1 2 3 ... 12
nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports New Reader
7/1/19 1:24 p.m.

http://www.code-enforcement.saccounty.net/Programs/Pages/AutoRepair.aspx

Code Enforcement  $430 fine, and it gets worse, much much worse.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/1/19 1:31 p.m.

I'd just have everything be called a "minor tuneup". Hell, on certain vehicles an engine swap could be considered a minor tuneup. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
7/1/19 1:36 p.m.

My guess is 

A)  Some people were running repair shops out of their garages and their neighbors got pissed.

B)  If you are a car guy and doing relatively normal car guy things, you'll be left alone.  Also you can close your garage door and nobody can see what you are doing.

In before angry anti HOA/rules people.

nimblemotorsports
7/1/19 1:53 p.m.

umm, I have not been left alone, they levied a $430 fine yesterday.  You can request a hearing to review the code enforcement decision, that costs $700 to complain.

There are neighbors with +$1 million dollar houses

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
7/1/19 1:55 p.m.

The text from the link above.  What kind of repair work were you doing that they levied the fine?

Auto Repair

Page Content

1. What is Minor Automotive Repair?

2. Is Minor Vehicle Repair Permitted at Residences?

3. What is Major Automotive Repair?

4. Is Major Automotive Repair Permitted at Residences?

5. Why is Code Enforcement Concerned About Residential Automotive Repair?

1. What is Minor Automotive Repair?

• Brake part replacement
    • Minor tune-ups
    • Change of oil and filter
    • Repair of flat tires
    • Lubrication
    • Other similar operations
      (See section 5.2.0.B of the Zoning Code)

2. Is Minor Vehicle Repair Permitted at Residences?

Yes. However, it is unlawful for any person to engage in, or permit others to engage in, minor vehicle repair or maintenance in any agricultural, agricultural-residential, residential, interim estate and interim residential zones under any of the following circumstances:

1. Using tools not normally found in a residence;

2. Conducted on vehicles registered to persons, not currently residing on the lot or parcel;

3. Conducted outside a fully enclosed garage and resulting in any vehicle being inoperable for a period in excess of twenty-four hours.

3. What is Major Automotive Repair?

Any vehicle repair or maintenance other than “minor vehicle repair” to include any body or painting work of vehicles or vehicle parts operations.

4. Is Major Automotive Repair Permitted at Residences?

No. It is unlawful for any person to engage in, or permit others to engage in, major repair or maintenance of vehicles in any agricultural, agricultural-residential, residential, interim agricultural holding, interim estate or interim residential zones.

5. Why is Code Enforcement Concerned About Residential Automotive Repair?

The chemicals involved in major automobile repair can pollute our neighborhoods and endanger the health and wellbeing of our residents. Furthermore, this kind of activity increases vehicle traffic and the visual impact can negatively impact property values.​

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/1/19 2:00 p.m.

Are you that guy with parts cars up and down the street in the middle of suburbia?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/1/19 2:00 p.m.

To me, the rules seem to boil down to easiest to get busted if...

1. You have an outside car that is not movable for 24 hrs.  This likely means on jack stands for more than 24 hrs.  

2. You are working on vehicles that are not registered to the address.  This is likely to reduce that "for profit" operations in the neighborhood like running a CL ad that you will do brake jobs for $100 at your house.  

Seems that all answers should be, "lubrication."  

Q: why do you have the driveshaft out of this truck?

A: lubrication of the universal joints.

However, it seems that you need to get the vehicle back to the appearance of working in 24 hrs.  

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia HalfDork
7/1/19 2:02 p.m.

Riverside county came over to my friends place with photos from a plane saying he could not have non running cars in his yard , 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/1/19 2:07 p.m.

Move 6 minutes up the road to placer County?

Rodan
Rodan Dork
7/1/19 2:08 p.m.

These kinds of codes are much more common than you would think... go look them up in your own jurisdiction, you might be surprised at what's illegal.  I live in a rural county in AZ...  8000 square miles and around 250k people.  Our County code looks very similar to the above...

For now, you might get "left alone", but closing a garage door doesn't make it legal, and all it takes is one pissy neighbor to bring down the bureaucracy on your head.

What exactly are "tools not normally found in a residence"?  I'm pretty sure 8 out of 10 of my neighbors don't own a torque wrench... 

