Robert Bowen
Robert Bowen Editor
8/2/22 11:49 a.m.

[Editor's Note: This article originally appeared in the November 2011 issue of Grassroots Motorsports.]

The launch of an all-new Corvette is a rare automotive event, heralding a new epoch of posters plastered on teenagers’ bedroom walls and raising the bar for nearly every other domestic production car. No other vehicle, with the possible exception of the late and lamented Viper, …

Read the rest of the story

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/2/22 2:16 p.m.

I'll be the first to complain loudly about the interior, how I'm not old enough to drive one, New Balance, chest hair, gold chains, Corvette tax....

Now that that's out of the way continue on.

jfknupp
jfknupp New Reader
8/2/22 5:00 p.m.

I can't find the article.  What a nuisance!

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/2/22 8:27 p.m.

I think the optimum buying time for these is sadly passed.  I feel that way about so many cool cars today.

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/2/22 9:17 p.m.

I have a friend that just bought a C5 for autocross only.  Met his budget for go fast needs.

TimAllums
TimAllums
8/2/22 10:16 p.m.

This article was written in 2011. Why not re-write to update and show the C6 as a bargain supercar?

Here's mine at COTA in Austin, TX at an HPDE track day.

ThumperUSMC
ThumperUSMC GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/2/22 10:20 p.m.

My only complaint is that the 1998 Convertible came with the automatic transmission only. It's sorta kinda expensive to set the 4L60E to racing standards even when you have oversized clutches put in there...

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
8/3/22 5:54 a.m.

In reply to ThumperUSMC :

Unfortunately, automatic transmission pretty well matches the ethos of the vast majority of Corvette convertible buyers.  

As for the C5 still being a bargain supercar today.  Absolutely, without question.  You can shag a nice driver for $15,000 or less and right out of the box it performs well.  Add a few mods and you've got a car that can hunt down a lot of modern cars costing many times more.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
49tPpXUyhxpzoplOM20l4Qa7ySCx4G9jGYdLTs1B6vkWiJH1JKp2oABRjuW7tHfD