BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture Dork
6/14/15 8:15 p.m.

If there is one thing I've learned here at GRM, It's this: Free cars ain't.

Bear with me here, I've got zero Nissan knowledge...

So I got a FREE 1991 pathfinder from a friend who cant keep it anymore. Thing has rust, frame rot, exhaust rot, but all in all it's still pretty spiffy. Honestly, It runs like a top.

Problem is, heat blows cold and the temp gauge shows max cold nearly all the time. Sometimes shoots up around normal then drops back. As the ride home went on, it eventually stopped moving from 'C'.

The E fan he installed is on a separate sensor that is also place high up in the cooling system, it also does not come on w/o the AC switch also being on.

This all lead me to look in the overflow bottle while its running and sure enough, there is air bubbles coming up. Reminded me of when a Subaru's head gasket is blown.

I tried the bleed procedure, but what I read says you need some funky funnel, so instead I just put fluid into the bleed port (it took very little) and closed it up while cold.

My question is: Nissan guys, would an unproperly bled coolant system cause airbubbles to come out in the overflow bottle? My thinking here is this, those bubbles need a source, if it was just trapped air, eventually it'd solve itself... right?

I think all signs point to head gasket. So what does GRM think? Is it on its death bed?

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/14/15 8:57 p.m.

Seems sketchy. You can probably part it out fairly easily.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
6/15/15 5:00 a.m.

Nissan is recalling those for rust. Turn it into them for cash.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
6/15/15 7:22 a.m.

Its worth more as parts and scrap.

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture Dork
6/15/15 11:49 a.m.

Its just a damn shame, I've never come across a car where everything on the outside worked so nicely and under the surface was so junky. Oh well.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0zpZcymJXHUoZvXEqs5E5oDuKuXOh5BSt6GGbRQBTXrVnuikoDBRAoyOD0GDN503