1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/27/21 2:21 p.m.

First, yes, I totally stole that line from JG.

But we have like four Prius threads on the main forum page now with one more over in Off Topic. 

Is the second-gen Prius now the early Miata for hybrids?

Discuss. 

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/27/21 2:23 p.m.

There's over a million second-gens on the road. That seems pretty real.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/27/21 2:25 p.m.

I can agree with the derp part.... but not the miata part. 

Powar
Powar UltraDork
8/27/21 2:30 p.m.

It is very Miata-like in that it is EXCELLENT for its intended use, ubiquitous enough that you don't have to worry about berkeleying one up, and (now) cheap enough that people like us are starting to mess with them.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/27/21 2:41 p.m.

Prius and Miata is the real answer.

The Miata is very good at sports car-ing.  The Prius is very good at appliance-ing.

In all honesty, I have an appointment in 15 minutes to go do a title transfer on the $500 Miata.

If you're searching Gen2 Prius here on GRM and find this thread, also see my thread of Prius ownership.  I have bought them from $6000 to $500 and in between.  Bought both running, non-running and wrecked.    

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/27/21 2:42 p.m.

Yes, I'll argue that it's replaced the panther platform in that regard. 

The main difference between the two being that people pretended that they could make the panther platform fun when it was never really engaging, it was just fun because you were doing stupid stuff that it was never intended to do. The Prius doesn't pretend to be fun, unless you lift it and put AT tires on it. But it's more reliable, more efficient, easier to work on and more vanilla than even the panther platform. It's the perfect vehicle for when every other vehicle you own is causing a headache and you want to get in something that is going to want for very little and ask for nothing. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/27/21 2:56 p.m.

Priuses are like the Corolla tall wagon we never got.  Except we did got it, and it is a pretty dang reliable hybrid.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
8/27/21 3:00 p.m.

Yeah I really like them for derping. 

my only complaint is the a-pillar makes it hard to see. It's both the thickness but also the angle. 

Otherwise, derp on!

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
8/27/21 3:06 p.m.

Apparently with 245's, the Gen3 can keep up with some miatas...

8/27/21 3:06 p.m.

Also, when is the 2nd generation Prius buyer's guide article going to be published.

And when is the official GRM Prius project car happening, where it's subjected to all the non Prius torture test. I want to see coverage of a Prius rallycrossing at The Firm and turning laps at an HPDE. 

David S. Wallens
8/27/21 3:09 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

Dude, stop snooping in on our chats. smiley

JG Pasterjak
8/27/21 3:11 p.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

Also, when is the 2nd generation Prius buyer's guide article going to be published.

Just read John Welsh's thread :)

8/27/21 3:15 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

I pretty much figured the article would be John's, which I have zero problem with. 

calteg
calteg Dork
8/27/21 3:18 p.m.

Prius + Miata crew, signing in. 

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe Reader
8/27/21 3:38 p.m.

I always liked the C model for looks, though I'm not a fan of Toyota or Prius in general.  Even so it makes enough sense that a Prius C might be my next DD.

On a set of Sparco Terras.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/27/21 3:47 p.m.

Yeah, I was just going to request the same thing.

Except I don't want a Buyer's Guide that tells me how to buy the best one out there. I want a Buyer's Guide for the bottom of the barrel cars that can still be saved with some work. Teach me how to buy a cheap Prius that I can bring back to life.

Or better still, a CT200H or early Highlander Hybrid.  Are they all basically the same underneath?

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
8/27/21 3:51 p.m.

I love my gen 3, have put 30k on it with basically no repairs.  The drivetrain isn't inspiring for spirited driving, but they can hustle tail of the dragon without holding up traffic just fine.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/27/21 4:01 p.m.

The main difference between the two being that people pretended that they could make the panther platform fun when it was never really engaging, it was just fun because you were doing stupid stuff that it was never intended to do. The Prius doesn't pretend to be fun, unless you lift it and put AT tires on it. But it's more reliable, more efficient, easier to work on and more vanilla than even the panther platform. It's the perfect vehicle for when every other vehicle you own is causing a headache and you want to get in something that is going to want for very little and ask for nothing. 

Can't tow though. Or can't tow enough for me, which isn't much.

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/27/21 4:42 p.m.

Yeah, going to have to disagree with this one. Having driven both and owned a Panther, I'll hard pass on the Prius. 

While the Prius is certainly better at being an appliance, it is an uninspiring one at best. And in no way is it more dependable or durable than a Panther. The cost of replacement batteries kicks it out of that category. The ones I've driven are just plain boring to drive. The P71 Panther handles better. 

A P71 will take the kink at CMP at 110 and slow down for turn 10 before running off in the grass. It will do that over and over again for 20 minutes and ask for more. The Prius won't make it to 110 anywhere on the track. A Panther will do back-to-back rallycross runs with 10 drivers and ask for more. The rallycross Prius I could find required a bunch of TRD parts from other vehicles to work off road. While the Prius will knock down 45 mpg on the interstate, the Panther will manage 22 with more comfort, a better ride, and better performance. As a bonus, it will do that while towing a trailer with a fiberglass Spitfire bonnet on it back from Deleware with 3 people and luggage. 

Don't get me wrong, what the Prius does well, it does very well and with Toyota's usual dependability. I'd still rather drive a Panther on a day-to-day basis and pay the extra gas bill. 

Then again, I'd rather drive a P71 than a Miata so maybe I'm not the person to ask. laugh

NermalSnert (Forum Supporter)
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
8/27/21 8:14 p.m.

I sometimes go 93 on the interstate and pass a few cars just because it's a Prius damn it. That's a minor confession, too.cheeky

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/27/21 8:29 p.m.

Anyone ever throw nitrous on one?

JG Pasterjak
8/27/21 8:38 p.m.
JesseWolfe said:

I always liked the C model for looks, though I'm not a fan of Toyota or Prius in general.  Even so it makes enough sense that a Prius C might be my next DD.

On a set of Sparco Terras.

Okay now I'm absolutely convinced you people have hacked in to our inter-office chat.

David S. Wallens
8/27/21 10:10 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

How the heck did they get that screenshot that I sent you? 

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
8/27/21 10:24 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Anyone ever throw nitrous on one?

Someone on YouTube did and instantly ventilated the engine block.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
8/30/21 6:20 p.m.

Hat tip to Daylan for coming across this one:

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nQdBxqdywO704HjbOQx7dk3xommpa2T4u94uDT79YVf7aPtQuVyEisaX7fqorlNQ