1 2 3 4 ... 7
gofastbobby
gofastbobby Reader
12/7/13 9:30 p.m.
bmw88rider wrote: So My MR2 had the high end stereo, AC, Cruise, Turbo, ABS, and all of the power options except it was manual steering with cloth interior. I actually got a discount from the guy I bought it from because he didn't know and I said man, the power steering is going out on this and that electronic pump is really expensive to replace. Got $1200 off

That's odd with manual steering but otherwise loaded.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/7/13 9:39 p.m.

There seem to be a large number of no-options-but-P/S '84-85 RX-7 GSLs out there.

The GSL was the top model before the GSL-SE came out. The L originally stood for Leather, but it became an option rather than standard equipment.

But in '84, you could get power steering, but only on the GSL and GSL-SE models.

It seems like 90% of the GSLs had power steering while the -SE could go either way. I am thinking people were buying the cheapest model with power steering that they could get.

Perversely, the power steering had heavier steering feel than the manual steering models.

bastomatic
bastomatic SuperDork
12/7/13 9:48 p.m.

Bought an odd one used a couple years back off a dealer lot. 2006 Honda Element.

EX-P package - body color trim and plastic cladding.
All power options.
Full time 4 wheel drive.
Fog lights.
Cruise.
Premium stereo.

Manual transmission.

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
12/7/13 9:53 p.m.

My '01 BMW 525i touring:

• Manual trans.
  • Small sunroof.
  • Sport lowered suspension w/ self leveling.
  • 8x17" 2-piece style 5 wheels.
  • Simple 3-knob HVAC controls.
  • P. O. installed M5 F / M-Technic touring R bumper shells + trims.
gofastbobby
gofastbobby Reader
12/7/13 10:00 p.m.

oh, I thought of another one.

4cyl, 5spd, awd ford escape. 05 they had a 2.3, that gave it a little better pep than the 2.0.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
12/7/13 10:05 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
dj06482 wrote:
T.J. wrote: My first new car was a 1987 Camaro. It had a 305 and a 5 speed. No air conditioning. No power windows, locks or mirrors. The only option it had when it came home was 'radio delete'.
1LE?
Sure smells like 1LE. Although it WOULD have had "1LE" as an option, including the unicorn front brakes. Heck, I'd classify any manual trans 3rd-gen as having weird options... I've only seen TWO manual trans 3rd-gens... a V6 and a four cylinder. Yeah, some poor sod actually bought a 2.5 4-speed Camaro.

the 1LE didn't exist until something like 1990 when it was created for some Canadian road race series..

here's another oddball car that i had way back in the summer of 1995:

1968 Chevy Chevelle Nomad wagon.. 307/powerglide.. 4 wheel power drum brakes... black vinyl interior with a rubber floor mat instead of carpet.. AM radio... manual windows- except for the electric hatch window that was operated with a switch on the dash. paid $700 for it, and it got well over 20mpg the few times i had enough money to fill the tank.. a few months after getting it, i traded it for what i would later find out was a somewhat rare and valuable car- a 66 Impala SS 427 4 speed with factory 3.73 posi and no rust, but missing the engine- and a not so valuable 86 Dodge Charger to use as a daily beater.. sold the Impala for $400 a couple of months later and only found out years later how much a factory 4 speed 427 66 Impala SS is worth... oh well..

fujioko
fujioko Reader
12/7/13 11:34 p.m.

Back in November '95 my sister tried to buy a new green Saturn wagon with A/C,cruise, roll up windows, AM/FM no cassette, SOHC and a 5spd. Nothing was available in California so she ordered a '96 built to her specifications.

She is only 4'9" and 80 lbs and was concerned about the airbags. She specifically ordered the car without airbags..... I'm not sure what the Saturn salesman told her, but I know its not possible to get a car without airbags.

Anyway...when the car arrived with airbags she refused delivery. A huge E36 M3storm developed and Saturn eventually had the car custom modified with a raised driver seat. It cost Saturn a E36 M3load of money.

