1 2 3 4
jr10cross
jr10cross Reader
6/13/18 5:14 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

It's interesting, if the vacuum lines aren't right and the car has stuff like a cold air intake in the wrong place, things can be very different. Not saying with everything tuned right its going to be a widow maker, but there are difference between cars. You really have to drive them 3500k rpm and above Lol but again a 944 is like the girl you go steady with. Overall, she's great and is easy to get along with, no drama, chill.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
6/13/18 7:01 p.m.
irish44j said:
markwemple said:

They are extremely different cars. The 911 is a true Porsche and is more of a race car modified for the street. The 944 is derived from the 924 which is a conglomeration of va parts that was to be built by Audi. It's a very good car, but without extensive modification, it will die on the track. The 911 is a purists car. The 944 isn't.

The whole "purist" argument is so dumb. You know what's a "true Porsche?" a VW Beetle. Without that car, Porsche wouldn't even exist as a car maker, more than likely. I mean, when you think about it, the air-cooled 911 is basically just an extreme evolution of the Beetle and the 356 anyhow.  The 356 is seen as a "real Porsche," notwithstanding the fact that it was waaaaay more parts-bin VW stuff than the 924/944 ever was.

I've never been one to much care - I do love the 911 and pretty much every evolution of it (but I own a 924S) - but the whole Porsche snobbery from air-cooled guys (or 911 owners in general) is just lame.  924 isn't a real porsche because Audi engine. 928 isn't real porsche because V8. 944 isn't a real porsche because front engine. Boxster/Cayman not a real Porsche because not rear-engine. All the newer stuff not real porsche because "porsche doesn't make SUVs or sedans." Yawn.

Not all of us are snobs.  I have a stock 62 beetle parked beside my 930.  It’s fun to drive them back to back! laugh

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
6/13/18 7:05 p.m.
jr10cross said:

In reply to markwemple :

I know we got off topic a bit with the track stuff, but the video was really geared toward daily driving. You know seat position, pedals, blindspots, shifter knob distance. I just think at the price it's a no brainer. It's hard to dog a 30k 911 daily. I like the regularness of the 924/944. It's the people's Porsche. It just dang honest and hard working. I have problems Lol

In that case my 87 944 Turbo was a better dd than my 80s era 911s,   No question.  My 96 993 was a much better dd,  but not sure if it was better or just equal to the 944 turbo.  

jr10cross
jr10cross Reader
6/13/18 7:13 p.m.

In reply to Cotton :

I still look for the wave back because I believe the same

jr10cross
jr10cross Reader
6/13/18 7:23 p.m.
Cotton said:
jr10cross said:

In reply to markwemple :

I know we got off topic a bit with the track stuff, but the video was really geared toward daily driving. You know seat position, pedals, blindspots, shifter knob distance. I just think at the price it's a no brainer. It's hard to dog a 30k 911 daily. I like the regularness of the 924/944. It's the people's Porsche. It just dang honest and hard working. I have problems Lol

In that case my 87 944 Turbo was a better dd than my 80s era 911s,   No question.  My 96 993 was a much better dd,  but not sure if it was better or just equal to the 944 turbo.  

Drooling 993.....  drooling still. For whatever inconvenience it may have, it makes it up in beauty. While they suffer from some of the same issues in the G series, I love the 964 and 993. The 993 would definitely out perform the 944 turbo, but it may not be as comfortable still to be a dd. Plus I dont know if I would want to take the mileage/depreciation hit. But my God the 993 is magnificent. I would only choose a 964 Turbo, because of my childhood hero Mike Larry from Bad Boys. Lol can't shake the opening scene or ending car chase from that movie. 

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
6/13/18 7:35 p.m.

For a dd, the 996 is worlds better than a 993. I'll agree that the 944 is a newer feeling car than a 911 Carrera but I personally don't enjoy the drive as much.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/13/18 8:35 p.m.

Ah, the old 924/944 aren't real Porsches debate.

Real Porsches have 88mm cannon.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/13/18 8:55 p.m.

Am I the only one that hates these posts that look like pure click bait? ... just a little blurb to drive people to their youtube channel ...

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
6/13/18 9:10 p.m.
Cotton said:
irish44j said:
markwemple said:

They are extremely different cars. The 911 is a true Porsche and is more of a race car modified for the street. The 944 is derived from the 924 which is a conglomeration of va parts that was to be built by Audi. It's a very good car, but without extensive modification, it will die on the track. The 911 is a purists car. The 944 isn't.

