1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/14/15 1:20 p.m.

$1150.00.....

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
7/14/15 1:23 p.m.

You're cracking me up here wvumtnbkr! Not sure about your negotiating style, but I give you points for creativity.

wvumtnbkr
7/14/15 1:34 p.m.

You drive a hard bargain...

$1200.00....

Most difficult negotiation I have ever been a part of.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
7/14/15 1:46 p.m.

$1,201.00

wvumtnbkr
7/14/15 2:29 p.m.

Damnit. Now there is a bidding war...

I just want the drivetrain and the interior and the exterior. YOu guys can have everything else.

$1215.00

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/14/15 2:56 p.m.

$1250 and I won't butcher it like wvumtnbkr wants to.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
7/14/15 4:30 p.m.

I got some more pics of it today:

This is the only other spot I see that is rusty on the chassis:

Up close shot of the sway bar mount:

Looking from passengers side toward drivers side frame rail near bumper area:

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
7/14/15 4:47 p.m.

I have a good 87 Sport chassis waiting for the drivetrain

wvumtnbkr
7/14/15 4:49 p.m.
EvanB wrote: $1250 and I won't butcher it like wvumtnbkr wants to.

I'm not butchering it! I want it all complete!

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/14/15 10:20 p.m.

I have two RX-7 chassis sitting in my driveway that would benefit greatly from the donations this car can make.

$1276.34

Or, I have a cleaner S4 TII chassis that will be a pain to title in NC (I have the title, it never got notarized) that can be used as a donor in a state with less draconian policies regarding title transfer.

It's black, even. For the right price, I'll even leave the 5 speed and clutch differential in there.

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
7/15/15 8:46 a.m.

"As is" the car is worth scrap weight on the market

As "parts" I find that I get about $1500 out of the stuff I have parted; lot of work and you have to deal with lots of people.

If you pay a shop, I believe you are going to end up upside down in a car that has no upside.

As a DIY project, this can be done economically if your time is free.The rear chassis rust is a bad sign. Let this one go.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
7/15/15 11:38 a.m.

I really want the car if he decides to not get it repaired. I have no idea exactly what direction I would take it, or even what I'm willing to spend to get it. It seems that something could be done with it regarding parting, repairing, re-bodying the car. I don't want to see it going to a salvage yard, that's for sure. Heck the driveline would look nice in my REPU!

The thing is I know the decision won't come soon from the owner as he told me he was headed up north to go fishing for the week and would talk to the repair shop next week. So it's at least a week before he even talks to anyone about fixing it and then he needs to make a decision on what to do after that depending on the repair shop. Maybe I can make it a challenge car next year. I have always wanted to do the challenge.

Chris

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
8/10/15 2:23 p.m.

The owner of the RX-7 is coming to get it on Wednesday to bring it to a local welding shop who says they can weld in some square tubing. Good luck I say. I'm not doubting they can do it, but it won't be easy in my opinion.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
8/12/15 8:52 p.m.

Owner brought the car to a shop today and they told him it's repairable, but not easily or cheap. He doesn't want to repair it. I'm not sure what his plans are, but it's back in my back yard.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
8/14/15 8:24 p.m.

The owner says he is going to let the RX-7 go, and would like it to go to me. No idea on a price yet, or even what would be the best direction to take it. Heck I don't even know if I can afford anything with the specter of a possible strike looming over my employment. I did see an 87 or 88 TII rolling chassis on CL today in CT that may work, but I haven't seen it in person. Seller says it's all primed and ready for paint but its hard to tell from pics on CL how clean it really is. Allegedly has 35k mile son it as well.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
8/16/15 7:30 p.m.

Could I combine this?:

http://newlondon.craigslist.org/cto/5147486377.html

With the rotted 89 TII, and build a cool ass car? Also I really like the body molding, and bumper son the 89+ models,and I was wondering if I could use the doors from the 87 CL car (no mouse belts) with the 89 molding, and body aero? Also depending on how much I get the 89 TII for is it possible to combine for a challenge car? CL car is $1k asking price.

wvumtnbkr
8/16/15 9:08 p.m.

That should be sub 1k IMHO.

You don't need a turbo shell. I can't think of any chassis parts that are turbo specific.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
8/17/15 2:44 p.m.

CL rx7 has the wiring harness removed and it isn't available. I would most likely have to use the 89 harness anyway to make the 89 motor work (or megasquirt) anyway. Looks like a full tear down of the 89 which I was thinking anyway if I got it. Lots of work, but all stuff I can handle. I don't like body work and paint, but I can handle most anything else. Am I crazy to want to resurrect this 89 somehow?

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
8/17/15 3:42 p.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: Am I crazy to want to resurrect this 89 somehow?

That is a rhetorical question right?

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
8/17/15 4:02 p.m.

About the engine harness (and I've melded S4/S5 harnesses before) the main difference is the S5 harness has the wiring for the electronic OMP. The S4 doesn't. The ECU plugs are completely different S4/S5, there's no way to make them work with the wrong ECU.

I don't think Megasquirt will run the electronic OMP, the last I heard it would not and there was no simple way to add that capability. You can either run the earlier mechanical OMP, just have to swap front covers, or run premix.

The pickup wiring for the crank sensor is 'flipped' but otherwise even 98% of the color codes are the same.

The S4/S5 N/A harnesses are also useable, the difference is they don't have the wiring for the knock sensor but that's easily added.

The turbo harness has provisions for the boost control solenoid on both S4 and S5. Again the N/A harness doesn't have this but it's easily added.

The S5 N/A harness also provides for the 'short runner' valve's pressure solenoid. S4 doesn't, again easily added.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
6/14/16 8:53 p.m.

So more than a year after he dropped the car off at my house I asked him again today what his intentions for the car were. He called me back later in the day and said he wanted to sell it to me. Said make me an offer. I asked if he had a ballpark idea, and he said he didn't. I told him I didn't want to offend him with too low an offer. What would you guys offer for a good running, low miles, one owner car with a rotted frame?

Chris

NGTD
NGTD UltraDork
6/14/16 8:56 p.m.

$500

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/14/16 9:10 p.m.

That ain't rotted, that's a spot repair needed.

Clean FB prices seem to be in the $4k range nowadays, so $1201.25?

Edit: I seriously would find $1200 to give to you for to purchase this vehicle if you were to sell it.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
6/14/16 9:11 p.m.

This is an FC.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/14/16 9:12 p.m.

In reply to Mazdax605:

And therefore not worth as much as an FB, which is of course not worth as much as an SA, the most perfect of RX-7s

"Clean FB" implies you still need to make new wheelwells for it since they ALL rot out thanks to a rust shelf Mazda designed into the chassis...

1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PHQjYbpkXZRVeXUYBGuPZwYykRwV67vUpT7kWMOQVRr9dvbA0Ao2lKPJsm7CvhMo