  But combustion chamber shape and engine cooling theory has come a long way since then, as has engine management.

stonebreaker
stonebreaker New Reader
11/12/21 6:50 a.m.

In reply to Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) :

All but detonation resistance.  The most detonation resistance comes with a 50/50 water/meth mix for most cars.  Plus, 100% methanol is fairly corrosive.  Not all meth injection kits are rated for 100% meth.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
11/12/21 3:55 p.m.
pilotbraden said:

Frenchyd, did you use the water injection on the S-2?

I used it twice on a Swearingen Merlin 3C. It provided full torque  on a 95 degree day 2100 feet above sea level. Without the water methanol  we would have been waiting for cooler temperatures to take off.  I recall that it dropped the egt about 200 degrees Celsius . 

No.  The S2 was intended for low altitude searching for submarines. Since we used 115/145 fuel,  detonation wasn't a possibility. 
in fact the NATOPS manual required supplemental  Oxygen  for pilots and crew any flight over 10,000 ft and our operational ceiling was 13,000 ft. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rD7ztP9enLThzO5DQZd7zWFrIb0tU1dWETrLUB8sW8b6jsOXe5xysoM0ZlqEjsoh