What exactly is a "minor tune up"?  In a historical sense, that term doesn't even really apply to modern cars.

And, as noted above, the cost of defending yourself can quickly spiral out of most people's reach.

This is a big problem for the hobby, and we should probably start thinking about it.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/1/19 2:10 p.m.

Reason #857 why not to live in California.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/1/19 2:12 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

Riverside county came over to my friends place with photos from a plane saying he could not have non running cars in his yard ,

Finally, a use for camo tarps!

nimblemotorsports
7/1/19 2:13 p.m.

This is a 20 acre parcel, the barn area is not visible from the street. 

It is whisper quiet out here, there is no noise whatsoever normally.   

They don't have to provide any evidence whatsoever to charge you in violation.

Apparently having  'tools' not common to a household is sufficient to charge you with doing Major Automotive Repairs.

I have a car lift, however, it is not installed, it is sitting on the ground.

I am pretty certain it is one neighbor, I talked to him before, he was a totally unfriendly jerk.  

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
7/1/19 2:13 p.m.

I don't understand how they know to begin with?  When I working on a car in my garage, nobody can see because I am in my garage

nimblemotorsports said:

umm, I have not been left alone, they levied a $430 fine yesterday.  You can request a hearing to review the code enforcement decision, that costs $700 to complain.

It costs $700 to review the complaint?

nimblemotorsports
7/1/19 2:18 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

I don't understand how they know to begin with?  When I working on a car in my garage, nobody can see because I am in my garage

nimblemotorsports said:

It costs $700 to review the complaint?

It costs $700 to essentially appeal the code enforcement officers decision that you have violated the code.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/1/19 2:30 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

Here in OKC, you aren't even allowed to park RUNNING vehicles in your yard for any period of time.

But then there is a guy down the street with a circle drive that has 9-11 cars parked in his driveway looking like a used car lot. Tarp over a couple of them because the windows in the door don't roll up, etc. 

nimblemotorsports
7/1/19 2:31 p.m.

But here is the real kicker.  To correct the code violation, I am supposed to 'cease doing Major Automotive Repairs'.   

How  do you prove that you are NOT doing something that you never did in the first place?

I have a shop in the city where I do my work, so far.  but now?

I am going to start doing major automotive repair immediately and make as much noise as possible,

starting with running a leaf blower all day long every day because that is not a code violation.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
7/1/19 2:41 p.m.

Step 1: Completely disassemble the car.

Step 2: "Construct" instead of "repair" the car.

nimblemotorsports
7/1/19 2:43 p.m.

YOU can call it whatever you want, it is the CODE ENFORCEMENT OFFICIAL opinion that matters.

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
7/1/19 2:44 p.m.

Do your neighbors like insanely loud music? Time to find out.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
7/1/19 2:44 p.m.

In reply to nimblemotorsports :

Put the Code Enforcement Official's car on jack stands every night?

Dave M
Dave M Reader
7/1/19 2:49 p.m.

Like most problems in our country these days, they are only solved with the liberal application of money and attorneys.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
7/1/19 2:50 p.m.
RacetruckRon said:

Reason #857 why not to live in California.

This is not a situation unique to California. Not even remotely.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
7/1/19 2:51 p.m.
nimblemotorsports said:

But here is the real kicker.  To correct the code violation, I am supposed to 'cease doing Major Automotive Repairs'.   

How  do you prove that you are NOT doing something that you never did in the first place?

I have a shop in the city where I do my work, so far.  but now?

I'd guess you're going to have to let them come and "inspect" your property... which doesn't feel right, since it seems like it's setting you up to let them find some other code infraction.

Shouldn't you be able to present the rent/lease agreement in the city as proof that you're conducting "major repairs" at an "approved location" ?

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
7/1/19 3:01 p.m.

Take up antique siren restoration.

The ordinance seems to be aimed at semi-commercial operations in residential areas. Unfortunately it's over broad allowing for discretionary enforcement.

You might want to get on the horn with SEMA, or someone with more resources than you, to start a challenge. Owning tools isn't a crime and code enforcement can't demand access to your property/garage without going through the proper channels. That should limit their discretion to levy the fine to  major repair being in plain sight.

1 2 3 ... 12

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
W1NfaOgRutQzevNgtjs4qRLjR3u3yeLYg6KJ3tYFFKRDcaOtWKb7t51OoWGdG4Gf