1 2 3 4
Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/19/16 7:14 a.m.

I vote fly n drive as well. Cross country road trip in an FD sounds epic.

Side bar: I know these cars have a bit of a reputation for being high maintenance, but just how evil to maintain are they exactly? How well do they fit taller drivers?

IMO, the FD is one of the sexiest sports cars of the 90's and probably one of the sexiest to come out of Japan period, from both a technical and aesthetic perspective. I'd love to own one before they skyrocket in price, which I think is inevitable in the not-too-distant future.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/19/16 11:46 a.m.
Furious_E wrote: I vote fly n drive as well. Cross country road trip in an FD sounds epic. Side bar: I know these cars have a bit of a reputation for being high maintenance, but just how evil to maintain are they exactly? How well do they fit taller drivers? IMO, the FD is one of the sexiest sports cars of the 90's and probably one of the sexiest to come out of Japan period, from both a technical and aesthetic perspective. I'd love to own one before they skyrocket in price, which I think is inevitable in the not-too-distant future.

I haven't owned one before, so I can't personally comment on the maintenance, but the RCR review of it includes the line "this is the car you buy when your Evo IX is too reliable".

As far as tall drivers, how tall are you? I'm 6' 0" and I just fit in the car. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't fit with a helmet without some kind of seat modifications (which is fine, I'm buying this one as a street car, not a track car). Think NA Miata plus maybe an inch.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/21/16 4:13 p.m.
codrus wrote:
Furious_E wrote: I vote fly n drive as well. Cross country road trip in an FD sounds epic. Side bar: I know these cars have a bit of a reputation for being high maintenance, but just how evil to maintain are they exactly? How well do they fit taller drivers? IMO, the FD is one of the sexiest sports cars of the 90's and probably one of the sexiest to come out of Japan period, from both a technical and aesthetic perspective. I'd love to own one before they skyrocket in price, which I think is inevitable in the not-too-distant future.
I haven't owned one before, so I can't personally comment on the maintenance, but the RCR review of it includes the line "this is the car you buy when your Evo IX is too reliable". As far as tall drivers, how tall are you? I'm 6' 0" and I just fit in the car. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't fit with a helmet without some kind of seat modifications (which is fine, I'm buying this one as a street car, not a track car). Think NA Miata plus maybe an inch.

I think I actually recognize the car from the RCR video from auto x. I think the RCR guy is fairly local to me, so not unlikely. If that is indeed the case, I once saw it leave on a flat bed...

Checked out a couple FDs up close today at Carlisle and the want is still very strong. Seeing one with a race seat and no headliner has me convinced i could probably maybe barely fit with a helmet. I'm just a hair shy of 6'3. Anyways, it would be a few months before I'm ready to dump the Camaro and go looking for something new, so plenty of time to sort out how serious I am about an FD.

codrus
5/24/16 5:03 p.m.

Update: it turns out they picked up the car last week (2 days after I posted the thread) and I didn't hear about it until today. Bizarre.

Anyway, car should be here in a week or so!

codrus
6/3/16 3:35 p.m.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
6/3/16 3:38 p.m.

Get that berkeleying krautwagen out of the garage so the FD can assume its' rightful place! Congrats!

codrus
6/3/16 3:41 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: Get that berkeleying krautwagen out of the garage so the FD can assume its' rightful place! Congrats!

The NB is sitting on a 4-post BendPak lift, and the ceiling is high enough for the FD to fit underneath. :)

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
knBroPr5wpyeaqVifWxzZjI2dxR2k48KNoJ8WUnlM6tTe0C6GP7cTT4I449UYTEf