The whole "purist" argument is so dumb. You know what's a "true Porsche?" a VW Beetle. Without that car, Porsche wouldn't even exist as a car maker, more than likely. I mean, when you think about it, the air-cooled 911 is basically just an extreme evolution of the Beetle and the 356 anyhow.  The 356 is seen as a "real Porsche," notwithstanding the fact that it was waaaaay more parts-bin VW stuff than the 924/944 ever was.

I've never been one to much care - I do love the 911 and pretty much every evolution of it (but I own a 924S) - but the whole Porsche snobbery from air-cooled guys (or 911 owners in general) is just lame.  924 isn't a real porsche because Audi engine. 928 isn't real porsche because V8. 944 isn't a real porsche because front engine. Boxster/Cayman not a real Porsche because not rear-engine. All the newer stuff not real porsche because "porsche doesn't make SUVs or sedans." Yawn.

Not all of us are snobs.  I have a stock 62 beetle parked beside my 930.  It’s fun to drive them back to back! laugh

Point taken and I shouldn't generalize. 

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller HalfDork
6/13/18 9:26 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

It wasn’t too long ago that this conversation was had with the 914 when the 944 was new.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/13/18 9:45 p.m.
Slippery said:

Am I the only one that hates these posts that look like pure click bait? ... just a little blurb to drive people to their youtube channel ...

I'll allow it, since he's one of us and he's actually participating in the conversation.

jr10cross
jr10cross Reader
6/13/18 10:48 p.m.
Slippery said:

Bro you don't have to click! The youtube thing is just a hobby and a way to disgust what I'm interpreting. Posting here, I learn a lot including ways to get my 944 track ready with a bigger oil cooler cheeky . I also found a non-snob 911 owner. If I weren't genuine, I wouldn't respond to every comment and keep things incredibly positive!

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/14/18 6:49 a.m.

In reply to jr10cross :

You've found more than one. I'd say most posters on this forum that own 911's aren't snobs. Hell, you won't even know they own a 911 for the most part. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/14/18 7:03 a.m.

I've been reading this thread knowing of a very odd parallel with the cars I like.

Roughly the same time the 924 came out, Alfa came out with the Alfettas.  Which is very *roughly* the same car.  Front engine, 4 cyl, rear trans axle.  Suspension was a little different, but all in all the concepts of the cars were the same.  The big difference was the departure from the norm- Alfas were front engine, live axle cars up until then.

Technically, the Alfettas should have been a far superior car.  But even when you Euro spec them, so that the progression from the GTV to the Alfetta wasn't altered by the large regulation changes- the Alfettas were just not quite as good, and were never really accepted by the community.  It took the GTV6 to really deal with that, and IMHO, even though it's clearly a faster car, it's never been as loved as the 105/115 cars.

Odd how that played out for the two car makers.

I wonder how different would Alfa's story would have gone had they replaced the Spider with a 116 chassis Spider.  Ironically, since they did not, the 115 chassis outlived the 116/119 chassis by about 5 years (Alfettas from 74-81, GTV6 81-87, Milano 85-92, and the last Spider was 1994).

And how much different would the 924 story had been if the engine was more P or the car was actually an Audi. 

octavious
octavious Dork
6/14/18 7:12 a.m.
Tom_Spangler said:
Slippery said:

I'll allow it, since he's one of us and he's actually participating in the conversation.

jr10cross --- that video is you?  Well I still think you are biased but good job, and your little girl is cute.  I think this fight will only be fair if I get my little cutie to say how awesome the 911 is.  

One other thing I noticed from your video is your comparison is done with the 944 in person and the 911 in pictures.  I'm not knocking it becuase I agree gauges on the 911 are off compared to the 944, but for example your points on the shifter spacing. You are sitting in the 944, but the pic of the 911 shows the shifter way back and to the right.  Again I'm assuming based on the angle the 911 was in reverse and that is different than where the shifter is the rest of the time.  If you are close I can bring my car over and we can do a side by side comparison. 

Lastly, I spent  a good part of last night looking at cheap 944s on Craigslist...  

EDIT: Nevermind, you aren't close to TN.  

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/14/18 8:01 a.m.
alfadriver said:

And how much different would the 924 story had been if the engine was more P or the car was actually an Audi. 

The V8 in the 928 was a Porsche design. It never really helped get that car into the "right circles" among the purists.

personally, I am torn. I LOVE the 944, especially in 951 or S2 guise, but the siren call of the 911 is a hard one to ignore. The big thing the 911 has going for it, aside from the huge following the car has, the engine was fairly simple and required lessor maintenance for a very long life

jr10cross
jr10cross Reader
6/14/18 8:25 a.m.
octavious said:
Tom_Spangler said:
Slippery said:

jr10cross --- that video is you?  Well I still think you are biased but good job, and your little girl is cute.  I think this fight will only be fair if I get my little cutie to say how awesome the 911 is.  

