1 2 3 4 5
wspohn
wspohn Reader
6/15/12 4:05 p.m.

I have never understood why the urge to customize a car by putting non-stock wheels on it isn't conditioned by any semblance of good taste in choosing something that looks, better, not (sometimes far) worse than what the factory stuck on there.

I see all manner of alloy replacement wheels on the Solstices and none of them seem to me to be an improvement over stock (mine are an optional wheel). The fact that someoen paid as much as $50 (!) for a Chinese piece of crap that may collapse on them at any time somehow doesn't make the situation any better.....

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/15/12 4:58 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Not even remotely close.

The daisies look much better without the centre cap . . .

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/15/12 5:20 p.m.
Keith wrote: Nothing wrong with the 1990-93 Miata wheels.

Wrong number of spokes = eternally ugly to me. It's like the 6-spoke "Torque Thrust" wheels you see all over on GM trucks. They make me want to vomit uncontrollably.

Grizz
Grizz Dork
6/15/12 5:25 p.m.

So I guess I'm the only one who would rock a set of Ronal Teddies on a race car for E36 M3s and giggles?

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/15/12 5:38 p.m.
Grizz wrote: So I guess I'm the only one who would rock a set of Ronal Teddies on a race car for E36 M3s and giggles?

At one point perhaps, but not with the whole Pedo-bear meme now . . .

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/15/12 5:50 p.m.
Javelin wrote:
Keith wrote: Nothing wrong with the 1990-93 Miata wheels.
Wrong number of spokes = eternally ugly to me. It's like the 6-spoke "Torque Thrust" wheels you see all over on GM trucks. They make me want to vomit uncontrollably.

I've always felt an odd number of spokes looked better than an even number myself. Less chance of having them almost-but-not-quite lined up with horizontal or vertical. And the spoke was taken out for an excellent reason - it was the only way to get the weight down to the desired level!

I have no further ugly wheels to post at this time. The Enkei 2000 was my big gun.

thestig99
thestig99 Reader
6/15/12 5:54 p.m.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
6/15/12 6:17 p.m.

I really like the VW wheels. They remind me of these Alfa wheels I also think are well done:

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker UltimaDork
6/15/12 6:20 p.m.

90% of all wheels ever made are ugly.

With the exception of panasports and "like" wheels, Fuchs and "like wheels and the occasional BBS design everything is suspect.

ScottRA21
ScottRA21 Reader
6/15/12 6:22 p.m.

For me, seriously....anything "Three" spoke.

I also have some serious loathing for a lot of "JDM" wheels...

I also find these utterly repulsive:

How can anyone find these attractive?

Blah...

chaparral
chaparral Reader
6/15/12 6:42 p.m.

I had a set of Kartech kart wheels with beadlocks that always leaked.

They weren't ugly, per se, but they had me swearing whenever the tire went flat (usually while on the way to a podium finish).

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Reader
6/15/12 6:42 p.m.

I like most of the super geometric wheels of the 80s, such as the above and the CRX wheel from the first page.

Some others:

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Reader
6/15/12 7:01 p.m.

I kind of wish I didn't come in here. So much hideousness in one place... I feel dirty. BRB must scrub off filth.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/15/12 7:04 p.m.

I can't find a good pic right now, but the wheels on the new Ford Edge with the Sport package are quite hideous.

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
6/15/12 7:08 p.m.
ditchdigger wrote: Oh hell. Just about any modern-ish American Racing wheel that isn't based on a 60's wheel

THIS. We don't have any donks rollin' on twankie-deuces in New England but plenty of ricer Civics, Accords, Neons, etc. and American Racing is their #1 hideous wheel of choice.

OEM Pontiac wheels tend to be ugly too:

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
6/15/12 7:12 p.m.
singleslammer wrote: I think that I win! Some kid in my town had these on his gen 1 neon. He promptly flipped his car going to fast on a car cruise over some hills. Anyone from MO remember that? It was 2006 I think.

Those must have taken about 10lbs worth of weights to balance.....

D_Howard
D_Howard New Reader
6/15/12 8:49 p.m.

Sorry guys but I dig the crx 4 holes and all the geometric 80's wheels, idk something about em.

driver109x
driver109x HalfDork
6/15/12 9:03 p.m.

Some of those wheels will be slightly less ugly if it was deep dish.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
6/15/12 9:12 p.m.

I can do this ALLLLLL day. I haven't even gotten to the REALLY hardcore stuff yet.

nicksta43
nicksta43 HalfDork
6/15/12 9:36 p.m.

In reply to RexSeven:

I am a huge Pontiac fan, however I have to agree. After the Rally II wheel whichever highly paid stylist was in charge of wheels missed the boat.

Hocrest
Hocrest HalfDork
6/15/12 9:42 p.m.
ScottRA21 wrote: For me, seriously....anything "Three" spoke.

My Brother...

I have always said that I've never seen a 3 spoke I liked... I thought I was all alone

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/15/12 10:11 p.m.

Saab was the only company to make the three spoke rim work

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
6/15/12 10:13 p.m.

Yeah, it's already been used, but I'm seconding ANYTHING FORGIATO!

B430
B430 New Reader
6/16/12 12:09 a.m.

The thing that puzzles me most about these fugly wheels is not why they were made in the first place, but why so many people spend so much of their hard earned money on them.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
6/16/12 12:16 a.m.

Just you.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kPjTfXD3GOwTXgrRqbOR4t0sLDQZVTHC8qB4huilfxljgeS8w6rSLIML55T55GUN