1 ... 4 5 6 7
NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
7/6/17 8:35 a.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: Hey guys, for the challenge does the cost of sales tax, and any other state fees for a vehicle count toward the budget? I ask because I had to pay sales (six and a quarter percent)tax on $4750 book value of the RX-7 even though I paid a lot less than that for the car. That plus $75 to get the title in my name is all I have in it so far. Can I only recoup the cost of the purchase, or the fair market value? Or is what I paid the fair market value? I'm confused because the MA DMV says it's worth a whole lot more than the reality of my purchase price, and there is no disputing that with the DMV.

We have the same gubmit scam here in Ontario. The only way around it is an appraisal, and those guys want $175 to do one. Last time I went to the dealer and said that I was considering a new car and asked for an appraisal on mine. That worked like a charm.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/6/17 9:21 a.m.
challenge rules said: Costs to pick up your hooptie from the seller are exempt. Title fees and so on, in case you bothered, are exempt. Shipping counts toward parts prices. Sales tax does not.
Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
7/6/17 3:58 p.m.

Okay, so I believe I just found the broadcast, or build sheet for the car amongst the paperwork. It is in really good condition too. If I knew of some other way aside from photo bucket to link pics I would show you guys. I tried looking up rx7 broadcast sheets, but didn't find much results. Maybe I'm not using the right term?

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/6/17 9:05 p.m.

The problem you are going to have with the chalege $$$$ is was the deal/price you got the car for available to everyone. If not and you paid much less than what fair market value for the car. You really should be using the fair market number as you chalenge price starting point. What mass DMV said it is worth is irelivant.

I will give you an example

My truck I got for free. When I registered it mass said value was over 8k. Fair market value on Craig's list considering millage and the problems it had was much closer to 3.5k. So for the purposes of the chalege it is a 3.5k vehical (and not eligible). Was the free deal available to everyone on my truck? Kinda. I asked first as it was going to the junk yard in a week. But it was from a friend so I kind of would say no and it is valued at 3.5k.

Same goes. For your T2. What is the price you would expect it to go for an Craig's list? If this is significantly more than what you paid for it you should be using the CL number. The only way around this is if you can produce an add for the vehical at the price you paid for it proving anyone had an opertunity to get it.

The rule is there to prevent you from selling me that car for say $500 and then you and I make a chalenge team and build the car with $1500 remaining in the budget. Make sense?

Ohhh I forgot to call in the frame rail I will either call or just stop by the place tomorow and see what is up.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
7/6/17 9:06 p.m.

I'm attempting to post pics here through Amazon. It doesn't seem to work like PB, but hopefully it works.

Rot1

Rot2

Rot3

Build sheet

Clean up

Interior

Window sticker

dean1484
7/6/17 9:29 p.m.

Got them all but the window sticker.

dean1484
7/6/17 9:41 p.m.

So passenger side needs replacement frame rail for the firewall forward and repair to the back section of the drivers side. All doable for me anyway. Non of that scares me. I would like to put a borescope in the framerails to make sure that it is localized and the rails don't need complete replacement. That. Is not a deal breaker. I have done it to another car that had frount rail damage from a crash.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
7/6/17 9:42 p.m.

Only drivers side has rot.

dean1484
7/6/17 9:49 p.m.

Ohh that makes it easier. I may know of a crashed FC. I think it was a passinger side hit I will see about that car as well. That one I can flip on it's lid and take the rail off with s drill and an air chisel. I have to email the owner and see if he still has it.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
7/7/17 8:20 a.m.

Dean, I sent you a pm.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
7/9/17 10:39 p.m.

Hmmm...

Parts RX-7

Too much dough, but maybe cutting the frame rail out of it, and grafting into mine could be possible? Would have to be half the asking price or less though.

dean1484
7/9/17 11:20 p.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: Dean, I sent you a pm.

Got it did you get my answer?

dean1484
7/9/17 11:21 p.m.

I found a 89 vert with a parts car for 1500. I have contacted the seller about the parts car a possibly sellin the frame rail out of it. I hope to hear back tomorow as the seller was on vacation coming back today.

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
7/10/17 9:13 a.m.

In reply to Mazdax605:

If you end up with another turbo 89-92 FC for parts let me know. I'll help amortize the cost by taking the engine and trans off your hands.

Good luck with this one.

dean1484
7/10/17 4:46 p.m.

Chris you get my email re the parts car?

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
3/13/18 9:40 p.m.

Might be time to part this old gal out. Swung home briefly during the winter storm today to fire up the generator for my wife and kids. While home I noticed some branches and such had come down. Ventured to teh back yard a little, and noticed a good sized pine bow had hit the TII. Roof looks buckled, and door frame is bent down pretty far as well as the door glass shattered. Snow all in the interior. Put a pice of cardboard over the window half-assed to stop more snow from getting in. Been at work since, so no idea exactly how bad it is just yet.

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
3/13/18 11:59 p.m.

Aw that sucks. I hope you can recover it and continue on.

If you do part out I'll be happy to come and get the engine/trans/ecu

imgon
imgon Reader
3/14/18 9:05 a.m.

That blows, I bet you could get some decent money for that interior. Many of the body parts probably saleable as well. Maybe just sell as a parts car minus the drivetrain. Time for a T11 REPU? 

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/14/18 11:37 a.m.

If you end up parting it, I may have interest in the diff/half shafts/stub axles/ect. 

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
3/19/18 9:52 a.m.

Definitely gonna part it out. Look for a thread soon. Would like to sell the engine/trans/ECU as a package.

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
3/19/18 11:33 a.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

When you're ready let me know what you want for them as I need all of them and need to run it by SWMBO. I'm willing to travel for known working.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
3/19/18 11:35 a.m.

I'm getting numbers all over the place for what it's worth. It is a documented 50k mile engine. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/19/18 12:09 p.m.

50K engine with good compression numbers and a shaftplay free turbo could fetch 1 to 2K (especially if it the week before racewars).

Trans go anywhere from $200 to $500 if known good working order.

Wiring / ecu / sensors....  I would have to take a guess and say $150 to $400 depending on condition.

For the record, I took 2 years to build my turbo drivetrain.  I waited for smoking deals.  I got an engine for $500 with manifolds and turbo, a trans for $150, and all teh wiring and sensors for $200 (pieced together).  That is the absolute cheapest I could imagine.  I had to drive all over the state and deal with several different sellers.  There is definitely value in buying all of the parts from a known running and driving car from a reputable member of our society.

If I was doing it all over again, I would just send you a check for $2000 and call it good (assuming you had compression numbers).  Sell the rearend seperately.

Just my 2 cents.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
3/19/18 12:17 p.m.

My friend tells me that you find jdm turbo engines on eBay with questionable history selling (asking) close to $3k so I really don't know what to ask. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/19/18 2:55 p.m.

So, I just went ppplllbbbbbbb  that's not right.  

Lemme check the googles and ebay motors to see what these TII engines are really going for these days....

HOLEE berkeley!

Uh, prices have risen in the last few years.

A decent Jspec engine was about $1400 tops back in the day...

I would pay more for this engine than one of the imported engines.  I know people have had issues with the ecu's when put in a US car for some reason.  I bet there is a solution to that issue now.

1 ... 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DZddOTwWwCNUhMH2G1E5vuCVIqbwhaEGC1TLfUEYTze5wZlKltc3N7WKpdCC8bkc