1 2 3 4
Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
10/29/13 5:55 p.m.

I'm getting lazy in my old age

MityVac 7300 pneumatic fluid extractor. $90 shipped with Amazon prime. They make one with a hand pump for a little less.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Reader
10/29/13 6:14 p.m.
turboswede wrote: How about something like this? Shouldn't be too hard for a GRM'er to build from an old oil pan, a skateboard/creeper/rollerblade and some scrap metal.

I like this idea, but it eats up a lot of floor space when not in use, it'd have to have a sealed cover so it could be turned on end and not leak.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: I'm getting lazy in my old age MityVac 7300 pneumatic fluid extractor. $90 shipped with Amazon prime. They make one with a hand pump for a little less.

This also intrigues me, with something like this I'd never have to mess with the eleventy-billion torx screws VW used to attach the plastic splash shield with.

I guess you just know how much oil should be removed and measure what it sucks out? I don't know how it could remove as much oil as pulling the drain plug would? Just stick the tube down the dip stick tube and wiggle it around until it's sucking air?

• Lee
foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
10/29/13 7:26 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: This is what I use. Gets the job done and doubles as a wash pan when needed.

I've been using one for years as well. I've also got a 5 gallon jug I drain it into. The jug has a wide mouth that I can stand the pan's spout into and leave it there to drain out completely.

I like the size of this pan, the way the lip helps keep splash inside, it holds several gallons (important on the Brick). Does a very good job of being indestructible, I've dropped cars onto it several times and ran over it at least once.

That said, I can still make a heck of a mess.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
10/29/13 7:28 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: I'm getting lazy in my old age MityVac 7300 pneumatic fluid extractor. $90 shipped with Amazon prime. They make one with a hand pump for a little less.

Are you actually using this, or just considering it? If you are using it, could you tell us about your experiences with it? As I get older, the ground gets harder and further away, especially during winter.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
10/29/13 7:48 p.m.
Woody wrote:  photo 1983911SCProgress001-11.jpg  photo 1983911SCProgress002-9.jpg

Hey, look at Woody, he own's a 911!
My exact words the first time I changed the oil on my 911 with the unmodified pan were as follows: E36 M3 E36 M3 E36 M3 E36 M3 E36 M3 E36 M3 E36 M3. I've never had a problem on any of my other cars.

daytonaer
daytonaer HalfDork
10/29/13 8:05 p.m.

I have both the large black one, and the medium yellow capped one.

The default is kitty litter pans, they are plastic and cheap. There is no solution for the oil filter, that usually goes in a plastic bag.

A gentle touch when moving 7 quarts of oil in those, and a gravel drive hide most sins. Practice, plus patience, plus luck helps.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon SuperDork
10/29/13 8:13 p.m.

This makes a good catch pan

10/29/13 8:35 p.m.
foxtrapper wrote:
Are you actually using this, or just considering it? If you are using it, could you tell us about your experiences with it? As I get older, the ground gets harder and further away, especially during winter.

I'm committed but inexperienced :)

I will give you the lowdown after this weekend when it changes the 11 qts of oil in my truck and the 7 in my wife's 325XiT.

It's cold. My garage is full of projects. In theory I can use this in the driveway without removing a single nut or bolt or even bending over (except to snag the oil filter off the truck).

I am excite. Amazon says "Estimated delivery 10/30 by end of day".

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/29/13 8:39 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote:
Woody wrote:  photo 1983911SCProgress001-11.jpg  photo 1983911SCProgress002-9.jpg
Hey, look at Woody, he own's a 911! My exact words the first time I changed the oil on my 911 with the unmodified pan were as follows: E36 M3 E36 M3 E36 M3 E36 M3 E36 M3 E36 M3 E36 M3. I've never had a problem on any of my other cars.

photo PorscheOil005.jpg

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
10/29/13 8:46 p.m.

you guys really have this many problems with oil changes?

i've got one of those closed black ones with the drain hole in the middle, and never have an issue as long as i remember to open the vent hole... they put a nice little lip on it to set the filter on and let that drain...

i've also got an open drain pan that has a piece of heavy screen formed over the top of it.. just take the filter off and set it on the mesh to drain, then let the oil drain into the pan...

pro tip: change the oil when the engine is hot.. the oil runs better... just try not to drop the drain plug into the oil pan- it sucks sticking your hand into 200 degree oil...

