1 2
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/13/19 2:11 p.m.
Ian F said:

In reply to Tom_Spangler :

I wish I had a picture of my '82 Subaru 4WD wagon with white wagon wheels and RWL Radial T/A's.   

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Did the CRX run the 205/60 size or the 175/70 size?

Tire Rack says it was a 175/30-13. I'm running 205/50-15 on it now for the street, but those wheels are just sitting around and it would be weird not to have race tires for everything...

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/13/19 2:46 p.m.
Ian F said:

I wish I had a picture of my '82 Subaru 4WD wagon with white wagon wheels and RWL Radial T/A's.  

Likewise, with my '88 wagon, although I think it had 195/70 Dunlops.  Sadly one got a shifted belt, and I was broke, and my service manager found a set of 175/80 Tiempos for $25 each in 1997...

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/13/19 3:12 p.m.

They have a very good selection of 14's also (a bit hard to find these days).

I always thought of these tires as a bit low on traction.  Am I wrong?  

It was a real pain finding replacements for my AVS Intermediates, and there does not appear to be anything like that in 14 anymore.  I ended up with Federals, which are OK, but clearly not AVS's.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/13/19 3:27 p.m.
aircooled said:

Yeah, honestly they weren't great tires. They looked cool, which is why 19-year-old me bought them, but they were a classic "tweener" all-season tire that wasn't much good in the summer OR winter. My then-girlfriend (now wife) also had them on her 4-banger 87 Mustang. Pretty exciting in the snow with those tires and no LSD.....

I honestly don't see buying any nowadays. RWL tires look good on some Rad-era cars, but 944s are not among them.

Knurled.
9/13/19 3:31 p.m.
aircooled said:

They have a very good selection of 14's also (a bit hard to find these days).

It was a real pain finding replacements for my AVS Intermediates, and there does not appear to be anything like that in 14 anymore.  I ended up with Federals, which are OK, but clearly not AVS's.

They are more fashion tires than performance tires.  They have floppy sidewalls and are rated 360/A/B.

My main experience with tires of this style was with Eagle STs, which were decent drag tires in the days before drag radials.  You could get them to launch harder with a good rubber-boiling burnout.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/13/19 3:38 p.m.

Pfft. I'm now shopping 15s for the 911.... smiley

Knurled.
9/13/19 4:11 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Pics plz

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
9/13/19 4:14 p.m.

I don't think they were bad tires for the era and the cars they were typically fitted to.  I want them for my Spitfire and GT6, which are both about at the same level of performance.  And a side-wall compliance wouldn't do either of those cars any harm. 

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/14/19 4:15 p.m.

In reply to snailmont5oh :

I think 13" AR-1s are roughly the same price 

235/45R13 are $145 for AR-1s 

Knurled.
9/19/19 7:23 p.m.

The blue is some seriously impervious sh...tuff.  The hose won't touch it, scrubbing with a hand mop and hot water didn't touch it.  Was going to take it to the coin-op and spend $5 to pressure wash soap at them, but my FC 13B decided to make like an FC 13B and eat a coolant seal, and I didn't want to take the chance of the car glugging on its own juices at the car wash when I tried to leave.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
9/19/19 7:43 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Bleech-Wite and a scrub brush always works for me. 

jimbbski
jimbbski SuperDork
9/20/19 2:22 p.m.

What I need is some 185/60X13's for my Mk I Fiesta!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0zBvNDBWsL7yhnM08QJ4nlxYaGoMELmKTME9RQpGxHC0noitiP8NrY2CBT6KMQaZ