1 2
Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
7/10/08 3:37 p.m.

Project Cars: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/1996-dodge-neon-acr/

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/1996-dodge-neon-acr/

John Brown

JINX, YOU OWE ME A BEER.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
7/10/08 6:05 p.m.

Thanks Tim, we had to set up the whatchamahoozies to reflect that it's a different year.

NYG went to its new owner this evening....he brought me enough parts to make the ACR run. Just need a gasket set and an oil pan.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS New Reader
7/10/08 10:05 p.m.

With the demand for fuel friendly cars, the new Chrysler boys should seriously consider bringing the Neon back.

cafcwest
cafcwest HalfDork
7/11/08 12:03 p.m.
TIGMOTORSPORTS wrote: With the demand for fuel friendly cars, the new Chrysler boys should seriously consider bringing the Neon back.

The second gen cars weren't really that good in the MPG department. I can only imagine how bad the 'Caliber' is in that department.

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
7/11/08 1:39 p.m.

The caliber gets sub-30 on new standards, 32 on old. 2nd gens got 32 new and 36 old. All figures are highway.

My theory on the caliber is that dodge took the PT and just wraped that in a distinctly dodge body style. If any one can correct me on this, please do.

As for what is going on in the minds of chrysler big wigs, I don't want to know. Actually, this would make a good thread on its own.

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
7/11/08 1:45 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: My theory on the caliber is that dodge took the PT and just wraped that in a distinctly dodgy body style. If any one can correct me on this, please do.

Ok. I did.

Per Schroeder
7/11/08 1:48 p.m.

Since I now have enough parts to build a 2.0, it's going to get that for now...with some hot cams/exhaust/intake/etc.

In rallycross terms, that steps me up from RPF to M2. Meh.

Per

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
7/11/08 1:52 p.m.

^thanks^

John Brown
7/11/08 2:39 p.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: In rallycross terms, that steps me up from RPF to M2. Meh.

Details, details. I am firm in my belief that you would whoop ass in M2 as easily as you can in RPF.

Per Schroeder
7/11/08 2:50 p.m.

Yea, around here, we're running for top honors anyway...I wound up 3rd OA at a recent Rallycross with the old atx Neon on bald tires.

John Brown
7/11/08 3:08 p.m.

Since the 2.4L swap would have landed you in the same class I wonder what the cammed up version of a 2.4L would do... I have the 2.4L now and since I will have an ACR coupe (toy) and a DOHC sedan (driver) in my possession in a week or so I think that we should find out. Gunning for 2009 in the Detroit region ;)

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/11/08 3:13 p.m.

Actually the Caliber is a completely new body/chassis (remember AWD is available on some models) and I believe the engine is all new as well. Too bad it looks like the same old crap in an uglier body.

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
7/11/08 3:20 p.m.

iirc, the caliber shares its underpinnings with the jeep compass/liberty. which are all crap, btw

had a compass rental in san diego that had some 4cyl and a cvt automatic. it literally sounded like it was going to rattle apart at anything over 1/4 throttle. seriously the worst engine sound i've ever heard,

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/11/08 6:13 p.m.

Caliber on Wiki (Don't tell Hess)

So, the Caliber is based on the Mitsu GS platform (similar to the Mitsu Lancer), with a Nissan CVT as an option and an engine that is shared with Mitsu, Dodge and Hyundai.

I'm just sorry that they used this thing to reintroduce Chrysler to China and Australia. Woof!

Sounds like way too many people had input into this thing to not notice that it was pug-fugly? Then they spun it off to Jeep? I still do not understand that.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA Dork
7/12/08 5:48 p.m.

That they promoted the Caliber as the "replacement" for the Neon has always kinda bugged me; there is no real comparison to the original concept. Of course it also bugged me that when they came out with the 2nd gen Neon in 2000, they did away with the twincam and the coupe; that was the death nell of the model, IMO.

Per Schroeder
7/14/08 9:06 a.m.

I actually like the second gen Neon as a car..just wish it was available as a twin cam coupe....

This weekend, Tom, Greg and I went junkyard shopping for new interior parts for the ACR. The stock pieces were spray painted red, then silver then back to the stock grey. I swear, Neons should have been marketed by Playskool as "My First Kar"

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Reader
7/14/08 2:04 p.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: I swear, Neons should have been marketed by Playskool as "Yo!! My First Kar yo!!1!1!"

Fixed.

Nashco
Nashco Dork
7/14/08 2:26 p.m.

Our Achieva SCX used for the LeMons race had a similarly horrible interior paint story. The gray interior had been spray painted red and yellow, we think that perhaps a previous owner worked at McDonald's and was brainwashed, that's the only reasonable explanation.

Bryce

Per Schroeder
7/14/08 2:37 p.m.

We saw a cloud car in the junkyard yesterday where certain elements of the interior (vents, window cranks, etc) were spray painted bright metallic blue (the car was burgundy)

except

Nothing was removed from the car or masked off.

Yes, it was that bad.

Even a car going to a junkyard doesn't deserve that.

Nashco
Nashco Dork
7/14/08 2:50 p.m.

Makes you wonder what kind of person does something like that...AND thinks it looks cool. There are some odd ducks out there!

Bryce

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OgcivtIHQdrOdOUalIZQih9flWOlRdojVFoHSnImFW3AEFgqTZd6qqr9O86CYCzC