1 2 3 4
orphancars
orphancars Reader
3/15/12 4:44 p.m.

So I was surprised at the support that I have gotten from GRM for my Puma -- lots of votes on the reader's rides section and it was even in the magazine as Internet Hot Rod of the Month!

Well, the time has come to start getting the old girl ready for paint. I'm almost done taking the car completely apart so it can be media blasted (soda) back to bare 'glass. I'll fix any issues with the fiberglass, possibly fill in the sunroof, and then get it off to paint.

Trouble is -- what color to paint??? That is where you all come in! Some comments in the reader's ride section say to keep it green..........well, the kermit-the-frog green that is the current hue just isn't to my tastes. So I'm looking for suggestions. The only colors that are off the plate for now are:

yellow (my Fiero is yellow/black) white (boring) black (see white)....and a black car with a black interior in TX just won't work at all silver (hard to touch up)

And that's about it for the off-limits colors for now. See the pic below (I can include some other shots if folks want to see a different angle) -- if anyone is good with PS and wants to slap some virtual color on it, go for it!

Oh yeah -- bonus points for anyone coming up with a 2-tone type scheme -- I was thinking that it might be possible to paint the greenhouse in a color that would contrast with the rest of the body....

......aaaaand go!

mndsm
mndsm UberDork
3/15/12 4:47 p.m.

It's a very sexy ferrari-sh shape. I'm thinking if you follow the upper crease in white (I know I know) and do the greenhouse and maybe the hood in that, and drape the sides in a nice metallic red (I'm quite partial to Mazdas Velocity Red- Bonus points for using Crystal White Pearl- also from Mazda) it could look amazing. I would suggest black on top, but yeah, texas. Though, a red greenhouse with black accents....... HM.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/15/12 4:50 p.m.

BRG

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/15/12 4:52 p.m.

I love the car, but I would vote for something other than the current green. Not sure what, though. How about dark metallic gray?

orphancars
orphancars Reader
3/15/12 4:55 p.m.

@ MNDSM -- Some sort of black and red has been kicked around already! Thanks for the confirm

I might hate it later, but was thinking some sort of satin black for the greenhouse, deep red for the rest of the body.

@ mad_machine -- thx -- it's possible but I might be saving BRG for the TVR once it's ready to paint -- that one might be BRG or some type of french blue/grabber blue.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/15/12 4:58 p.m.

Gotta stay with green man, it really makes that car! Red will make you look like you're trying to clone a Ferrari. If you must change the color, keep it similar. I vote new Camaro Synergy Green:

Javelin
3/15/12 4:59 p.m.

PS - Say no to a two-tone on that car!!!

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker UltimaDork
3/15/12 5:00 p.m.

Cream-sickle orange with flat black in the headlight wells, door handles pulls, rear louvers and the entire face of the rear clip. Then a single wide stripe off-center from the front bumper up, over the roof.

I'm not sure what to do with the wheels but... they should not be shiney - maybe something magnesium with black accents period correct like Fuchs.

White meatballs on the doors and hood optional.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/15/12 5:20 p.m.
orphancars wrote: @ MNDSM -- Some sort of black and red has been kicked around already! Thanks for the confirm I might hate it later, but was thinking some sort of satin black for the greenhouse, deep red for the rest of the body. @ mad_machine -- thx -- it's possible but I might be saving BRG for the TVR once it's ready to paint -- that one might be BRG or some type of french blue/grabber blue.

if you must change the colour.. french blue or Skyblue might look good

orphancars
orphancars Reader
3/15/12 5:45 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Cream-sickle orange with flat black in the headlight wells, door handles pulls, rear louvers and the entire face of the rear clip. Then a single wide stripe off-center from the front bumper up, over the roof. I'm not sure what to do with the wheels but... they should not be shiney - maybe something magnesium with black accents period correct like Fuchs. White meatballs on the doors and hood optional.

You gotta show me a photoshop of that one, Sir!

