1 2 3 4 5
yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/8/22 10:15 p.m.

Cars & Coffee starting at 0700 in the morning in a Saturday. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
7/8/22 10:48 p.m.
yupididit said:

I'm not a morning person either.

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
7/9/22 1:00 a.m.

There's something worse than that: a Cars and Coffee alternate that runs 9am-noon, eating up half the day.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/9/22 2:23 a.m.

In reply to kb58 :

9 to noon is only 3 hours. That's like an 8th of the day. 

karussell
karussell New Reader
7/9/22 2:50 a.m.

Adjustable exhaust that is somehow fully open in the middle of residential area, causing police to check all 'illegal' modifications.

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
7/9/22 8:18 a.m.
yupididit said:

My old C&C ran from 9-12 but the "old guys with rare S197 Mustangs" club would show up at 7 to get the front parking spots. Always wanted to park my racecar up front but I was working late back then and didn't want to get up at 6.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/9/22 8:59 a.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to maschinenbau :

He might also be talking about the internet and possibly magazines. In which case hes right.

All of the above. I used to organize local events back in the day. I walked away and folded the whole thing when all people did was act like jackasses. 

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/9/22 9:20 a.m.
chaparral said:

Hostility towards the EPA and NHTSA.

If it wasn't for the rules, the automakers would backslide as far as they could as frequently as they could.  We would still be stuck with carburetors and points and lap belts. 

And the problem with that is?

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
7/9/22 9:49 a.m.
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) said:
chaparral said:

Hostility towards the EPA and NHTSA.

If it wasn't for the rules, the automakers would backslide as far as they could as frequently as they could.  We would still be stuck with carburetors and points and lap belts. 

And the problem with that is?

Air that smells like your neighbor is tarring his roof comes to mind.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/22 10:12 a.m.

In reply to kb58 :

Engines that are worn out at 60k miles, which includes two valve jobs in the interim, also comes to mind.

Nothing increased engine longevity more than fine fuel control in both mixture and fuel distribution, and electronic spark control.

Who remembers Chevy six cylinder engines that had two cylinders that would foul the plugs from being rich and two cylinders that would burn up valves from being lean?  And they made those engines for decades because, meh, if you want better buy a V8.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP HalfDork
7/9/22 10:27 a.m.
yupididit said:

I think starting early has the effect in that it keeps a lot of the people that like to cause a ruckus away because they don't want to get up as early.

Not saying *everyone* who doesn't want to get up early is a troublemaker. I know the local cars and coffee when it runs in the afternoon tends to have more 'showboats' rev bombing past the lot than when we host in the same location a few hours earlier.

Defined motorsports
Defined motorsports SuperDork
7/9/22 11:09 a.m.
wearymicrobe said:

Sideshows. Every single one of the cars should be taken away and crushed or sold. I have never seen such bullE36 M3. Plus is it growing here in SoCal and its killing the car scene. The guys on bikes I can amlost accept because they are going to kill themselves riding like that and likely not hurt anyone else. But swinging a car does not take skill and its not a "lifestyle" 

Best Hyphy Sideshow Oakland GIFs | Gfycat

Have the children given these circus acts a name? Is there a way to search for this charade?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/9/22 11:19 a.m.
wearymicrobe said:

Sideshows. Every single one of the cars should be taken away and crushed or sold. I have never seen such bullE36 M3. Plus is it growing here in SoCal and its killing the car scene. The guys on bikes I can amlost accept because they are going to kill themselves riding like that and likely not hurt anyone else. But swinging a car does not take skill and its not a "lifestyle" 

It'll never happen in SoCal, because no snow, but I've always harbored a deep fantasy of having a 4x4 with a plow, encountering a sideshow, dropping said plow, and full speed ahead.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
7/9/22 11:25 a.m.
Defined motorsports said:
wearymicrobe said:

Sideshows. Every single one of the cars should be taken away and crushed or sold. I have never seen such bullE36 M3. Plus is it growing here in SoCal and its killing the car scene. The guys on bikes I can almost accept because they are going to kill themselves riding like that and likely not hurt anyone else. But swinging a car does not take skill and its not a "lifestyle" 

Have the children given these circus acts a name? Is there a way to search for this charade?

Sideshows or swinging is the local term in SoCal. May have something else outside of the state. People get killed at these things our here, its a whole subculture. The worst is what they do after the show. To keep the cops away they use fireworks to drive away the police choppers. Then they use dedicate blocker cars to let everyone run. Now the cops get the blocker cars but a good chunk of the time they are rentals and the guy who blocks just runs from the cops in foot. 

