1 2
amaff
amaff HalfDork
2/26/09 11:20 p.m.

I voted Rick Astley also, just because I thought it'd be hilarious, but yes, Serenity FTW!

Coupefan
Coupefan New Reader
2/27/09 9:31 a.m.
neon4891 wrote: Thankfully the SciFi geeks have kept the name away from something "Star..." based. Side note, I still feel that Serenity was the best SciFi movie of '05. Much bettery story and space sceens than SW Ep.3

It wasn't just a movie. It was a short lived series called Firefly. A Josh Whedon production. Excellent writing and characterization. Not the typical one brain celled production that comes out of Hollywood these days.

Osterizer
Osterizer HalfDork
3/5/09 9:14 p.m.

Update: http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/220492/march-03-2009/name-the-nasa-module-after-stephen

Not even the 'chan can compete with THAT voting block.

Coupefan wrote: It wasn't just a movie. It was a short lived series called Firefly. A Josh Whedon production. Excellent writing and characterization. Not the typical one brain celled production that comes out of Hollywood these days.

That's Joss Whedon to you, you band wagoner!

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 HalfDork
3/5/09 9:19 p.m.

berkeleyin' a---but it states only 194 thousand have submitted a name your own...hmmm

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
3/5/09 10:44 p.m.
Coupefan wrote:
neon4891 wrote: Thankfully the SciFi geeks have kept the name away from something "Star..." based. Side note, I still feel that Serenity was the best SciFi movie of '05. Much bettery story and space sceens than SW Ep.3
It wasn't just a movie. It was a short lived series called Firefly. A Josh Whedon production. Excellent writing and characterization. Not the typical one brain celled production that comes out of Hollywood these days.

i know, I have both series and movie on DVD. the only thing i like better is SG1

ultraclyde
ultraclyde New Reader
3/6/09 3:40 p.m.

4chan.....wow, I always learn so much on this forum...er /b/...er whatever.

glad to know there are other geeks racing cars, as if I had a doubt.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
3/6/09 10:26 p.m.

the only thing bigger than 4chan is Colbert Nation. Stephen Colbert mobilized his fans to rename the node "Colbert"...apparently it is working.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/23/09 11:59 p.m.

And the winner is, COLBERT

WASHINGTON (AP) -- NASA's online contest to name a new room at the international space station went awry. Comedian Stephen Colbert won. The name "Colbert" beat out NASA's four suggested options in the space agency's effort to have the public help name the addition. The new room will be launched later this year. NASA's mistake was allowing write-ins. Colbert urged viewers of his Comedy Central show, "The Colbert Report" to write in his name. And they complied, with 230,539 votes. That clobbered Serenity, one of the NASA choices, by more than 40,000 votes. Nearly 1.2 million votes were cast by the time the contest ended Friday. NASA reserves the right to choose an appropriate name. Agency spokesman John Yembrick said NASA will decide in April, but will give top vote-getters "the most consideration."
EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/24/09 12:05 a.m.

That is awesome, I didn't think Colbert would actually come out ahead.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/24/09 12:07 a.m.

It's going to be named "Serenity". NASA already said they reserve the right to not honor the winner.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Dork
3/24/09 9:38 a.m.

Colbert is a tool

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/24/09 9:46 a.m.

Maybe, but I don't see anyone naming a space station after you

fastEddie
fastEddie Dork
3/24/09 10:07 a.m.

I dunno, "DirtyBird" has a nice Node-name ring to it.

[astronaut] Guys, I'm going to go check on the status of Experiment 42 over in the Dirty Bird [/astronaut]

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/24/09 10:47 a.m.
P71 wrote: It's going to be named "Serenity". NASA already said they reserve the right to not honor the winner.

and give Colbert material for some BS diatribe that his "followers" can eat up and beat NASA over the head with. Those of you who choose to watch that tool, know that I'm right.

fastEddie
fastEddie Dork
3/24/09 2:39 p.m.

You can't make this stuff up!

NASA might name toilet for Stephen Colbert: Space agency doesn't want to flush away good will following online poll

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29863574/

MSNBC said: As it became clear that "Colbert" was likely to win the popular vote, NASA insiders told SPACE.com, agency personnel floated the idea of naming the station's new toilet "Colbert." "As for the toilet rumor, we don't want to flush away any goodwill by announcing something before we are ready," Yembrick said.
fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/24/09 3:28 p.m.

Wow, there are some quick folks over there after all. I'm impressed!

PaulY
PaulY New Reader
3/24/09 5:24 p.m.

Ha, i see it more like he's doing it because he can. Sometimes it seems like he's way more serious about something than he really is. Some people just take it all too seriously. Colbert rocks and NASA is lame if they don't honor the contest. Serenity is lame.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/24/09 5:36 p.m.

well, I voted for Serenty...

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
3/24/09 5:47 p.m.

this ranks up there with his presidential bid, maybe he can get doritos to sponser a law suit to fight nasa if they disregard the contest.

Luke
Luke Dork
3/24/09 5:54 p.m.

He should just be happy with the space toilet. That's still pretty darn cool.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Dork
3/24/09 6:51 p.m.

well Rick berkeleying Astley is left out, can he at least get the tampon trash receptacle?

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Dork
3/24/09 6:52 p.m.
Luke wrote: He should just be happy with the space toilet. That's still pretty darn cool.

I can see this turning into "Hey do you know where the 'Colbert' is? I had a 7-11 chilly dog and reallllly gotta go."

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
3/24/09 10:15 p.m.

If NASA doesn't name it Colbert, they don't have a hair on their ass.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4KxqNvAbFZgFeBFwg5MZTHvh4DDKo6qG416x6seDoTBJlKCnKytGIKwmUKGQGILg