1 2
Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
5/11/21 10:32 a.m.

...WAY better use of name recognition than puking 'Mustang' all over the Mach E.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
5/11/21 10:38 a.m.

Better than the new Porsche "turbos"

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/11/21 10:48 a.m.

Not as bad as "Q-something, anything" like all the Infinitis

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
5/11/21 10:52 a.m.

Agree that it's a natural, except that they're again recycling a name. Really? Have we completely exhausted the English language for car model names?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/11/21 10:53 a.m.

I was hoping for The Shocker.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/11/21 10:54 a.m.

In reply to kb58 :

I think the burden is that the car companies have to defend the names. Ford is already paying to defend the Lightning name so no real added cost. Similar with Mustang and Mach. 

Ford did not defend and retain ownership of GT40 and that is why their recent super car is named The GT

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/11/21 10:57 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Oh, I bet you're hoping for the shocker. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/11/21 11:21 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

2 in the pink.

1 in the stink. 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltimaDork
5/11/21 11:21 a.m.

Why use a cool name like Lightning that you already own when you could call it the Sparky, or the Zap, or the BZZZZZT, or...

Yeah, ok, I guess Lightning makes sense after all....

Seriously though, this and the Rivian squarely have my attention. I suspect by the time I am thinking about replacing ol' Blue in a few years that one of those two will be a strong possibility. 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/11/21 11:23 a.m.

In reply to kb58 :

They have equity and a pre-established good will in the Lightning branding. It would be silly to start over.

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
5/11/21 11:28 a.m.

Plus, the Lightning was already an F-150 variant, so they're not even re-using the name all that badly. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/11/21 11:29 a.m.

If the first Dodge EV (in about 2035, based on current progress) is not called a Charger I will be very disappointed. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/11/21 11:37 a.m.

Form a performance, heritage perspective, I'm sure the lowliest EV F-150 will be faster than anything else in the F-150 line up.  

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
5/11/21 11:43 a.m.
ultraclyde said:

Why use a cool name like Lightning that you already own when you could call it the Sparky, or the Zap...

I'm guessing they want to get as far away from the Zap Xebra electric truck as possible.

(Image source)

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/11/21 11:54 a.m.

If they do an F150 based van that's an EV so that it has space for 7 would it become the ride the lightning. 

Maybe if it fails crash testing it will kill'em all. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
5/11/21 12:17 p.m.

Please make a radically fast single cab. Ford.

If your going to do it, do it right. 

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
5/11/21 12:58 p.m.

E-150 would have been less confusing and lets be honest who gives two E36 M3s about van enthusiasts.

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/11/21 1:00 p.m.
John Welsh said:

In reply to kb58 :

I think the burden is that the car companies have to defend the names. Ford is already paying to defend the Lightning name so no real added cost. Similar with Mustang and Mach. 

Ford did not defend and retain ownership of GT40 and that is why their recent super car is named The GT

This is the answer. And the sheer amount of research they have to do to use a new name and trademark it. It's the prime reason that many new cars are just numbers and letters. 

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/11/21 2:13 p.m.

I liked Zaptor . . . not mine.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
5/11/21 2:42 p.m.

Perfect name ,   not fancy , not hip , but easy to remember

and it still will have the F-150 

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
5/11/21 2:51 p.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to John Welsh :

2 in the pink.

1 in the stink. 

There are KIDS reading this forum! Or atleast grown ass adults with child like levels of intelligence/function.........

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
5/11/21 2:53 p.m.

I like "Fritz"

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
5/11/21 2:55 p.m.

So we can expect the Model A and T names to return, on entry-level commuters.

I'm just being difficult, like that needs any explanation...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/11/21 3:40 p.m.
Olemiss540 said:
Appleseed said:

In reply to John Welsh :

2 in the pink.

1 in the stink. 

There are KIDS reading this forum! Or atleast grown ass adults with child like levels of intelligence/function.........

I guarantee those same kids have heard 1000% worse/nastier/disgusting things on the playground by age 10. Minimum 1000%.

rodknock
rodknock Reader
5/11/21 3:42 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

If the first Dodge EV (in about 2035, based on current progress) is not called a Charger I will be very disappointed. 

If it's not called a Charger and not still based on the LX platform I will be doubly disappointed. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2pVhfKA7w4fxS0TGq8h02LLXmROT7WIgy7xx3MJqdE1Fh164NONqHMd4EJC8pqaC