10/29/13 8:49 p.m.
Woody wrote:  photo 1983911SCProgress002-9.jpg

Hahahaha! Nice.

As someone who has changed a lot of oil in an air cooled P-Car I recognize that "mod" right away.

I had that same catch can. The first time, I got to clean about 7 quarts of boiling hot oil off my garage floor when it came out faster than the little hole could handle.

I believe it's an intentional joke on behalf of the Germans. Every other part of the car got overkill... if they weren't using it to haze noobs they would have employed a spigot.

asoduk
asoduk New Reader
10/29/13 10:26 p.m.

I have one of the cheap pans with the little indent for pouring, and one of the open tops like toyman. For me, it really depends on the car for how much of a mess it is. I just did my '06 9-3 tonight without a drip or even getting any on me 9pure luck?). Miatas are a mess due to the location of the filter, but I've seen relocation kits that take away the burning and the mess. If you have a 944, you just know its going to be a terrible mess from the filter too as it is mounted the wrong way and basically dumps it entire contents as you unscrew it.

I'm a big fan of pig mats (newpig.com) and split a roll with some friends/family every few years. They are great for oil change messes as well as daily use for a drippy car/motorcycle. They are also great as trunk liners. You want the ones with the plastic backing, and they can be bought in various sizes, in boxes of sheets, or in a roll. The roll is handy to split with friends and a lot cheaper.

Since its related... I'm also a huge fan of "Scrubs in a Bucket". Basically handy wipes for the garage: a smooth side, a rough side, and some magic liquid that gets grease, paint, etc off and you don't need water to rinse. Great for junkyard trips, the track, or home.

This is sounding like a lot of suggestions, but for really messy jobs, Invisible Glove makes hand clean up a lot better too.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
10/30/13 7:12 a.m.
novaderrik wrote: you guys really have this many problems with oil changes? i've got one of those closed black ones with the drain hole in the middle, and never have an issue as long as i remember to open the vent hole... they put a nice little lip on it to set the filter on and let that drain... i've also got an open drain pan that has a piece of heavy screen formed over the top of it.. just take the filter off and set it on the mesh to drain, then let the oil drain into the pan... pro tip: change the oil when the engine is hot.. the oil runs better... just try not to drop the drain plug into the oil pan- it sucks sticking your hand into 200 degree oil...

that's happened ... pulled hand out quickly, let the oil cool, then went fishing for the bolt ....

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
10/30/13 4:57 p.m.
codrus wrote: We have curbside oil recycling, which requires that the oil go into what are basically milk jugs (slightly thicker plastic and stronger screwtops, but they otherwise look identical). Stick the funnel in the top of the milk jug and wedge a small screwdriver between the two to create an air vent, and transferring the oil to the milk jug rarely spills more than a few drops which are easily caught with paper towels underneath. Just don't pull the funnel out before the screwdriver, or you have to go fishing. You also need to be judicious about how fast the oil goes into the funnel, or it can knock over the empty milk jug and make a huge mess.

Yeah...you just pretty much said exactly all the reasons why I want to build my contraption to avoid all the stuff you just said. But I think you're trying to say you're a fan of the milk-jug-with-a-funnel-balanced-on-top-and-a-screwdriver-air-vent-to-make-it-more-unstable idea? Does not compute

nicksta43
nicksta43 SuperDork
10/30/13 5:06 p.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: This makes a good catch pan

Quickly and quietly look out your front window, see that van parked down the road? O.K. now listen very closely, you should be hearing the helicopters approaching off in the distance...

You my friend are know #1 on the EPA's most wanted list. Have fun at Gitmo...

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/30/13 6:03 p.m.
ClemSparks wrote: Yeah...you just pretty much said exactly all the reasons why I want to build my contraption to avoid all the stuff you just said. But I think you're trying to say you're a fan of the milk-jug-with-a-funnel-balanced-on-top-and-a-screwdriver-air-vent-to-make-it-more-unstable idea? Does not compute

Perhaps, it's just never really been a problem. Do it carefully, pay attention to what you're doing, and it works fine. No fancy contraption needed.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
10/30/13 6:28 p.m.
nicksta43 wrote:
Spoolpigeon wrote: This makes a good catch pan
Quickly and quietly look out your front window, see that van parked down the road? O.K. now listen very closely, you should be hearing the helicopters approaching off in the distance... You my friend are know #1 on the EPA's most wanted list. Have fun at Gitmo...

my grandpa paved his red rock driveway with drain oil...