One other thing I noticed from your video is your comparison is done with the 944 in person and the 911 in pictures.  I'm not knocking it becuase I agree gauges on the 911 are off compared to the 944, but for example your points on the shifter spacing. You are sitting in the 944, but the pic of the 911 shows the shifter way back and to the right.  Again I'm assuming based on the angle the 911 was in reverse and that is different than where the shifter is the rest of the time.  If you are close I can bring my car over and we can do a side by side comparison. 

Lastly, I spent  a good part of last night looking at cheap 944s on Craigslist...  

EDIT: Nevermind, you aren't close to TN.  

First of all, lol thanks man! My daughter has the sickness already and I love it. At 2 I walked in on her polishing the emblem of her BMW i8 Power Wheel with Q-tips. My eyes welled up with tears I was so proud.

Good catch on the shift knob location. That was unintentional. I haven't been in a G-series in a while and when I was I really didn't understand ergonomics yet to notice. Maybe side to side pictures might help for a better comparison, but again neither are terrible!

I must say, it gets on my nerves not being able to flick my high beams with raising my lights first. 

BTW Roadtrip! :)

Brian
Brian MegaDork
6/14/18 8:45 a.m.

One is a glorified Beetle, the other is a glorified Audi. wink

In all seriousness, from the perspective of someone with no firsthand experience, the 911 is special with nothing else quite like it. The 944 is a good F/R car but not unique and requiring German maintenance levels. It holds no appeal to me personally. 

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
6/14/18 11:13 a.m.

In reality, a 356 is a gloriglorified beetle. The 911 isn't. It just isn't. I've owned a lot of both and love both but that is a common misunderstanding that gets under my skin a little.

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
6/14/18 12:14 p.m.

In reply to markwemple :

Good point...The 911 is a glorified Super Beetle. devil

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
6/14/18 12:31 p.m.
alfadriver said:

I've been reading this thread knowing of a very odd parallel with the cars I like.

Roughly the same time the 924 came out, Alfa came out with the Alfettas.  Which is very *roughly* the same car.  Front engine, 4 cyl, rear trans axle.  Suspension was a little different, but all in all the concepts of the cars were the same.  The big difference was the departure from the norm- Alfas were front engine, live axle cars up until then.

Technically, the Alfettas should have been a far superior car.  But even when you Euro spec them, so that the progression from the GTV to the Alfetta wasn't altered by the large regulation changes- the Alfettas were just not quite as good, and were never really accepted by the community.  It took the GTV6 to really deal with that, and IMHO, even though it's clearly a faster car, it's never been as loved as the 105/115 cars.

Odd how that played out for the two car makers.

I wonder how different would Alfa's story would have gone had they replaced the Spider with a 116 chassis Spider.  Ironically, since they did not, the 115 chassis outlived the 116/119 chassis by about 5 years (Alfettas from 74-81, GTV6 81-87, Milano 85-92, and the last Spider was 1994).

Quoted for truth.  I've owned both the 115 series GTV and Alfettas and GTV6s.  Early GTVs are better in almost every way than an Alfetta, but the GTV6 more than makes up for it.  

As to the Porsche question, I've owned NA 944's and 951s, and driven 911s but never owned one.  I loved the 951, liked the 944, but lust after a 911.  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/14/18 1:42 p.m.
markwemple said:

In reality, a 356 is a gloriglorified beetle. The 911 isn't. It just isn't. I've owned a lot of both and love both but that is a common misunderstanding that gets under my skin a little.

Hahahahhahhaaha.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
6/14/18 8:55 p.m.
alfadriver said:

And how much different would the 924 story had been if the engine was more P 

That question can be answered: '86-88 924s. It's basically the same car with a legitimate Porsche engine....

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
6/14/18 9:21 p.m.

Bench racing an 80s 944 against an 80s 911 is one thing, but has anyone mentioned that the actual cheapest 911s you can buy are pretty significantly faster than the fastest (stock) 944 you can buy at any price? 

It sounds kind of funny, but i think the fact that you can get daily drivable 911s for way under 20k puts a pretty huge dent in the appeal of nice 944 Turbos that are inching into that same range. 

I am vaguely looking for a nice 924 that isn't priced as if it were collectable. I traded the one i owned to a friend and while i still work on it for him it was already stripped for racing and mostly served to make me pine for an intact street car. 

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
6/14/18 9:54 p.m.

In reply to Driven5 :

Um, no, just no. Not even close. The 944 is much closer to the SB than any 911 is.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oLYar6uxIZr4hni3hflBM5Tqiju7d9w40osvk9F76TbySPFjKI7ExJPApjfERzye