1 2 3 4 ... 7
wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/5/15 2:24 p.m.

The car is black and an 89 so it can't be an ae.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/5/15 2:54 p.m.

Still a tII is not an every day car. They may be one of those cars that are at the bottom of there depreciation curve and in 5-7 years we are all going to be regretting not getting one.

dean1484
7/5/15 2:54 p.m.

FIX IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/5/15 4:10 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: Still a tII is not an every day car. They may be one of those cars that are at the bottom of there depreciation curve and in 5-7 years we are all going to be regretting not getting one.

I thought the bottom was a few years ago when the drift guys bought all the cheap ones up and destroyed them.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
7/5/15 4:40 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: FIX IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would love to, but it's not my car, or my decision. This repair is above my pay grade as well.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
7/7/15 7:22 a.m.

Owner finally got back to me, but didn't say much. Said he was digesting the information and would call me. I have no idea what he wants to do.

Chris

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
7/7/15 9:11 a.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: Hey guys, 1989 RX-7 Turbo II, original owner, 50k miles, and otherwise clean, and good running car. Belongs to my friend who asked me to do some repairs on the rear brakes, and figure out why the power steering is leaking. I found this today when I decided I had some time to look it over. I sent him a text asking what he wants to do, but in my opinion it require tons of professional repair. What do you guys think? Is it repairable? If so would you do it, or just try to find a clean chassis, and swap all the good parts from this onto it? FYI it is the drivers side front frame rail, and extends from the firewall to the bumper mount. Very busy area with all that attaches there. Thanks, Chris

Since the picture is kind of scary and non-descriptive of the larger area, I went on a search for a better view.

Based on this picture from the inside of the engine compartment, it should not bee too hard of a job for someone who does this kind of work. The options are to fab a repair section or graft one in off a donor. I would graft it in. Its a days job once the engine is out of the way. So figure a day to yank the engine, a day to do the work and a day to put it all together. At $75 shop rate you have $1800 plus materials into the project.

I cant see a chassis swap as being a better path unless we want to talk resale value down the road.

Knurled
7/7/15 12:25 p.m.

Should not need to remove the engine to get access.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
7/7/15 12:41 p.m.

But you will have to drop the suspension and cross member out of the way.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/7/15 12:47 p.m.

I'm from the South. We would run away screaming from something like that. I had an 04 F150 that only spent 2 years on the edge of a rust belt state. The cab corners started rotting. I took it for an estimate and he started at $5k. When I didn't balk and seemed interested, it jumped immediately to $8500, maybe more.

Life is too short for rust.

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
7/7/15 1:56 p.m.
Knurled wrote: Should not need to remove the engine to get access.

You go right ahead. Me, I yank the engine if I have to cut out that frame rail and fab a new chunk! My best welding is when I am comfortable and close-up to the subject matter. Plus I need room for a clean cut of the rotted bit, room to measure and a place to put my beer down.

Then there are these nutbars that can TIG weld behind stuff while using a mirror to see observe the weld.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjwyiZheugw

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
7/7/15 3:00 p.m.

There has been a 91 or so RX-7 Vert on CL for a month or so now semi local. It is a rolling chassis and allegedly from CA. Seller wants $1500, but I doubt he will get it. Maybe it is worth grabbing, and swapping the Turbo engine into. That way you have a TII convertible. It has been done plenty, and should be pretty cool. If it were my car that is what I would do. Or possibly buy my friend Brad's 91 vert that has been hit light in the drivers side front, and get the frame straightened/hang new sheetmetal/bumper from this car, and get it sprayed to match. Then I could decide whether I want to put the turbo engine in, or use the turbo engine in my REPU. Heck I could buy both the rolling chassis, and Brad's vert, and make two verts. But alas I have no money, and the TII isn't mine.

Knurled
7/7/15 4:35 p.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: But you will have to drop the suspension and cross member out of the way.

That is monumentally easier to do if you leave the engine in the car.

I did the engine in my car in a driveway with no cherrypicker. I had the subframe/rack out in maybe 15 minutes, engine hanging by a 2x4 and a ratchet strap.

Dropping the engine and trans out the bottom took a bit longer ...

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
7/8/15 5:17 p.m.

Still nothing from the owner. Should I just drive it to his house, and let him deal with it?

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/8/15 5:18 p.m.

In reply to Mazdax605:

You could just drive it to my house and let me deal with it.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/8/15 9:24 p.m.

In Michigan thats called "minor rust". Fix it. If he doensn't want the car, someone around here will surely buy it.

ssswitch
ssswitch Reader
7/8/15 11:17 p.m.

It seems fixable, the problem is just trying to figure out a fair price for the amount of headache you're going to make learning to fix it for him.

Worst case, send me some extra convertible springs please. I want to make a gently lifted tintop FC.

monsterbronco
monsterbronco Reader
7/9/15 9:00 a.m.

re-clipping the front is easy. putting in a new frame rail wont be difficult for someone who knows what they are doing.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
7/10/15 5:52 a.m.

Still radio silence from the owner.

wvumtnbkr
7/10/15 6:59 a.m.

I'll give 1000$ for it as is....

dean1484
7/10/15 8:45 a.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: Still nothing from the owner. Should I just drive it to his house, and let him deal with it?

I would call again and yes I would return it to the owner. There are legal issues regarding "keeping" the car.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
7/10/15 9:38 a.m.

Oh I am not keeping the car unless I'm buying it, and getting a title. I don't mind holding it for him, but a decision to sell it to me, or figuring out where he wants to get it fixed(even if it's by me) needs to be made at some point real soon.

wvumtnbkr
7/10/15 12:50 p.m.

I see you are playing hardball... $1125.00

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
7/10/15 2:14 p.m.

Lol!!!

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
7/14/15 1:10 p.m.

The owner of the car came by today to have a look at the rust in person. He is worried that it can't be fixed, but took some pictures of it, and is going to talk to a friend that has a welding shop that repairs frames. He wants to ask him if he can/wants to repair it. If he says no he wanted no part in swapping the good parts from his car to another chassis like I suggested, and said he would rather just give the car to me at that point. Later on he asked me if I were interested in the car if he decided not to get it fixed, and I said of course I am. Hopefully he can get it repaired as I saw the heartbreak in his face when he saw the rust. It has been his baby for the past 26 years, but he understands that there are larger problems in the world. He still has his 69 GTX to play with.

1 2 3 4 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RW96V2yKjRBLKiiPdU9kCVxgCm2ve6OmDGy85bwXcg9SZ0MkuN2pzWout4UTkRxh