1 2
John Webber
John Webber
7/15/22 8:58 a.m.

[Editor's Note: This article originally appeared in the May 2011 issue of Grassroots Motorsports.]

Not that he would, but if Bill Kroll chose to engage in certain illegal and antisocial stoplight behaviors, he could rule the streets.

In a typical zero-to-60 blast, his car would dust off a Dodge Challenger SRT8, a Shelby GT500KR, a Camaro SS, and a Jaguar …

Read the rest of the story

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
7/15/22 11:37 a.m.

No.

Nothing wrong with sticking a V8 into cars that didn't have them (some people seem to need loud noises to make them happy) but there is less reason to V8 a Solstice than many other cars as the stock turbo engine in the GXP has so much built-in tunability.

Stock = 260 bhp/260 Tq.

My GXP with a conservative tune and a slightly modified turbo (larger impeller) = 375/375...and still gets great mileage when you aren't at full throttle.

There are a lot of owners that have swapped out to a larger turbo and are putting out 4-500 bhp.

Want a bunch more?  See this (same engine as in the Solstice):

715 whp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S6XiC0ZDgE

PS - my mildly tuned Solstice gets into the 12s in the 1/4 mile but returns c. high 20s mpg when not under boost

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/15/22 12:15 p.m.

It's not all about peak :) Here's a 2.0 turbo vs an LS3.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
7/15/22 12:17 p.m.

I've never driven nor even rode in one of these cars. I like them.  But, it seems that I've seen many mentions of awful ergonnomics.

Defined motorsports
Defined motorsports SuperDork
7/15/22 12:37 p.m.

Our club has a dude running an ls6 in his for CAM. That thing is crazy. 

Puddy46
Puddy46 New Reader
7/15/22 12:47 p.m.
M2Pilot said:

I've never driven nor even rode in one of these cars. I like them.  But, it seems that I've seen many mentions of awful ergonnomics.

Fully agree.  If a V8 swap helps being able to put more than a pack of socks in the trunk with the top down, that's where you'll get the most improvement. 

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
7/15/22 12:49 p.m.

I could see how the LFX might be a fun swap for the Solstice/Sky twins.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
7/15/22 1:03 p.m.
Puddy46 said:
M2Pilot said:

Fully agree.  If a V8 swap helps being able to put more than a pack of socks in the trunk with the top down, that's where you'll get the most improvement. 

No problem in my car - I can get 3-4 cases of wine in the back.... devil

Puddy46
Puddy46 New Reader
7/15/22 1:19 p.m.
wspohn said:
Puddy46 said:
M2Pilot said:

Fair play on that one!  Although the targa is kind of cheating since the issue is the soft top takes all the room in the trunk, if I remember correctly.  

NickD
NickD MegaDork
7/15/22 1:20 p.m.

While I'm not a huge fan of the drivetrain, the majority of my gripes with the Solstice come from it's bulbous styling, low-rent interior, and garbage ergonomics, and a V8 doesn't fix any of that..

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
7/15/22 1:48 p.m.

In reply to Puddy46 :

It's actually the gas tank that protrudes in there heavily. The soft top then sits on top of that and takes the little side indentations you had, leaving a soft duffel sized sliver along the rearmost section of the trunk. 

2007GXPZOK
2007GXPZOK
7/15/22 2:39 p.m.

My Solstice was fun with the turbo motor but the DI was a no go for my tuner. I may be one of the only dry sump LS3's on the track and the car seriously runs the way GM should have built it form the factory. No turbo hit at the apex of corners allows me to make a lot of the German girls cry along with some Corvettes, Camaros and Mustangs. I've been told it's frustratingly fast. Mind you mine is a fully sorted race car with full stand alone Link ECU with traction control, MK60 anti-lock brake system and Brembo GT Corvette big brake kit. 

te72
te72 HalfDork
7/16/22 1:55 a.m.

In reply to 2007GXPZOK :

That track reminds me a bit of Wild Horse Pass, but I haven't seen it in about 15 years...

