1 2
Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/3/17 8:03 a.m.

It is a toggle or can you vary the pressure applied to the rear brakes?  Can we have a normal, nondescript parking brake with a setting to make it do the same thing?

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
11/3/17 9:22 a.m.
NickD said:
Driven5 said:
itsarebuild said:

Aaaaaannnnd why is this being put in a street car?

The same could (should?) just as easily be asked of anything being put in street cars that makes them excel at drag, autox, or track days.

Yeah. Why do you need 350hp and all-wheel drive in a Focus? The speed limit is only 55mph/65mph/70mph

The same reason people buy corvettes to go autocrossing...

NickD
NickD SuperDork
11/3/17 9:53 a.m.
Apple Cougar Mellonseed said:
ZombyCougar Woofencamp said:by
dculberson said:
z31maniac said:

And once you use it they will pull the ECU and tell you any drivetrain claims are denied.

Nah this isn't Nissan we're talking about!

You really meant Subaru, right?

I think he means Mitsubishi.

Nah, he still means Ford. Remember, they put the cool line-lock thingy that lets you do big burnouts in Mustangs but if anything happens while you were using it you are SOL.

Matt B
Matt B UltraDork
11/3/17 9:57 a.m.
759NRNG said:

Will there be an increase of those so inclined to do the handbraky parallel  parking twostep ya think???

I see viral ytubes  at an iphone near you........

oak tree you're in my way

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/3/17 10:10 a.m.

There is a big difference between making a street car go fast or turn well and making a street car go sideways intentionally. Just saying

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/3/17 10:15 a.m.
Matt B said:
759NRNG said:

Will there be an increase of those so inclined to do the handbraky parallel  parking twostep ya think???

I see viral ytubes  at an iphone near you........

oak tree you're in my way

This will help Ford sell a lot more replacement wheels, suspension arms, uprights etc...it's incredibly difficult to get the amount of rotation right when doing this trick. If you do it next to a curb, you could easily smack it. Notice Ace actually doesn't end up very close to, or parallel with, the curb.

This is one of the tricks I like to practice whenever I'm finishing off a set of tires. Of course I use vehicle-safe obstacles, such as empty cardboard boxes.

Apple Cougar Mellonseed
Apple Cougar Mellonseed MegaDork
11/3/17 10:17 a.m.
itsarebuild said:

There is a big difference between making a street car go fast or turn well and making a street car go sideways intentionally. Just saying

Actually, it's a very thin line.

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
11/3/17 10:35 a.m.
itsarebuild said:

The only substantial difference is the slant of your personal bias.  Beyond that, any street car attributes that can only be both fully and legally exploited on closed courses is pretty much all just rationalizations.

For example: I have used the e-brake while driving a FWD car (what this is emulating for AWD cars) to save myself after driving 'too fast for conditions' on winterized roads...I have never once been in a situation where 650+hp would have done anything to help 'save' me.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/3/17 10:47 a.m.
NickD said:
ZombyCougar Woofencamp said:by
dculberson said:
z31maniac said:

And once you use it they will pull the ECU and tell you any drivetrain claims are denied.

Nah this isn't Nissan we're talking about!

You really meant Subaru, right?

I think he means Mitsubishi.

Nah, he still means Ford. Remember, they put the cool line-lock thingy that lets you do big burnouts in Mustangs but if anything happens while you were using it you are SOL.

Or how Ford is denying warranty coverage on Voodoo engines in the GT350s because people installed catch cans. 

Because it says to in the owners manual for track use. It's BS companies are allowed to get away with stuff like that.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing Dork
11/3/17 12:34 p.m.
Driven5 said:
itsarebuild said:

The only substantial difference is the slant of your personal bias.  Beyond that, any street car attributes that can only be both fully and legally exploited on closed courses is pretty much all just rationalizations.

For example: I have used the e-brake while driving a FWD car (what this is emulating for AWD cars) to save myself after driving 'too fast for conditions' on winterized roads...I have never once been in a situation where 650+hp would have done anything to help 'save' me.

I have been in a few situations where 250 to 400 hp  did help save me, when neither braking nor maneuvering were viable options  to prevent an imminent contact with one of millions of sheep/self-entitled/shiny-happy-person/blissfully un-aware drivers on the road. Or in other words, several "Our Blessed Lady of Acceleration, don't fail me now!" moments. laugh

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
11/3/17 12:57 p.m.

In reply to WildScotsRacing :

So you still somehow managed to 'accelerate to safety' without a line-lock, a sub-12 second 1/4 mile time, or a 200mph top speed?...Impressive.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing Dork
11/3/17 1:07 p.m.

In reply to Driven5 :

I know, right! Still, sometimes just a couple seconds of decent power, judiciously applied, can solve certain types traffic problems.

Apple Cougar Mellonseed
Apple Cougar Mellonseed MegaDork
11/3/17 1:19 p.m.
Driven5 said:

So you still somehow managed to 'accelerate to safety' without a line-lock, a sub-12 second 1/4 mile time, or a 200mph top speed?...Impressive.

But think of how much more escapeier he would have been with access to all of that.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
11/4/17 1:07 a.m.
z31maniac said:

Apparently it doesn't void the warranty. Shocking, right?

Recon1342
Recon1342 Reader
11/4/17 1:52 a.m.

“When in doubt, throttle out!”

More throttle=gooder in lots of situations...

kb58
kb58 Dork
11/4/17 1:25 p.m.

Video.

Shrug, driver made a decision. Decisions have consequences, whether driver wants it to be true or not. Conclusion either way: threat removed.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/4/17 1:47 p.m.

I'm kinda amazed at the backlash against Ford on this one.  In today's environment where lawyers, autonomous cars and ride-sharing have put our car-hobby at risk, we should be applauding a major manufacturer who is producing cars and accessories for enthusiasts.  Whether this is your "thing" or not, you have to give it to Ford for pushing things like this past the legal department, the NTSB and the Board of Directors.  You go Ford! 

ZombyCougar  Woofencamp
ZombyCougar Woofencamp PowerDork
11/4/17 2:28 p.m.

I think there's backlash because it's stupid.

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
11/4/17 3:50 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

No I've heard they already do this with drift mode. 

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
11/4/17 4:12 p.m.
Stefan said:

Since the RS has a standard handbrake lever, it appears this activates the brake lever warning switch and the USB reprogram alters the Drift mode to activate the rear brakes via the ABS whenever the warning switch is activated.

Count me as one who will not be buying one for his RS, but to each their own.

Yeah, me either.  I've never even activated the drift mode in my car, and probably never will.  I actually like my rear tires.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
11/4/17 7:10 p.m.
itsarebuild said:

Actually, it's a very thin line.

A 1" diameter line. It's called a berkeleying hand-brake.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uJ9cGPalJFdTA4SeSFqT0n5co9Gc5sYAXu5jKw88YDWNK7kQedkvHpgBHNWZtKmI