David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/17/18 5:38 p.m.

Just got an e-mail from a friend in the biz:

"... red bull global rallycross is pretty much DOA."

Looks like they have ceased operations for the rest of 2018, too. 

Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
4/17/18 6:15 p.m.

A classic case of not making it grassroots enough 

David S. Wallens
4/17/18 6:23 p.m.
Trackmouse said:

Or a classic case of allegedly not paying bills. 

David S. Wallens
4/17/18 6:25 p.m.

And we went to the GRC events here at Daytona and Vegas during SEMA. It's a heck of a show with great fan access in the paddock. You want Ken Block's autograph? He'll sign it. There will be a heck of a line, but he's not rushing past everyone, either. Very fan-centric. 

Our top person's already been assigned this one. Be interesting to see how it all shakes out. 

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Reader
4/17/18 6:38 p.m.

From what I’ve read it’s pretty crazy,many tracks and drivers not getting paid,abusive treatment of Subaru officials  paid bills with rental companies,and grc suing Subaru.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/17/18 7:09 p.m.

This was great the last 2 years.  Wtf happened?

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/17/18 8:07 p.m.

Wow, sad. I got a FB message a couple days ago that the NOLA event had been removed from my calendar & wondered what happened. 

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
4/17/18 9:09 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:
Trackmouse said:

Or a classic case of allegedly not paying bills. 

I just heard they owe the dnr who operates belle isle like 75 grand!

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
4/17/18 9:26 p.m.

Subaru had a display at a local dealership last year, I got a free hat, sat in two cars.  Ended up winning free tix to an event in Indy but didn't go, gave them to a friend.  Maybe I should have gone while I could.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/17/18 9:49 p.m.

Well, Looks like I won't be working the Round in Seattle. Had a lot of fun there. They actually allowed the track crew to sit in the drivers meeting so I met them all. Oh and all of the red bull you can drink was not a bad thing either. 

David S. Wallens
4/18/18 10:41 a.m.
Pete Gossett said:

Wow, sad. I got a FB message a couple days ago that the NOLA event had been removed from my calendar & wondered what happened. 

I'm guessing that all of that live TV was expensive. 

I really did enjoy the series. It was exciting and perfect for those with short attention spans. Sure, I love a good 24-hour contest, but there's also a reason why a 2-second Instagram video also works.

The fan access was also impressive. The teams worked out of open paddock spaces, while the autograph session was heavily subscribed. 

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/18/18 10:49 a.m.

VW ran the Beetle instead of the GTI, that was just dumb.  

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/18/18 10:59 a.m.

Well I'm glad I watched it both times they ran an event in Barbados. It is a lot of fun to watch. The second time, when I was able to casually stroll up to the front lines of the winner's circle ceremony like it was some kind of grassroots event, I knew things were going badly somehow.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
4/18/18 12:17 p.m.

I wanted to love it, but they kept making these micky mouse crappy little tracks with no appeal.  It's easy to call it 'Global' or 'European' style, but when you host it in glorified parking lot tracks, it just never worked for me.  Go and hit up Google for some of the European tracks, or British tracks like Brands Hatch or Lydden Hill compared to the tighter than autocross stuff they did hear.  Maybe I'm an old fart, but I don't understand why every 'new' type of event must be city center, TV, rock concert friendly.  If they'd hosted it at other places and made it more grass roots friendly I can see it having been a bigger success.  Rallycross is a great 'relatively' cheap way to enter motorsport in Europe.    

I went to the British Rally Cross Grand Prix at Brands a couple of times back in the early 90's.  The visual and aural violence of mega hp RS200's, 6R4's etc. coming off the dirt and turning into Paddock bend then  back onto the dirt down tumble down hill was amazing.

/End old guy rant

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/18/18 1:29 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson :

because the marketing folks assumed that they could leverage the same group of people who go to Arena Cross and Monster Truck events at the same stadiums.

Also the cost to rent those stadiums is better since everything is already there and for the most part, they aren't being used and noise issues are already handled.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZHoSoVdVDIXX6cXi93QDdSfCF73Su7Yj6p8eqawoVG90yH3DxlyBSJckn7650pci