1 2 3 ... 5
Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy SuperDork
6/15/12 1:53 p.m.

I saw two of these today, and I think if I was ever unfortunate enough to own one of these cars, the first trip would be to Tirerack.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/15/12 1:56 p.m.

Not even remotely close.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/15/12 1:57 p.m.

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
6/15/12 2:03 p.m.

Streetwiseguy, you don't know ugly wheels.

Ranger50
Ranger50 SuperDork
6/15/12 2:04 p.m.

There is nothing wrong with turbines.

Now the Ronal Teddypedobear on the other hand.....

Or the possible inadvertent penis wheel:

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
6/15/12 2:06 p.m.

Now what is wrong with tri-bars???

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Dork
6/15/12 2:07 p.m.

I love those wheels!!!!!!!

If I didn't hate VW's so much I may even buy that car just for the wheels.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/15/12 2:09 p.m.

Alan got the teddy bear Ronals that immediately sprang to mind, but there are still some horribles to mention...

Ronal daisy:

Ewww (EDIT: Ranger50 beat me to this one. I guess any search in any way related to awful wheels will wind up here...):

And the whole family of B.C. Rich-esque wheels...

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
6/15/12 2:11 p.m.

Matt B
Matt B Dork
6/15/12 2:11 p.m.

Is it bad I kinda like the CRX "4-holes"?

Frank-n-beans wheels are the best of the worst!

Here's my contribution:

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
6/15/12 2:13 p.m.

Ohmygod, I had entirely forgotten about the two and three spoke dub wheels. I've seen a lot of those on the street, and they're atrocious. On Dodge Intrepids, of all things. Mind boggling.

jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
6/15/12 2:13 p.m.
mndsm wrote:

In the employee parking area of my local McD's is a first gen CRV sporting these rims. Bad combination.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/15/12 2:14 p.m.

There was a wheel a while back that had just a single massive bar on it, looked kinda like the steering wheel on an old Citroen. Behold the wonderful Enkei 2000!

Nothing wrong with the 1990-93 Miata wheels.

failboat
failboat Dork
6/15/12 2:15 p.m.

I think...I like more wheels than I hate in this thread.

Ok thats not true but so far I do genuinely like about 4 of them.

singleslammer
singleslammer Reader
6/15/12 2:16 p.m.

I think that I win!

Some kid in my town had these on his gen 1 neon. He promptly flipped his car going to fast on a car cruise over some hills. Anyone from MO remember that? It was 2006 I think.

pres589
pres589 Dork
6/15/12 2:23 p.m.

Miata "daisy" wheels seem pretty fantastic actually, I'm with Keith on that one, and I actually put a set of the 14" Mustang multi-spoke wheels on my Capri. They're really weird, the face is rubber applied to a steel wheel. Mine came sans center caps and I don't think that was a bad thing really. They're not gorgeous but if that's the worst wheel you know of, you're a very lucky person.

B430
B430 New Reader
6/15/12 2:28 p.m.

I think pretty much every wheel marketed for trucks falls into this category. Why must the spokes always be totally flat? Then shaped in the ugliest way possible. And to top it all off paint random parts of the wheel black then chrome the rest.

Seeing a truck with aftermarket wheels that look better than stock is a rare occurrence for me.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
6/15/12 2:34 p.m.

and this was local. Came of my own phone.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
6/15/12 2:45 p.m.
B430 wrote: I think pretty much every wheel marketed for trucks falls into this category. Why must the spokes always be totally flat? Then shaped in the ugliest way possible. And to top it all off paint random parts of the wheel black then chrome the rest. Seeing a truck with aftermarket wheels that look better than stock is a rare occurrence for me.

I have to agree with this... at least for trucks with 17" or larger wheels.

My dad wanted a second set of wheels for his Tundra for his birthday (18x8). Went to Tirerack... I love browsing for wheels. W... T.... F...

Everything looks exactly as B430 described. Black, or chrome, random mixes of the two, 30mm lower offset, fugly spokes, crazy patterns, etc. Some didn't look bad, but nothing you'd expect of a mid 50s guy who just uses his truck for the basics and for towing a large camper. Ended up paying $500 (!!) for a used set of Sequoia wheels off ebay, which look way better than anything TR offered.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/15/12 2:46 p.m.

I really like the look of the veedub wheels, but they look like they're cruising for the worst case of curb rash ever!

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
6/15/12 2:54 p.m.

this is what was on my T Type when i got it..

this is what was put on my T Type at the factory..

i'll leave it up to everyone's personal taste to decide which were worse..

but one must never, ever forget the Mustang TRX wheels..

ditchdigger
ditchdigger SuperDork
6/15/12 3:03 p.m.

American racing Estrella

Oh hell. Just about any modern-ish American Racing wheel that isn't based on a 60's wheel

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/15/12 3:12 p.m.
ditchdigger wrote: Oh hell. Just about any modern-ish American Racing wheel that isn't based on a 60's wheel

Yeah, when did they hire H.R. Giger?

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
6/15/12 3:25 p.m.
mndsm wrote:

These look really odd, but when they're cruising along at about 15mph, I can't help but like them. In motion, they are fascinating. OTOH, I won't be running out to get a set for the Stang either.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant Dork
6/15/12 3:31 p.m.

Chrysler Kelsey-Hayes "Recall Wheels"

Not that they're ugly, but because there was a cracking problem ...

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
70LhvLPndZbvWvnFApCQJbpUfO0QJqRvbS37fJoI5EBEKwPfqHEXLpUGrW9iiIIB