1 2
ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
5/27/22 9:46 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/WKwa7VEgtTI

On paper, the 2022 Honda Civic Si is down on power compared to the outgoing model. But does that mean it’s a slouch on track?

We take the 11th-gen Si to the Florida International Rally & Motorsport Park to find out.

Watch more videos

Definitely gone now
Definitely gone now SuperDork
5/27/22 11:20 a.m.

Barf. Let's see: looks like A Toyota Camry and a new age Jetta had port-a-John sex at a high school jazz concert.

Hideous. Boring. Fat. Don't sell me a fat civic. Sub 2,700lbs or nothing. There's plenty of fat fwd cars out there. 

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/27/22 11:31 a.m.

Ummm, Honda Civics are supposed to be boring.  At least boring to look at.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/27/22 11:51 a.m.

My reaction, having owned or lived with every Civic Si back to 1986: We want it. 

BDG
BDG GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/27/22 11:54 a.m.

In reply to Definitely gone now :

Yes, there's a multitude of new sub 2,700lb sedans for people to choose from out there

Civic Si and its competitors haven't been sub 2,700lbs for almost a quarter of a century now (and those cars would be leagues slower on track than this one). Time to get over it.

madmrak351
madmrak351 Reader
5/27/22 12:33 p.m.

Part of the weight gain problem with “small” fwd sedans is that about every 8 to 10 years the have swollen to nearly the size of the model above them in the lineup. Yes we can blame gov regs for some of it but apparently the average consumer is just fine with it. Remember when not just Civics we’re small but also Sentras and Corollas. The 97 Accord I had is certainly smaller and lighter than the current Civic.

calteg
calteg SuperDork
5/27/22 12:43 p.m.

I like it, especially in orange, and especially the interior. I suspect if we wait for the Type R to drop, the overall market will cool sufficiently that you might be able to snag an Si at MSRP

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
5/27/22 1:07 p.m.
madmrak351 said:

Yes we can blame gov regs for some of it 

I don't think you can.  For better or worse, its a response to the market.  Honda makes a Fit which is like an old Civic but really tall.  Nissan makes a Versa that is similar in relation to the older Sentra.  Mazda makes a Miata that is the same size it was 30 years ago.

And for all the people who constantly whine about size, a Veloster is very nearly the same size as an EG hatch.

jkstill
jkstill New Reader
5/27/22 1:32 p.m.

I like it.  Didn't expect to.

David S. Wallens
5/27/22 1:47 p.m.

In reply to calteg :

I'm all about the orange as well. 

My wife has daily driven a '14 Civic Si since new and really likes it, but she also really, really liked our orange test car. (She still misses her 2000 Civic So, too.)

She's away this week and has a previous Civic as her rental. She's liking that, too. 

So, guess I'm saying that Honda has managed to keep at least these two long-term customers happy. 

Definitely gone now
Definitely gone now SuperDork
5/27/22 1:51 p.m.

In reply to BDG :

Nope. I don't have to. And you can't make me. 

trucke
trucke SuperDork
5/27/22 2:01 p.m.

Best daily I've ever had!  Mrs trucke approves! 

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/27/22 2:19 p.m.

How about a Sport Si without the sunroof?

I know, nope.

ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
5/27/22 2:31 p.m.

I didn't get to drive the new Si for very long when we had it but I was underwhelmed by it. It is not a bad car but it just didn't have that wow factor. Like J.G. said in the video everything felt calm and smooth but it left me wanting more. 

David S. Wallens
5/27/22 3:00 p.m.

In reply to trucke :

Awesome to hear. Looks good in Stormtrooper trim. 

burgermeister
burgermeister New Reader
5/27/22 3:14 p.m.

I owned a 10th gen Civic sport for about 9 months.  It was quite fast, handled reasonably well, and got amazing gas mileage.  But I never really liked driving it.  At all.  So Carvana helped it find someone more appreciative of its qualities.  I came away thinking that Civics are rather over-hyped.

To prove my weirdness, I now drive a 6MT Crosstrek, which is quite slow, handles reasonably well, and gets semi-terrible gas mileage.  But I really enjoy driving it.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/27/22 3:18 p.m.

In reply to trucke :

My very similar car should arrive this summer.  I'm glad to hear your is doing well as a daily.  I liked this video, but was hoping it'd get into how the car is for daily duty.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/27/22 4:01 p.m.

I've been lucky to get some autocross codrives in my friend's 2017 sport hatchback. As good as that car is, I'm not surprised at your review of the new SI. 

BDG
BDG GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/27/22 4:14 p.m.

Weight is just a number on a spec sheet. If it handles better, goes faster, stops faster, grips harder, gets better mileage and puts up a better performance, how much does it really matter that it's one overweight passenger heavier? Would you ever know if that spec wasn't published?

trucke
trucke SuperDork
5/27/22 4:38 p.m.
ChrisTropea said:

I didn't get to drive the new Si for very long when we had it but I was underwhelmed by it. It is not a bad car but it just didn't have that wow factor. Like J.G. said in the video everything felt calm and smooth but it left me wanting more. 

I can understand your comment.  Love the Si as a daily because its easier to get in and out of than my other car.  But the driving dynamics are similar!  The SI consistently returns 37 mpg+ in my commute.

This car has the WOW factor in spades! 

thashane
thashane GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/27/22 6:58 p.m.

Every dealer I spoke to that had one of these, wanted on average $10,000 in market adjustments or "protection package". That's before fees & taxes. My favorite part was the salesperson justifying the extortion.

"There's always going to be a mark-up on the Si, bc they're limited production" 

Dealer: Hi, are you interested in Civic Si?

Me: Yes, for MSRP.

D: <audible laughing> let me go ask my sales Manager. <5 minutes later> GOOD NEWS! My sales Manager says we can sell the the Si for $37.4k.

Me: Out the door?

D: No that price does not include taxes and fees.

Me: Goodluck with sale

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/27/22 9:25 p.m.

In reply to thashane :

My dealer is quoting me MSRP and no shenanigans.  If they deliver, I will gladly recommend them.  They sold more Rs than most dealers because they were not marking them up insanely.  I held on the call while my sales rep verified no markup with the sales manager.  This is a big part of the reason I am waiting on this car.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Dork
5/27/22 9:40 p.m.
madmrak351 said:

Part of the weight gain problem with “small” fwd sedans is that about every 8 to 10 years the have swollen to nearly the size of the model above them in the lineup. Yes we can blame gov regs for some of it but apparently the average consumer is just fine with it. Remember when not just Civics we’re small but also Sentras and Corollas. The 97 Accord I had is certainly smaller and lighter than the current Civic.

Which actually makes it even more impressive that the cars are only 100-200 pounds over. New Accords are huge! But the base Accord is under 3200 pounds.

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/28/22 8:47 p.m.

In reply to thashane :

so that means a manual Integra will be $47k?

PT_SHO
PT_SHO New Reader
5/31/22 1:04 a.m.

In reply to Noddaz :

Being vertically challenged (6'4, long torso) virtually any car with sunroof is unsuitable. Not willing to vote for banning them but won't drive one even as a rental.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7LUiBKsCO7BZFs25uLLHySiCXVmgXiEGx5ialEHD5oUiRiH1J7RI3wtJqIbsV0Lj