1 2 3 4 5 ... 12
AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
7/1/19 8:57 p.m.

Don’t they have more important issues to tackle like homeless persons or violent crimes?  Oh yah, those don’t generate revenue for the ruling class.....

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
7/1/19 9:05 p.m.

I once was casually thinking about Petersburg Va to buy an empty lot.

I swear on the city website it mentioned something about taxing tools in the household which I thought was absurd as of course they'd have to come in to check - hell no!

But now that I think about it wouldn't that be a better way to raise revenue?

That is ultimately what this is all about.  Or did I read too much into an article from the SacBee about the govt.employee/boomers starting to flood the retirement system this past few years.  Nobody is that uptight about men doing masculine things like fixing things that are broken.  Or at least trying. 

Is that allowed anymore?  indecision

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/1/19 9:08 p.m.

In reply to nutherjrfan :

Nope- we have to pay a guy to do it now. 

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
7/1/19 9:33 p.m.
AnthonyGS said:

Don’t they have more important issues to tackle like homeless persons or violent crimes?  Oh yah, those don’t generate revenue for the ruling class.....

Actually, they both do. With the advent of the ACA, homeless persons on no income can qualify for state-run Medicaid insurance. The ruling class have non-profit shelters, support centers, and counseling providers that accept that insurance and bill accordingly. Usually there is little to no real effort made to change the homeless' systemic problems (unemployment, medical issues including mental health, and substance usage) so they become a "revolving door" of regular clients. Live in the shelter for a year (where the state and the feds pay the "non-profit" to house the people, per person, per night), "relapse" and spend 31 days on the street, stay in the shelter for a year. While "engaged in services" the "non-profit" will provide a mental health counselor (billable up to 11.99 hours/month), a peer support counselor (same), and open up assistance with supportive housing (billable at 11.99 hours/month, plus they collect a sweet $1500 grant for the "move in expenses" to place them, usually at slumlord apartments owned by members of the board of directors or their friends) and supportive employment (billable at 11.99 hours/month, plus a sweet "signing bonus" paid directly to the company when they inevitably get "placed" at a temp agency owned by, you guessed it, a member of the BOD). The kicker? They get to double the services if the "client" is addicted to a substance! That's right, a whole second claim for SUD counseling and SUD peer support! So a jobless, homeless person with no income can cost the state Medicaid system 71.94 hours per month (usually paid at a rate of about $55 per hour, so about $3956.70) plus the grants and the housing costs.

Violent crimes? Yup, there's a scam from the elite on that one, too. The criminals are usually the work crews being used on municipal projects, charging the municipalities the "prevailing wage", yet "reimbursing" the prisoners at less than Federal minimum wage. There's more layers to this one, too, but I'm not as deeply ingrained in that system to know all of the intricacies.

I can say with complete certainty, that the average person is getting fleeced constantly. Don't even get me started on the VA...

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
7/1/19 9:33 p.m.
Mndsm said:

I would like to know what counts as "tools not found in a normal residence". I know good and goddamn well half the people here have enough tools to make the average mechanic shop jealous. I mean, plasma cutter? Welder? 5 axis? What's the line? 

I'm betting air compressor.

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
7/1/19 9:55 p.m.

Regressive fee structure only bothers the non-rich. You can choose to take it impersonally but you are still targeted. Might want to move somewhere with less class warfare. 

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy HalfDork
7/1/19 10:30 p.m.

In reply to nimblemotorsports :

From my experience, no it is not illegal to work on you car, in your garage or driveway

 Unless you live in one of those, h.o.a,s

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
7/1/19 10:33 p.m.
Javelin said:
AnthonyGS said:

Don’t they have more important issues to tackle like homeless persons or violent crimes?  Oh yah, those don’t generate revenue for the ruling class.....

Actually, they both do. With the advent of the ACA, homeless persons on no income can qualify for state-run Medicaid insurance. The ruling class have non-profit shelters, support centers, and counseling providers that accept that insurance and bill accordingly. Usually there is little to no real effort made to change the homeless' systemic problems (unemployment, medical issues including mental health, and substance usage) so they become a "revolving door" of regular clients. Live in the shelter for a year (where the state and the feds pay the "non-profit" to house the people, per person, per night), "relapse" and spend 31 days on the street, stay in the shelter for a year. While "engaged in services" the "non-profit" will provide a mental health counselor (billable up to 11.99 hours/month), a peer support counselor (same), and open up assistance with supportive housing (billable at 11.99 hours/month, plus they collect a sweet $1500 grant for the "move in expenses" to place them, usually at slumlord apartments owned by members of the board of directors or their friends) and supportive employment (billable at 11.99 hours/month, plus a sweet "signing bonus" paid directly to the company when they inevitably get "placed" at a temp agency owned by, you guessed it, a member of the BOD). The kicker? They get to double the services if the "client" is addicted to a substance! That's right, a whole second claim for SUD counseling and SUD peer support! So a jobless, homeless person with no income can cost the state Medicaid system 71.94 hours per month (usually paid at a rate of about $55 per hour, so about $3956.70) plus the grants and the housing costs.