But you are correct on one thing -- I have a set of Fuchs already for the car -- it's getting a swing to IRS conversion....using 944 trailing arms.

orphancars
orphancars Reader
3/15/12 5:46 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Gotta stay with green man, it really makes that car! Red will make you look like you're trying to clone a Ferrari. If you *must* change the color, keep it similar. I vote new Camaro Synergy Green:

I think that green looks good on a big car........not sure how it would look on the Puma. She's tiny -- like 1600 pounds tiny and about 42" tall.

orphancars
orphancars Reader
3/15/12 5:48 p.m.

........and if there are any PS ninjas (well, GIMP ninjas really) that can tell me how to quickly (easily?) change the color on the pic, well, y'all are welcome to help out here, too!

Javelin
3/15/12 5:51 p.m.

If you're sticking with Porsche stuff, how about Viper Green?

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Reader
3/15/12 5:57 p.m.

Gulf livery?

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/15/12 6:06 p.m.

Just say no to two tone.

How about a nice deep blue metallic?

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UltraDork
3/15/12 6:07 p.m.

How did I miss this car's introduction?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/15/12 6:11 p.m.

Don't know what color this one is, but it's a cool photo.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 SuperDork
3/15/12 7:28 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: BRG

That was my first thought as well. Would look nice.

A really good red would look nice too.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltraDork
3/15/12 7:33 p.m.

In reply to orphancars:

That'a a lot cooler than my Pumas.

orphancars
orphancars Reader
3/15/12 8:30 p.m.
Javelin wrote: If you're sticking with Porsche stuff, how about Viper Green?

You have my attention with that color!!

orphancars
orphancars Reader
3/15/12 8:32 p.m.
clutchsmoke wrote: Gulf livery?

Thought about it............I don't think it would look good on the car.

Related: I did think about the Martini colors........possible if I didn't want a white (well, mostly white in this case) car.......

I think I'm sticking to solid colors......

orphancars
orphancars Reader
3/15/12 8:35 p.m.
mblommel wrote: Just say no to two tone. How about a nice deep blue metallic?

I'd really like that car!

I'm not totally opposed to it, but not in love with it either -- one of the cars in the stable (Ms. Orphancars' Jetta Sportwagen) is close to this and I have an Xtreme Blazer in metallic blue. I'm trying to spread out the spectrum of colors across all the cars at rancho de orphancars

Great car/pic/color above tho......

orphancars
orphancars Reader
3/15/12 8:37 p.m.
fast_eddie_72 wrote:
mad_machine wrote: BRG
That was my first thought as well. Would look nice. A really good red would look nice too.

This may be the fallback -- anyone have colors/codes from a particular make/model/manufacturer they like or recommend?? I'm kinda colorblind when it comes to the darker hues. Dark red/brown/green all look the same to me and blue/purple could be interchangeable to me most of the time....

poopshovel
poopshovel PowerDork
3/15/12 8:47 p.m.

Personally, I think they're ugly cars. No offense. I like ugly cars. I'd go with white. It's "prototype-y." I know. You hate white. Reconsider it.

I could make up a bunch of nonsense about why it would look so good, but it just would.

Bright colors will lend themselves to the whole "kit-car" thing.

My $.02.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
3/15/12 9:41 p.m.

Not all whites are the same you know. My '70 mustang coupe in the creamy wimbelton white had tinges of pink, yellow, and sometimes even blue, depending on the lighting. I got lots of complments for that cars paint. A pearl metalic white be similar but even more dramatic. Ivory also looks sharp on some older cars too, its has a natural patina.

I'm not saying a white paint is best for your car, but don't completely dismiss it if you haven't considered the off white shades.

I do think that a fresh coat of an overly bright color would make it look like a kit-car.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NK2FAPr19Xvov1NwFvHLX79dRfqiD3SS7jBOFoNCIO2gGt2p5NS8WpiPAVXCSeup