ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
11/16/22 2:00 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/HmGXqFxvO74

If it’s a Rad-era race car to you’re after, consider a Porsche 944 Turbo Cup car.

[Looking for an inexpensive track machine? Why not a Rad-era race car?]

Among its benefits include that the Porsche 944 Turbo Cup was factory built, which helps make it an easier car to compete with in historic racing.

Presented by CRC Industries.

Watch more videos

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/16/22 2:51 p.m.

Pretty rad. 

ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
11/16/22 4:54 p.m.

I may have started looking up prices on 944's. The non turbo cars are tempting for what you get for the money. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/16/22 5:11 p.m.

Gtu 2nd gen rx7.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Dork
11/16/22 8:43 p.m.

I mean, are these Turbo Cup cars easy to get though? I don't remember seeing a lot of these for sale when I was a PCA member and getting Panoramas each month.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/17/22 6:58 a.m.

Finding an actual factory cup car will be difficult.  Not to mention they will not be inexpensive. 

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/17/22 8:57 a.m.

I just saw that there is an actual factory cup car for sale on BaT as we speak. Act fast!

1987 Porsche 944 Turbo Cup - located in Cali

dyintorace
11/17/22 8:57 a.m.

billstewartx
billstewartx Reader
11/17/22 3:07 p.m.

NOPE 

the Jag XJS is waaay better 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/17/22 11:23 p.m.

In reply to billstewartx :

Frenchy?

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/18/22 6:45 a.m.
billstewartx said:

NOPE 

the Jag XJS is waaay better 

The one pictured there was a lemons racecar!

porschenut
porschenut HalfDork
11/18/22 9:08 a.m.

20 years ago the 951 was an excellent basis for a track car.  The low polar moment of inertia made it very forgiving and the motor could be coaxed to put out pretty good numbers for a decent price.  There were limits to power of course but I remember a lot of them with a chip and open exhaust doing serious battle with the rear engine turbo cars.  Not sure how they would fare against some of the current toys with more computers and assist but pretty sure a respectable track car could be had for less money with this option.

David S. Wallens
11/18/22 9:27 a.m.
dyintorace said:

I just saw that there is an actual factory cup car for sale on BaT as we speak. Act fast!

I think someone just stole that car. $34k for a factory-built Porsche race car? Dang. 

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
11/18/22 3:34 p.m.

Drove a couple of 944's at the Champcar VIR 24 back in August.

Despite this damage to the right rear sometime on Saturday evening, we were running 2nd with just three or four hours to go when the left front ball joint failed and the strut pulled out of the tower.

dyintorace
11/18/22 4:36 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:
dyintorace said:

I think someone just stole that car. $34k for a factory-built Porsche race car? Dang. 

I saw the same thing! I haven't dug through the comments yet, but something seems odd. There were only 80 some odd of those built. They should be in the 6 figures!

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
11/19/22 12:11 p.m.

I want to find a good 944 turbo roller and then put a 1.8T motor in it.  That'd be a real winning combo, as the motor is lightweight, easy to maintain and with a Garrett turbo will make gobs of reliable power.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/19/22 1:05 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:
dyintorace said:

Either that car went incredibly cheap, or 951s are worth less than I'd thought.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/21/22 8:51 a.m.
dean1484 said:

Finding an actual factory cup car will be difficult.  Not to mention they will not be inexpensive. 

There's always the digital option:

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/21/22 9:10 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
David S. Wallens said:
dyintorace said:

Either that car went incredibly cheap, or 951s are worth less than I'd thought.

No race history, modified, replacement engine, sat for 5 years, and the original magnesium wheels weren't included (and sold separately for $25K). This car is just a 951 track day car that happens to have an important VIN but none of the stuff that made that VIN important. Also not sure it's street legal in the states. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/21/22 9:14 a.m.

Hmm.  My post has been deleted.  Did it cross a line?  Because that would be weird.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/21/22 9:16 a.m.

Weird.  Actually it (and Javelin's post) don't show up from the "forum" view, but do show up in the news/blog/whatever view.

David S. Wallens
11/21/22 11:18 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

I wonder if some replies are lagging. We'll see what's up. But your comments are here.

Thanks. 

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/21/22 11:41 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

Weird.  Actually it (and Javelin's post) don't show up from the "forum" view, but do show up in the news/blog/whatever view.

Yeah there was a ghost in the machine with our posts.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HNnLzf7jjWGWGlVhOYRI8qCiKHSTRxa9bZigBHsdOSXzhGkkCHE6cduSsbP6leac