Violent crimes? Yup, there's a scam from the elite on that one, too. The criminals are usually the work crews being used on municipal projects, charging the municipalities the "prevailing wage", yet "reimbursing" the prisoners at less than Federal minimum wage. There's more layers to this one, too, but I'm not as deeply ingrained in that system to know all of the intricacies.

I can say with complete certainty, that the average person is getting fleeced constantly. Don't even get me started on the VA...

Image result for that escalated quickly

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
7/1/19 10:39 p.m.

I do find it interesting that a Google search on this topic brings up nothing. This thread appears to be the only discussion on the topic on the first three pages of search results. So maybe if you want the law changed, you should make some wider-reaching publications aware of it. hell, send it to Jay Leno. He has lots of cars and lots of money ;)

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
7/1/19 10:55 p.m.

In reply to irish44j :

Meh, it pays the bills. And when the BOD has the politicians ears you can't really expect anything to come of uncovering it.

I'd have way, way, way bigger fish to fry with the corruption within the VA and the Federal government as a whole, but I also don't think that would find any traction, either.

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
7/1/19 11:20 p.m.

In reply to irish44j :

It has been all over FB for a few weeks now.

 

nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports New Reader
7/1/19 11:52 p.m.

They say you can't fight city hall,  I am not one to spend a lot of money in a losing battle what will not change anything.

The law needs to be changed, it is overly broad and totally selectively enforced, which has precedent for not being legal, but obviously they get away with it.

This applies to all code enforcement really because they only do something if someone complains. 

btw, last few weeks kids in the neighborhood have been riding their two-stroke  dirt bikes all over, you know how much noise those make.

The house next door has a fenced area with dozens of cars,

look like some commercial vans maybe.  There are two houses with dozens of old cars in the front yard on the street somewhat hidden by trees .

Seeing this I was not worried about code enforcement, the property was also full of junk already, one of which is a 67 Triumph GT6 :)

When I talked with the neighbor he was nasty and talked how the previous owner 'ruined' the house, how it was full of 'migrant workers',  etc,

not a single nice thing to say about anything as much as I tried to lighten up the conversation.

 

I am going to have my wife call the enforcement officer, as she has a very diplomatic way of talking with people (years of customer service experience in her past),

and get some questions answered.

 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
7/2/19 6:47 a.m.

In reply to nimblemotorsports :

Dang, that’s a crappy situation to be in.  I wish you great success on this journey.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
7/2/19 7:03 a.m.

Can't you file 'freedom of information' requests to see if there even was a snitch?

I don't recommend vengeance even whilst I do consider myself a little Old Testament I know enough that forgiveness is healthier.

And not just one 'F.O.I.'  As many as you humanly can.  Whilst technically harassment I don't think you're gonna find too many detractors.

File 'F.O.I.s' for everything you can dream of not just this issue.

I believe it's a serious option.  If it was enough to chase one politician out of office it might work again.

In the meantime just make sure you're in total compliance regardless of previous status.

As to siccing code enforcement on the other neighbors you're just doing the man's job for him.

Lashing out doesn't help you.  You have no idea what he went through before you got there. Read Victor Davis Hanson if needs must.

I'll agree with Irish for once.  This should've started in Off-Topic.  Maybe a move? smiley

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
7/2/19 7:42 a.m.

In reply to nutherjrfan :

its FOIA and there is a catch that the government can bill you for the amount of time it takes to gather the records requested.  at least thats how it works in the Fed world. I dont even know how to applies to county governments though. 

Shadeux
Shadeux New Reader
7/2/19 8:20 a.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Me too! You have to define the parameters of a law. "Just 'cause we feel like it" won't fly in front of a judge. Of course, fighting this takes time & money. 

I would contact local auto parts stores. Kind of puts a kink into their monetary stream. 

 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/2/19 8:37 a.m.

