1 2 3
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/7/21 3:08 p.m.
feature_image

The AE86-chassis Toyota Corolla GT-S gets a lot right: relatively lightweight, rear-wheel drive, and an engine that loves to rev. Perhaps not surprisingly, that formula has led these cars to be popular in various forms of motorsports like drifting and circuit racing.

Fast forward to today, and demand–as well as prices–look to be on the rise. How much so? A …

Read the rest of the story

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
5/7/21 3:15 p.m.

What's a nice non-Z06 etc C5 go for these days, 1/2 of the money this sold for?  1/3rd?  

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/7/21 3:17 p.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

What's a nice non-Z06 etc C5 go for these days, 1/2 of the money this sold for?  1/3rd?  

actually nice? 1/2 of this... but the C5 doesn't have nearly the cult following these do..

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/7/21 3:19 p.m.

Wow. I just don't get it. They're cool and all, but barely $10k cool. And certainly not $40k cool. It's not even pristine. I'm starting to believe the money laundering theory.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/7/21 3:24 p.m.

Pretty sure you could get a Toyobaru and enough CF parts to bring it down to an AE86's weight at that price. Even without the popup lights, that seems like a way better deal.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
5/7/21 3:25 p.m.

In reply to spacecadet (Forum Supporter) :

I understand the emotional response / cult following thing and how it can affect the price but this just seems silly.  I'm not a big C5 fan but there's not much a hatchback C5 can do that this can do better aside from carry small things / people in a back seat.  And I think I'd feel like I did okay for the money standing next to my new-to-me $20k C5 vs. this car for $40k.  Or even the same money.

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/7/21 3:31 p.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

I say with with a wry smile and a hint of sarcasm......

The problem with your thinking... is inserting anything resembling logic... into a collector car auction....

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/7/21 3:41 p.m.

Hagarty puts out a top ten list every year of future collectables. Out of my 8.25 cars I have 5.25 of the cars from the last two years.

Let the market do what it wants. I will try to remain cutting edge haha.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/7/21 3:48 p.m.

For $40k, I figured it would be a better example. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/7/21 3:50 p.m.

It would be one thing if it was a number one or even number two example with low miles, but for what is advertised, I'd rather put that money into a modern 86–new or used.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/7/21 4:02 p.m.

I'm convinced the last 14 months has driven everyone, literally, not figuratively, everyone insane.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/7/21 4:35 p.m.

If I was going to spend $40,000 on some kind of sports car, the answer would be which used Corvette or Porsche do I like the most. Or maybe a Lotus?

malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/7/21 4:39 p.m.

As much as I love these cars, that is not a 40k car to me...more like 12k

Flynlow (FS)
Flynlow (FS) Dork
5/7/21 4:46 p.m.

My guess is that this, like most high $$$ BAT auctions, is one boutique dealer selling to another for big money on paper.  I've stopped paying attention, honestly. 

"Oh, did you see a (blank) just sold on BAT for all the money?" 

Nope, and I'm assuming it's all smoke and mirrors until proven otherwise.  Maybe #4 condition AE86's really are worth $40K these days......but I doubt it. 

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/7/21 5:02 p.m.

Buyers can hit the crackpipe too.

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
5/7/21 5:26 p.m.

Pretty sure this one goes in the paid to much column of CM.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
5/7/21 6:34 p.m.

Considering my adventures in MR2 shopping, this does not surprise me.

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
5/7/21 7:10 p.m.

Wow...just wow is all I have to say!

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
5/7/21 8:06 p.m.

Am I the only one who never remembers seeing these in the '80s? Granted I was a kid then but I remember seeing just about everything else. My first introduction to them was Gran Turismo. I can't help but feel that the game brought the car more fanfare than its real-life existence. Everyone had F-Body, C4, Grand National, 911 and exotics on their minds in the '80s. Or older stuff like 510s and 356s.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/7/21 9:14 p.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

The difference is a reasonably nice C5 is a lot easier to find than a well presented AE86.

jb229
jb229 New Reader
5/7/21 10:34 p.m.

I just assumed someone with more money than sense wanted to buy the hero car from Initial D.  Despite it not being in perfect shape and being the wrong color.  Has anyone won a major drifting prize lately?

Anything over 10K for this is nuts, but what was the markup for Bullitt-style fastback Mustangs or Vanishing Point Challengers 25 years after those movies came out?  A hero car is a hero car for some people I guess.

Surely it must be cheaper to import one.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/8/21 5:51 a.m.

I cut one up to build a Locost.

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/8/21 8:03 a.m.

I shot one with a potato cannon and donated the shell to a local fire department to practice jaws of life rescue on (SR5, but still kick myself just a bit on that one.)

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
5/8/21 8:50 a.m.

Are we sure that the decimal wasn't in the wrong place, and that it should have read $4,000 ????

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
5/8/21 9:14 a.m.

Was it loaded with cocaine in the door panels?  

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IMQI2fsnYcSgpdZIWNtA7SIUd9x7siqm7BTPO1N1FBysz0aHqSKy1be0YXRbp6Bz