Entropyman
Entropyman GRM+ Member
8/13/09 3:57 p.m.

Hi folks, first thread from a long time lurker. I have a 97 318ti and I installed an Ireland Engineering camber/toe adjusment kit on the rear subframe while I had it out for bushing replacement. Went in for alignment and initially had 1/2" toe out on the passenger side but they were able to adjust it down to 11/64" (still way to much). The driver's side isn't bad (adjusted to 1/64" toe in). This would be easy if I had done a baseline before hand but now I don't know if I have a trailing arm issue or a subframe issue. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

walterj
walterj Dork
8/13/09 4:09 p.m.

Did you install toe adj inboard or outboard?

Entropyman
Entropyman GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/13/09 4:44 p.m.

In reply to walterj: Outboard, and there was some discussion at the alignment shop if this was correct (shop owner runs an E36 M3 at HDPEs and autocrosses) but I would think that since the installation was based on the stock mounting holes I should be able to at least get factory settings. It is still at stock ride height.

walterj
walterj Dork
8/13/09 6:18 p.m.
Entropyman wrote: In reply to walterj: Outboard, and there was some discussion at the alignment shop if this was correct (shop owner runs an E36 M3 at HDPEs and autocrosses) but I would think that since the installation was based on the stock mounting holes I should be able to at least get factory settings. It is still at stock ride height.

They should have slotted the outboard fore/aft and there should be plenty of adjustment - especially at stock ride height. I would have to conclude that either the eccentrics aren't "settled" properly (you kinda have to grind a little off the corner of one to get them to sit unless you are raising them up) or they just didn't bother to adjust it because its hard to get a wrench on it if you forgot to trim up the bushing before reinstalling. It will be somewhat linked to the camber so you have to tweak both back and forth to get what you want.

Entropyman
Entropyman GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/13/09 7:15 p.m.

In reply to walterj: Thanks! I will look at it more thoroughly this weekend when I have the wheels off. You have also confirmed that I installed the kit correctly. This will be a good time to develope some home alignment skills.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uqwtt2EwhyG9y0brVCnlE778tQOqGNCM34hcOWEsQ6eyUtfkFAC28qnQBeG0H9PL