In reply to Shadeux :

You might be on to something with that. Assuming it is actually illegal to work on a car in Sacramento county as your own mechanic- I would think that there would have to be some sort of disclaimer when selling things that are obviously used for such endeavours- Floor jacks and air compressors and you know- tools not found in the typical home garage. Couple that with the fact that auto parts stores generally sell you know- auto parts.... If they're not checking for proper licensure to operate a torque wrench, it could be a bad time. Reminds me of the wisconsin firework clause. Years ago- you could only buy certain fireworks in wisconsin- if you were from wisconsin. Now if you were from say, minnesota, they'd sell you whatever the hell you want, as long as you sign a thing that says you promise not to transport them across state lines. (Which we all signed, and immediately ran for the border. ) I'd think something similar would apply here. 

No Time
No Time Dork
7/2/19 8:52 a.m.
nimblemotorsports said:

umm, I have not been left alone, they levied a $430 fine yesterday.  You can request a hearing to review the code enforcement decision, that costs $700 to complain.

There are neighbors with +$1 million dollar houses

I may have missed it in the thread...

What did they say you were doing that led to the fine?

What were you actually doing (if different from what they said)?

Im just curious how accurate they were in their assessment of your activity  

 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
7/2/19 9:19 a.m.
Alfaromeoguy said:

In reply to nimblemotorsports :

From my experience, no it is not illegal to work on you car, in your garage or driveway

 Unless you live in one of those, h.o.a,s

Did you see that he linked to the relevant code earlier? On the Sacramento County website:

http://www.code-enforcement.saccounty.net/Programs/Pages/AutoRepair.aspx

Not much ambiguity there. You might be getting away with it, but that doesn't mean it's not against code.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/2/19 9:20 a.m.

In reply to _ :

Whenever I find poop in my front yard, I always put it out in the street.

GarageGorilla
GarageGorilla New Reader
7/2/19 9:28 a.m.
RacetruckRon said:

Reason #857 why not to live in California.

AGREED.

This is just California Values on display.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
7/2/19 9:34 a.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Oh I get it.  And as a vet I know the VA too.  I gladly use my current health insurance before going to a VA hospital.  But everyone thinks VA quality gov’t healthcare is a right......

Prisons are also a huge source of income for the ruling class.  With drug convictions for marijuana being voted obsolete, what will they do to keep their prisons full?

When the ruling class starts to make laws about me owning tools, I start to think I’ve lived a long life and have other tools I may need to bring to the party.

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
7/2/19 10:20 a.m.
Mndsm said:

In reply to Shadeux :

You might be on to something with that. Assuming it is actually illegal to work on a car in Sacramento county as your own mechanic- I would think that there would have to be some sort of disclaimer when selling things that are obviously used for such endeavours- Floor jacks and air compressors and you know- tools not found in the typical home garage. Couple that with the fact that auto parts stores generally sell you know- auto parts.... If they're not checking for proper licensure to operate a torque wrench, it could be a bad time. 

I'd think Harbor Freight would have something to say about this too, and their HQ is in CA. 

Hoondavan
Hoondavan Reader
7/2/19 11:06 a.m.

Wow, that's restrictive...even for the People's Republic of California.  I don't think I actually saw what you actually did to receive the citation, but if you did violate it...I'd pay the fine and start the process of changing the ordinance.  Get to know your county government.  Find the names of your county commissioners (likely their staff is a better place to start).  Print out the code and go meet with the staff and ask for recommendations on who might be favorable to supporting a change in the ordinance (and who wouldn't).  

Better yet, see if you can get on the development board/counsel and be a part of the problem!  http://www.sccob.saccounty.net/Pages/BoardsandCommissions.aspx  There are a few openings.  OK, civics lesson over.

I suppose you could hand them a list of 500 neighbors with garages and accuse them all of violating the code and see how that plays out. You could consider driving around and spend a few hours documenting all of people violating this code.  I don't know if it'd make a difference, but if the code is widely ignored, maybe there's an argument about selective enforcement?

My county restricts "major repairs" unless performed in a fully enclosed structure. They also didn't define "major repairs" anywhere that I can find.   I did make sure my vehicle was registered & insured (required) and I've also respected the noise ordinance (no power tools in the evening).  

Hoondavan
Hoondavan Reader
7/2/19 11:08 a.m.

I was half-expecting the pamphlet to say a bunch of things that weren't actually in the code...but I was wrong.  This language is surprisingly restrictive.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 12

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
ghW3Tq9g1c60fKT3YgRLEtez0Hu7iltzh3ZileUBzG2XTIVBoN1H5rdgF8eDV66u