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/30/13 8:22 p.m.
wbjones wrote: that's happened ... pulled hand out quickly, let the oil cool, then went fishing for the bolt ....

Except when it happened to me, it completely plugged the drain hole. I was slowly watching the level rise in the drain pan. Finally, when it was about to overflow, I heroically plunged my hand into the scalding oil to save the garage floor by fishing out the out the drain plug. How could I deprive myself of this experience while paying someone else the princely sum of $25?

I'm helping a friend learn some basic auto maintenance. I taught him how to do an oil change and then said "now that you know how to do this, the best and cheapest way to do this is to take it somewhere and have them do it for $25."

Even buying oil and filters at wal-mart, it's tough to be out less than $20 when doing an oil change. I like doing my own because it gives me a chance to get under the car and check other things out. Plus, I know it's been done right (well, minus the mess)!

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
10/30/13 8:51 p.m.

A leaf blown in, unseen by you, can do the same thing.

I was a slow learner, I think I took two, maybe three overflows before I threw the drain plug model away and went with the big open pan type.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/30/13 8:59 p.m.
dj06482 wrote: I'm helping a friend learn some basic auto maintenance. I taught him how to do an oil change and then said "now that you know how to do this, the best and cheapest way to do this is to take it somewhere and have them do it for $25."

Complete with complimentary cross-threaded plug that wasn't actually tightened far enough so it dribbles out three quarts in 1000 miles?

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
10/30/13 9:18 p.m.
ditchdigger wrote: Of course, it requires some additional equipment.....

I have one of these (a smaller, cheaper version actually). It was great when I could take the 8 gallon jug to the ex-g/f's township recycling center once or twice a year to empty it... Now that I can't, I just use my old black version of the one Woody posted and transfer the oil to old 5 qt oil bottle.

When we broke up, my under-lift jug was over half full... so I had to transfer the oil to an old 5 qt Castrol bottle and made 4 trips to the local Autozone over a couple of months. That sucked. The under-lift set-up will go into storage until I can find a place that will allow me to dump that much oil at a time once a year or so.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
10/30/13 9:32 p.m.
dj06482 wrote:
wbjones wrote: that's happened ... pulled hand out quickly, let the oil cool, then went fishing for the bolt ....
Except when it happened to me, it completely plugged the drain hole. I was slowly watching the level rise in the drain pan. Finally, when it was about to overflow, I heroically plunged my hand into the scalding oil to save the garage floor by fishing out the out the drain plug. How could I deprive myself of this experience while paying someone else the princely sum of $25? I'm helping a friend learn some basic auto maintenance. I taught him how to do an oil change and then said "now that you know how to do this, the best and cheapest way to do this is to take it somewhere and have them do it for $25." Even buying oil and filters at wal-mart, it's tough to be out less than $20 when doing an oil change. I like doing my own because it gives me a chance to get under the car and check other things out. Plus, I know it's been done right (well, minus the mess)!

'course I don't have one of those with a tiny hole for the oil ... mines one of the ones pictured earlier that is open ...

as for letting someone else do my oil ... I've heard too many horror stories about mouth breathers that either fail to replace the plug, or don't actually put in any oil ... I realize that the vast majority of the people doing oil changes are at least competent ... but I'll just keep on doing my own (did my F150 this afternoon

Josh
Josh SuperDork
10/30/13 9:49 p.m.

Instead of that giant hole that your drain plug will promptly drop right into, why not grab a 1/2" spade bit and drill 6 or 8 holes encircling the original drain hole instead?

Mitchell
Mitchell SuperDork
10/31/13 2:42 a.m.

I use a simple open drain pan, placed with the lip just under the drain hole, so that the arced oil stream hits the middle of the pan.

tpwalsh
tpwalsh Reader
10/31/13 7:57 a.m.

In reply to Josh:

Probably a better idea, though this mod has been touted for a long time on PelicanParts. I've got a pan exactly like that... because I own an air cooled Porsche.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gMiKOUEpggqpYebTG0RJreHjd1krWFNegWF3TYhWD3FCokPOVIFjhgvjKy7aKViT