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
7/9/22 10:57 p.m.

New cars (like, literally fresh from the dealer lot) at car shows. How nice for you; you can afford to make payments.

If I wanted to see new cars I'd go to a dealer lot on a Sunday.

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/9/22 11:17 p.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

Guy I share a rental space with was asking me what I thought about the new Z car.  I said (paraphrased) berk if I know, ask me in 2062 if I am still around.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/9/22 11:31 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to kb58 :

Engines that are worn out at 60k miles, which includes two valve jobs in the interim, also comes to mind.

Nothing increased engine longevity more than fine fuel control in both mixture and fuel distribution, and electronic spark control.

Who remembers Chevy six cylinder engines that had two cylinders that would foul the plugs from being rich and two cylinders that would burn up valves from being lean?  And they made those engines for decades because, meh, if you want better buy a V8.

I disagree.  The PCV system doubled engine longevity at a minimum. 

After that, closely held tolerances and EFI did the rest, likely in equalish measures 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
7/9/22 11:39 p.m.
wearymicrobe said:

Sideshows or swinging is the local term in SoCal. May have something else outside of the state. People get killed at these things our here, its a whole subculture. The worst is what they do after the show. To keep the cops away they use fireworks to drive away the police choppers. Then they use dedicate blocker cars to let everyone run. Now the cops get the blocker cars but a good chunk of the time they are rentals and the guy who blocks just runs from the cops in foot. 

Street's Closed! - GIPHY Clips 

Mr_Asa
7/9/22 11:42 p.m.

There's about half a dozen things in this vid.

Not wearing safety equipment. 

Not having a properly set up car.

Testing on public roads.

Not having proper brakes

Knowing the above is berkeleyed up and doing it anyways. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/9/22 11:45 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to kb58 :

I disagree.  The PCV system doubled engine longevity at a minimum. 

After that, closely held tolerances and EFI did the rest, likely in equalish measures 

I mean, you're not wrong...

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/10/22 8:03 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Purposefully riding the brakes in a car with a sticking throttle. I hope his insurance company saw this and denies  the claim so he has to pay for his car and the car hit.

Mr_Asa
7/10/22 8:14 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Purposefully riding the brakes in a car with a sticking throttle. I hope his insurance company saw this and denies  the claim so he has to pay for his car and the car hit.

He mentioned in the original youtube vid (which I didn't link to avoid giving him traffic) that he had liability but hadn't gotten collision yet.

What an idiot.

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
7/10/22 8:42 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Mr_Asa :

He mentioned in the original youtube vid (which I didn't link to avoid giving him traffic) that he had liability but hadn't gotten collision yet.

What an idiot.

He hit that standing car hard enough that injuries were a distinct possibility.  Why didn't he just take it out of gear FFS?  And by posting the video, he made a calculated choice that he'd rather have the eyeballs than protect himself from liability. In a world where people are carrying out mass shootings because they saw it on the internet and thought it was something cool to do, I don't have enough FU's for this guy. 

Mr_Asa
7/10/22 9:06 a.m.

In reply to ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) :

They're a certainty, to himself and his passenger at least.  You can see the passenger's face hit the dash and the driver's arm bend past 180 degrees at time of impact.  Theirs were bad cause they were anticipating, hopefully the guy/family in the SUV wasn't and was limp enough to not be badly hurt

gearheadmb
gearheadmb UltraDork
7/10/22 9:23 a.m.
Defined motorsports said:

The internet.

All the toxicity in the world exists here. Nobody throws shade in real life without getting punched in the mouth. The disrespect levels of this planet are out of control. the old days were "nicer" because of this. You didn't throw disrespect around in 1970 because you'll end up getting humiliated in public or thrown out of town. 
todays kids get to say anything. 

It's a double edged sword. It's never been easier to find cars and parts, new or used. Its never been easier to find like minded people with the same interests. It's never been easier to gather information and see how people build thing and see how well aftermarket parts actually work and what junkyard part recipes work well. In many ways the internet is the best thing that ever happened to the car hobby. The downside is you have to deal with so many twats.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2PjSU8aChNYOgWhQUOyKo2J3da9aE9Lh2CoqpiQCUXaRS3R4rTOZP4HXVUdzHuGU