1 2 3 4
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/26/21 8:42 p.m.
GCrites80s said:

I actually really like the way the early W-Bodies handle smaller bumps and jumps. They're very composed. Don't know how they handle the really big stuff though. All the ones I drove were Olds. Way different feel in the rough stuff as compared to say an F-body.

It all depends on your local courses.  Personally I see a W body sucking hard compared to something smaller like a Cobalt or a Neon or, if you are baller-rich, a CRX.

It's not so much handling the rough stuff, it's the ability to change direction.

I try to explain it to people like, imagine you are driving 30mph down a side street.  Turn into someone's driveway without slowing down.  Don't touch their lawn.  Also, since this is on grass/dirt, there are ruts from the last fifty runs, so if you slide into them you will debead a tire or bend something if you do it wrong.

Berrrrrrk manual transmissions

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/26/21 8:47 p.m.

Agility is the name of the game is rallycross. Soaking up bumps is one thing, being able to run an offset slalom while the suspension is compressing and rebounding from uneven surfaces. 

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/27/21 4:09 a.m.

The thing is that the Lumina runs and I already own it. A $500 car with no motor is going to be a $1,200 car by the time it is running not even counting the value of the time I spend putting a motor in it. A $300 car or a free car in Connecticut or Ohio is still a $900 car for me in Texas when you add the costs of transporting it here, including the cost of me taking time off from work to go get the car or paying somebody else to get it. There also seems to be a real stupid money tax on cars right now. There are a lot of $900 cars on Facebook Marketplace that really should be parted out or sent to a wrecking yard. Most cars with over 200,000 miles on them that are missing an engine and a transmission are NOT worth anything, much less the $900 the seller says they are worth. Maybe the stupid money tax will go away along with Covid or when the sellers get tired of looking at their junk. I also see a lot of price drops on non running cars. 

I may just drive the Lumina right now and hope that in the long term something better drops in my lap.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/27/21 8:44 a.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) :

There are no $300 cars in Ohio when scrap value is more than that.  If you find something under $2500 that can be registered it's because you know a guy.

That said, I may talk about perfect this or that, because if you're going at something from the perspective of starting from scratch, it's important to start from a good place.  No sense starting a vehicle "build" from a really bad premise.

But, if you already own something that has four wheels and passes tech, that is already better than some theoretical construct.  Seat time is always more important than postulating.

(That S40 I used to run?  I ran it because it was there, not because it was a good idea.  Had a lot of fun.)

3/27/21 9:28 a.m.

I also see a lot of Crown Vics at rallycrosses and at the Gambler 500 events. The Lumina is at least front wheel drive. I am also looking at putting a good set of mud tires on it. 

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
3/27/21 9:04 p.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:

the Lumina runs and I already own it. 

That's the perfect rally car. Dont over think it. Go rally. 

3/27/21 9:17 p.m.

What I am thinking now is mud tires for the front.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
3/28/21 8:15 a.m.

We had cheapo mud and snow car tires on ours, they were pretty decent in the dry, not as good as legit snow tires when the ground was soft.

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/28/21 8:46 a.m.

Haven't read anything but the title. Between the Stimmy and it being refund season, there are probably not any $500 cars available right now. 

3/28/21 9:27 a.m.

In reply to mtn (Forum Supporter) :

What about cheap mud tires?

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/28/21 11:38 a.m.

Why mud tires instead of snow? 

Mud tires normally have very stiff side walls that are designed to absorb bouncing and don't have a lot of contact patch as they're designed to serve as paddles. They're less than ideal for hardpack dirt, gravel and grass fields that you'll encounter in rallycross and likely a rare option that will actually be far slower than regular old all seasons would be. Now if you are getting them for gambler purposes, That's a whole different ball of wax, but for rallycross, hard hard pass on mud tires. 

dps214
dps214 HalfDork
3/28/21 11:46 a.m.

Right, you want something at least vaguely designed with handling in mind. Mud tires might be good at pulling you through just about anything in a straight line, but ask them to change direction and it all goes to crap.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/28/21 1:51 p.m.

Scrap is up around my way and there are advertising $300/CAR So why would I want the issues of selling something for $500

We had a muddy curve on the track today and another one that was super soft and kept rutting.  The fastest cars were still on RE71s.  The fast hard compact sections make up for it, and of course driving skills.  Since the events are time averaged, I didn't do as well today.  I had one DNF run after a break since I totally blew a sharp left hander.  Other than that the car is still way faster than I am. 

If you want to see more photos of N. TX Rallycross fun I posted some in my now totally mis-titled build thread.  A change would be nice... Maybe AnthonyGS's garage and cars.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/three-porsches-2000-911-996-c2-2000-boxster-s-986-/162893/page3/#post3245748

If you are thinking about trying Rallycross, just do it.  If you live in the OKC or greater DFW area, then get your rear to N TX Rallycross.  I will let you drive the Subaru as long as you don't beat my times in it. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/14/21 3:28 p.m.
NoBrakesRacing said:

96 civic $950 but will probably take less.

Just need to find some used springs

It was great meeting you at the Rallycross yesterday.  I hope to see you there again soon.  I won't be at the July 3rd 4th one.  I need to take some time off from it, but I will be at the next points one in July or August I'm sure.  I may bring my son to the next one.  I wish I could find the photos from yesterday.  There was a photographer out there and he usually gets some pretty nice photos. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mHNC4jCHoe8uHQbqz1FoTJ1Y78uuS6udmmis6Wt4VdpkApuGucw5gkV60pluXdWM