accordionfolder
accordionfolder HalfDork
6/7/16 4:11 p.m.

Well mostly.

Video

Funny what a Miata with open headers sounds like. I was just trying to confirm the wiring mess I had made could potentially still run and it fired up after grounding the fuel pump.

It dies after a few seconds, but temp sensor isn't hooked in, it's running open headers, and many, many other details that need looked after. The dash doesn't seem to do anything right now, trying to figure out what's up with that before I start bolting things in.

calteg
calteg Dork
6/7/16 4:40 p.m.

Congratulations! That wiring loom gives me anxiety though.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder HalfDork
6/7/16 4:51 p.m.
calteg wrote: ... That wiring loom gives me anxiety though.

Me too! I was terrified it wasn't going to start.

I'm getting ready to pull the airbag wiring and some other "unimportant" wiring out of the middle and re-wrap it. Hence why I wanted it running and checks that it still runs while working.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
6/7/16 9:00 p.m.

I like the way that sounds

Zeitgeist
Zeitgeist Reader
6/7/16 9:11 p.m.

Congrats. It is a great feeling. I was disappointed when mine didn't start as I thought I missed a ground or screwed up the wiring. It was joy when I found a bad ignition switch though. Can't wait to see it further. Do you have a build thread or MEV board membership?

Rodan
Rodan New Reader
6/7/16 11:00 p.m.

Congrats!

I'd really like to build an Exocet at some point...

I'm in the middle of 'pruning' the harness in my track Miata, and there's a LOT of wiring for the airbag...

Note that the pic doesn't include a lot of the underhood wiring for the sensors, the control boxes, or under dash sensors.

einy
einy Reader
6/8/16 8:49 a.m.

Miata open header sound - when I first started mine - was pretty cool. Funny thing though, when I took mine for the first run down my street, then backed it up into my driveway, (while wife was filming this), I could have sworn my engine had a terrible rod knock when listening to the video after the fact. Turned out it was just the sound reflection off of the car / street / etc. due to the open header. Sure had me scared for a couple of days, though, until I repeated the run with the exhaust installed and "no more knock" !!!

accordionfolder
accordionfolder HalfDork
6/14/16 1:28 p.m.

lol, yeah it didn't sound happy about it's current state.

You can tell I was surprised it kicked over, I didn't even have the garage door open.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
M4z9NSXqs7fNRK2umZbzjP6rFwoXSg8jIzaeF4Wv0VF5gxEyhYVNnlKskwNXhMrG