1 2
RossD
RossD HalfDork
8/11/09 9:45 a.m.

From a viral email: "Powered by a 12V92 Detroit diesel. Heck of a stump puller. Cool Peterbilt!"

Discuss.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla HalfDork
8/11/09 9:52 a.m.

Wow.... I want to drive it

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/11/09 9:52 a.m.

6V92's are dog's requiring massive maintenance. The Coast Guard had to supercharge AND turbocharge them to get any useful power. A N/A 12V92 is probably a pretty poor performer for the size/weight. Looks cool.

Kramer
Kramer Reader
8/11/09 10:13 a.m.
P71 wrote: 6V92's are dog's requiring massive maintenance. The Coast Guard had to supercharge AND turbocharge them to get any useful power. A N/A 12V92 is probably a pretty poor performer for the size/weight. Looks cool.

Every 2-stroke Detroit is supercharged and many are turbocharged. The supercharger (nee blower) isn't for power. It's for normal operation.

Ever wonder why superchargers are rated such as 6-71 or 8-71? Because that's the Detroit Diesel engine that it originated on.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/11/09 10:23 a.m.

I see the blowers in the pic finally. They look tiny when they're chromed.

RossD
RossD HalfDork
8/11/09 10:39 a.m.

The rear suspension is unique. (At least to me)

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
8/11/09 11:37 a.m.

I like it

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/11/09 1:20 p.m.
Kramer wrote: Ever wonder why superchargers are rated such as 6-71 or 8-71? Because that's the Detroit Diesel engine that it originated on.

Cool, I did not know that.

As for why American's don't "get" diesel cars....

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/11/09 2:43 p.m.

ugh.. the olds diesel... friend's father had them as company cars.. every 50K... blown headgasket

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Reader
8/11/09 4:03 p.m.

Actually, as long as you dont mind driving it like you stole it, Detroit 2 strokes make a ton of power, are cheap to run, and the sound cant be beat.

JoeyM
JoeyM New Reader
8/11/09 5:46 p.m.

that looks like Randy Grubb's vehicle. It sounds nice

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/video_player.shtml?vid=1136500

mad_machine
8/11/09 5:56 p.m.

I had no clue the peterbuilts were two stroke diesels.. is that why they sound so smooooooth?

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade New Reader
8/11/09 6:46 p.m.

love the sound the transmission makes. It even sounds like an old Bus.

DrBoost
DrBoost HalfDork
8/11/09 7:45 p.m.
JoeyM wrote: that looks like Randy Grubb's vehicle. It sounds nice http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/video_player.shtml?vid=1136500

Cummon Jay, can't you afford to give us a video without making us watch a priceline commercial?

JoeyM
JoeyM New Reader
8/11/09 8:02 p.m.
DrBoost wrote: Cummon Jay, can't you afford to give us a video without making us watch a priceline commercial?

Not his fault....all the content is hosted by Leno's boss, NBC. It seems like the network could better target the ads, though, and make them automotive. There are a few ad-free build pics of the project at the blastolene site.

mad_machine
8/11/09 8:26 p.m.

he has to make money somewhere... Jay is many many things.. a smart businessman being one of them

JmfnB
JmfnB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/12/09 7:04 a.m.

I loved the Olds diesels...

We rebuilt my Hurst Olds 350 using all of the block and crank from one. Ran great until I squirted it with one too many shots of n2o.

dlmater
dlmater GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/12/09 10:01 a.m.

Not a car, but I always liked the Monster Garage diesel trike. The link I had for it on Discovery no longer works. But the one below will give you an idea.

Trike

slefain
slefain Dork
8/12/09 10:17 a.m.

Old 2-stroke diesels with the pump turned up will blow flames out the stacks at speed.

Kramer
Kramer Reader
8/12/09 10:52 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: I had no clue the peterbuilts were two stroke diesels.. is that why they sound so smooooooth?

Not all Petes are 2 strokes--just the Jimmy Diesel (GM Diesel, or Detroit Diesel) equipped trucks. In the past, you could get any engine in any truck. Now (or at least very soon), you can only get a Detroit Diesel in a Freightliner (or other Mercedes-owned) truck. Your Volvo or Mack only comes with a Mack-built motor. You won't even be able to get a Cat engine in an OTR truck by 2010.

Of course there are a few instances where this isn't exactly the case, but for the most part, the truck manufacturers have aligned with the engine builders.

Detroit Diesel 2-strokes have a strong power band across their narrow RPM range. They're especially effective where torque requirements quickly change, such as when a generator immediately kicks on. The power strokes (which happen twice as often as in a four stroke) prevent the engine from bogging down.

Emissions are dirty, though, as the blower often blows unspent fuel out of the exhaust. Like what Sleifan said, get it hot enough, and you'll get a good flame show.

If you're a real motorhead (like most of us are), google how a Detroit Diesel 2-stroke works. It's so simple, it's cool.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/12/09 2:43 p.m.
Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
8/12/09 3:02 p.m.
Kramer wrote: Not all Petes are 2 strokes--just the Jimmy Diesel (GM Diesel, or Detroit Diesel) equipped trucks. In the past, you could get any engine in any truck. Now (or at least very soon), you can only get a Detroit Diesel in a Freightliner (or other Mercedes-owned) truck. Your Volvo or Mack only comes with a Mack-built motor. You won't even be able to get a Cat engine in an OTR truck by 2010.

Not really. In the past, you could get most engines in most trucks. Some companies have slimmed down their engine offerings drastically, International and Volvo/Mack do this a lot more than the other guys. Peterbilt, Kenworth, and Freightliner/Western Star use lots of engines. For example, in current 50-state Freightliner chassis you can get Detroit Diesel, Mercedes-Benz, Caterpillar, and Cummins engines. Paccar offers Paccar, Cummins, and Caterpillar engines. Cat's getting out of the on-road stuff, so of course they're going away next year but Cummins is still in the engine business without being (or being owned by) a truck manufacturer.

Bryce

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Dork
8/12/09 6:48 p.m.

I want a Delta 88 so bad to put airbags, 20s, and LSx into for a cruiser. I just want to be a G, that's all.

I'm sure that thing is a brast to drive, diesel power is pretty interesting on a hotrod as well.

bamalama
bamalama Reader
8/12/09 10:06 p.m.
DoctorBlade wrote: love the sound the transmission makes. It even sounds like an old Bus.

Holy crap, do I see a 70 Catalina there?

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/13/09 1:48 a.m.

Here is a 12 cyl detroit for your listening pleasure. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmytwZnXgjM&feature=related

DoctorBlade wrote: love the sound the transmission makes. It even sounds like an old Bus.

Most buses were powered by Detroit two strokes into the late 80's. The superchargers we needed because as two strokes there was no intake stroke to fill the cylinders so the supercharger was there to force air into the engine. When I started at the bus company we still had a few of them left. I tried to get one every night. I liked the sound of them echoing off the buildings.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kcyPzayaips27Eu6AfTZWHqLHGeIOfkhIZs3OQVgiyAGs62JwPolwYi4jDdUeyJ0