As for the Solstice, it was probably the first new car I was excited about the possibility of affording. Numbers wouldn't have worked out for me back then. Got into NB Miatas instead, no regrets. Same concept of a V8 roadster, but what, 600 lbs lighter than a V8 Solstice? Why are they so heavy?

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
7/16/22 8:25 a.m.

In reply to 2007GXPZOK :

Would love to see a build thread on your car - it sounds awesome

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/16/22 9:46 a.m.
NickD said:

While I'm not a huge fan of the drivetrain, the majority of my gripes with the Solstice come from it's bulbous styling, low-rent interior, and garbage ergonomics, and a V8 doesn't fix any of that..

You are also describing most F-bodies and Corvettes, too.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
7/16/22 11:47 a.m.

Styling is personal preference. I never thought much of the convertibles but for some reason the coupe shape hit my buttons - go figure.  Glad it did with only a few months on the market and 1270 odd made.

The ergonomics aren't that bad to live with  - you forget about things like crappy breakable drink holders and leaving dents on the doors if you slam the hood down when the doors are open, and complaints about interior comfort are common among new owners.  I have always found that when you test drive a strange car you are never sitting in it the way you will if you own it.  You relax and slump down when you are used to it and can often find a best driving position (for me, with seat a couple of notches forward from the rearmost limit and the back raked right up against the rear bulkhead.

It is funny, my other modern sports car, a BMW Z4M coupe, has one of the most comfortable seats I have experienced yet I see other owners complaining about them. I keep wanting to ask what the heck they are doing, but I'm too polite to ask if their name is Quasimodo.

And while I appreciate Keith's correct observations on the differences between a turbo 4 and an NA V8,  in driving the progression with the Solstice is very smooth and of you are cruising at 2500 or so and floor it, the power comes in quickly and smoothly.  IMHO too many owners make poor decisions on mods - they opt for over large turbos that exhibit excessive lag because the peak power numbers look nice to them. The stock turbo has virtually no lag and my upgraded version that pushes more air doesn't have much appreciable lag either, but going beyond that point definitely affects day to day drivability.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/16/22 12:56 p.m.

It is a shame the coupe wasn't higher production. Much better looking to me. 

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
7/16/22 1:19 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

The Saturn version solves the bulbous styling nicely :)

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/16/22 2:02 p.m.
wspohn said:
Puddy46 said:
M2Pilot said:

I was never a fan of the looks of convertible version of these cars but DAM does that look good. 

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/16/22 4:06 p.m.

I like them.  It's almost a modern reboot of the Cheetah to me.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
7/16/22 4:33 p.m.

I like the style, it's a good looking car. But I hated the one I drove. It felt more like a tractor, than a sports car, and I hated the seating position. It could have been the one I drove, though, it was a E36 M3box

GPz11 (Forum Supporter)
GPz11 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
7/18/22 10:23 p.m.

So can big boys fit in a Solstice? I'm 6'3" 275lbs and once our BMW bike sells, a Solstice is on the short list.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
7/19/22 6:14 a.m.
GPz11 (Forum Supporter) said:

So can big boys fit in a Solstice? I'm 6'3" 275lbs and once our BMW bike sells, a Solstice is on the short list.

Not comfortably. I'm 6'3", 240lbs and they are not a comfortable fit. Driving the stick shift ones is really uncomfortable because even with the seat back, my kneecaps are against the dashboard. My NA Miata has more interior room.

GPz11 (Forum Supporter)
GPz11 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
7/19/22 8:04 a.m.

Well shoot, that sucks. The Missus even likes them too.

Yeah, if they are smaller than a NA Miata, I've got no chance of fitting. 

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
7/19/22 8:36 a.m.
GPz11 (Forum Supporter) said:

I'm 6'0 255lbs, 33" inseam and fit. Seat as low as she'll go, and all the way back. The clutch pedal is almosttt too far like this, so there's a shot. I had an NA Miata, and I remember the cabin being snugger in that, been a few years though. I'll see if I can take a reference photo.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Y20YMr6dPQPc5hRlropBbe7e21cGrZSAwICWwCTe6dAKLQgDmBczTq0HQkXf9zye