DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
10/15/14 7:22 p.m.

Of course after the wheels weights are moved or would you nix this setup all together? Especially for autox and track use?

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
10/15/14 7:26 p.m.

Self-clearancing?

unk577
unk577 Reader
10/15/14 7:47 p.m.

It'll be fine. I've ran/run wheels where the weights couldn't be in line with the caliper. Just don't bend the wheel and you'll be fine

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
10/15/14 7:47 p.m.

I'm asking a legit question. With taking off the weights does anyone think that's too close or if it is plenty of space?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
10/15/14 7:54 p.m.

Take it out and lean on it. If the weights come off, it was too close. You aren't likely to break anything unless those are steel weights. If they are lead, let it rub.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Dork
10/15/14 7:55 p.m.

Without the weights, yes I would use the wheels.

Paul B

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
10/15/14 7:57 p.m.

Can you measure the clearance? My non-scientific completely untrained opinion says that if it's an eighth of an inch, or more, your good to go.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
10/15/14 8:03 p.m.

weights are coming off regardless. I have a buyer for the wheels but if GRM is right then these bad boys are staying in the garage.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
10/15/14 8:12 p.m.

If it clears with the weights on there, I would have no worries about clearance once you remove them.

kb58
kb58 Dork
10/15/14 8:13 p.m.

I had something similar - the problem is if and when pebbles get jammed between the wheel and caliper. If that happens you'll end up with a nicely machined groove around the inside of the wheel... I did.

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
10/15/14 8:15 p.m.

They make thinner tapeweights. And put a layer of thin aluminum HVAC duct tape over them.

(140+ mph sports racer w/ big brakes and 13" wheels will learn you all about keeping the wheel weights on)

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
10/15/14 8:59 p.m.

I would run them without worry.

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/15/14 10:12 p.m.

How much weight is on there? That looks like a lot of lead.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
10/15/14 11:42 p.m.

Why not just move the weight inboard a bit more. Its takes a TON of power to warp a properly made wheel with a tire to match and I doubt you have the HP to do it. Anything more then 1/8th inch and it will be fine.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/16/14 8:34 a.m.

Should be fine without the weights, and you should be able to move them inboard.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
10/16/14 9:46 a.m.

Some homers at a Honda dealer in south Florida did the balancing. I asked for tape weights and that's what I got lol. Ive got access to better facilities now.

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
10/16/14 9:52 a.m.

..and thank you for buying a Subaru.

Leafy
Leafy Reader
10/16/14 11:54 a.m.

probably ok on aluminum wheels. My steelies for the subaru dont touch when standing still but they've rubbed all the paint off the wheels and calipers when driving and make some interesting noises the first drive after surface rust forms on the wheels where theres no paint.

Cone_Junkie
Cone_Junkie SuperDork
10/16/14 11:59 a.m.

Would rock those without a second thought. If the wheel flexes enough to make those rub, then you have the wrong wheels for the track.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/16/14 1:20 p.m.

It's not flex that'll ruin your day with that setup, it's debris...or maybe thermal expansion.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/16/14 6:52 p.m.
Cone_Junkie wrote: Would rock those without a second thought. If the wheel flexes enough to make those rub, then you have the wrong wheels for the track.

The hub, bearing, and upright will all flex too. It all adds up.

That said, there are some OE cars with as much (heh) clearance, and you don't hear about Dodge Stratuses encountering shrieking fiery death. Well not because of the wheels, anyway.

And then there's Warren Elliot's Evo. (there's, what, six national rallycross championships won with it in the past four years? at least two years it won in PA and MA/M4) You probably couldn't fit a piece of paper between his Wilwood calipers and the wheels, and the wheels show strong evidence of self-clearancing.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
10/17/14 8:59 a.m.

Thanks for all the input guys. I was on the fence about a new car. But with a prego wife and one year old doing the haggling we got a great deal. We now have two white scoobies....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rmRqRGDs7NysNrOnONJl7TJKP81QDSzBIAWleyfFLnUaWCas6oVu0hxXwGjQSNqq