CLynn85
CLynn85 Reader
9/10/11 7:12 p.m.

Maybe I'm just a little off, but when I did my 115k mile oil change in my Tacoma this weekend, I noticed that I'm only one oil change away from running out of the maintenance guide at 120k. Is this normal?

I figured since it was a Toyota it'd go to 200k easily. Does that mean I've done all my maintenance I need to do and now I can just stop doing oil changes? Is it worn out after 120k and I need to trade it in?

If I had financed it for 5 years I wouldn't even be done paying for it yet and I've already filled up the maintenance guide, what gives?

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Dork
9/10/11 7:36 p.m.

It's just broken in, really. I think the others will tell you to check for rust and keep doing what you're doing. With simple maintenance and regular oil changes it should just keep going.

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
9/10/11 7:48 p.m.

I need to find out what the 285K maintenance is in the next few weeks

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
9/10/11 7:56 p.m.

120k will get me between 18 months and 2 years.

Yep, you are done with all maintenance from this point on and will never need to add gasoline to the fuel tank again either

CLynn85
CLynn85 Reader
9/10/11 8:09 p.m.

Ok, so apparently my sarcasm didn't come through very well.

I was more so poking fun at the guide only going up to 120k, and curious what was the average, since this is the only new car I've owned and ever taken the time to record every service in the book.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/10/11 8:57 p.m.

you are asking what is normal Here?

erohslc
erohslc Reader
9/10/11 9:06 p.m.

Normal? What a concept.

corytate
corytate Reader
9/10/11 9:08 p.m.
CLynn85 wrote: Ok, so apparently my sarcasm didn't come through very well. I was more so poking fun at the guide only going up to 120k, and curious what was the average, since this is the only new car I've owned and ever taken the time to record every service in the book.

thats very strange that a toyota only goes to 120k, we've had 400k mile tacomas come in in good shape.
one lady has a camry with 425k miles, bought it new and has ran nothing but supertech 10w30 and fram filters in it. lol

corytate
corytate Reader
9/10/11 9:09 p.m.

recommended maintenance schedule for any french car only goes to 5000 miles.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
9/10/11 9:32 p.m.

Typical guides only go up till 100k or in your case 120k. Somewhere on the page will be a comment to the affect of, "for further mileage repeat through the schedule."

CLynn85
CLynn85 Reader
9/10/11 11:26 p.m.
corytate wrote:
CLynn85 wrote: Ok, so apparently my sarcasm didn't come through very well. I was more so poking fun at the guide only going up to 120k, and curious what was the average, since this is the only new car I've owned and ever taken the time to record every service in the book.
thats very strange that a toyota only goes to 120k, we've had 400k mile tacomas come in in good shape. one lady has a camry with 425k miles, bought it new and has ran nothing but supertech 10w30 and fram filters in it. lol

Argh... fail post, I was looking for average length of a maintenance guide, out of curiosity, not average how long my truck will last...

11110000 Reader
9/11/11 7:00 a.m.

I don't think I've seen a guide go beyond 150K miles, and I drive Volvos, so that's saying something. I'm sure the poor service writer gets tired...

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/11/11 8:34 a.m.

hand cramps from writing in all the little boxes?

corytate
corytate Reader
9/12/11 8:40 p.m.
CLynn85 wrote:
corytate wrote:
thats very strange that a toyota only goes to 120k, we've had 400k mile tacomas come in in good shape. one lady has a camry with 425k miles, bought it new and has ran nothing but supertech 10w30 and fram filters in it. lol
Argh... fail post, I was looking for average length of a maintenance guide, out of curiosity, not average how long my truck will last...

I know this, I was commenting that it was strange that a car that routinely sees 200k-300k miles would only have a guide up to 120k. just listed the cars above because I thought they were interesting

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Dork
9/12/11 9:02 p.m.
CLynn85 wrote: Ok, so apparently my sarcasm didn't come through very well.

My bad, I don't have the sarcasm drivers loaded. They interfere with things, ya know?

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/12/11 9:23 p.m.

My pontiac Vibe (toyota) says to just repeat the 60-120K service cycle (I think this is the values, it says to repeat some indefinately)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tdDlA13EnRk8RPUQ5W745Tou7GzfGmGNsWlDZwnvLifDZ6cF1BPYjxs0gjASOd19