I bought the car from her in '03 and still have it. The drivers seat sits 2 inches higher. Evidently I have the unicorn of Saturn wagons

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
12/7/13 11:53 p.m.

My old Mazda3 hatch was an oddball. LOADED. Heated leather, power everything, Xenons, Bose (their "premium stereo") all of it. Manual trans. What made it even weirder was- it was an SP23 package. One year only option. 5k made. 1500 hatchbacks, 3500 sedans. It was a hatch. Less than half had the saddle tan leather interior. Mine did. Less than half of THOSE had the manual. I specifically wanted a manual. Strangely, no nav- which is fine because the nav then was JUNK. Best part? I bought it off the lot like that, and every dealer in the metro was chasing me for it- because it was such a unicorn. I'm friends with the other guy with one. I miss that car.

My Chevy Prizm is odd too- SUPER base model, auto trans, premium CD sound. I think AC was standard by then. HAS power moon roof- but I don't count that because that was some sorta redneck hackjob aftermarket- it's crooked as berkeley and rusty and leaking now.

Come to think of it- my Cooper S is a strange one too- El strippo- ultra ultra base for a Cooper S- But it's a glass roof car. And has the "S-Lites". And it's a blue/blue matched car. I apparently buy weird E36 M3.

EvanR
EvanR HalfDork
12/8/13 2:18 a.m.

I had a '92 Plymouth Voyager with a stick shift. 3,000 of the 176,000 MoPar minivans sold that year had sticks. I bought it from a guy on this board. Go figure :)

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
12/8/13 4:10 a.m.

My old '80 Rx-7 was a base S model and it had a 4-speed and A/C. Most people would just buy a GS or a complete stripper S model. I had the "midrange" model.

My '86 Crown Vic 2 door had Power windows and Mirrors, but manual door locks.

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/8/13 6:58 a.m.

1983 my Dad created a sleeper 4 door Citation X-11. Did it by ordering a Pontiac Phoenix 4 door hatch, HO V-6 engine, F41 suspension, but with bench seat, column shift auto and steel wheels.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
12/8/13 7:19 a.m.

My old 91 S10 was an oddball. Standard fare truck with a shortbox regular cab, bench seat, but it was optioned with power brakes, AC, and manual steering on top of the 4cyl/5spd.

There was another guy I knew who had a v6 S10 that was fully loaded but came with manual brakes.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
12/8/13 8:08 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: My old '80 Rx-7 was a base S model and it had a 4-speed and A/C. Most people would just buy a GS or a complete stripper S model. I had the "midrange" model. My '86 Crown Vic 2 door had Power windows and Mirrors, but manual door locks.

I have an early 79 GS that doesn't have the sunroof, or A/C. Odd for a GS to not have those two options, but I was told that the really early cars like mine (5/78 build date) were usually stripped down even as the GS models because it was easier for the factory to make them. This was when the demand for the cars was super high, and the factory was trying to make as many as they could. Seems plausible.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
12/8/13 8:13 a.m.

My 98 Neon Sport seems a bit odd. DOHC Sedan with 4wheel disc brakes with ABS( fairly rare to see on a non-RT or non-ACR), power mirrors, fog lights, remote power door locks, but it has manual windows and no cruise.

I had a 1987 Firebird (not a Formula or Trans Am) with a 305 carb'd engine and a 5 speed. Pretty sure the only other option was AC. I'm guessing someone wanted the cheapest V8 stick shift Firebird they could get.

Edit: wish I could find the picture, but I remember seeing a photo of a Ford dealer that had a row of 87-93 LX 5.0 notchbacks with minimal other options on their lot. Pretty much were set up to be the lightest, fastest fox Mustangs available at the time.

ShadowSix
ShadowSix Dork
12/8/13 9:06 a.m.

In reply to novaderrik:

Nice, I like! I can't tell what the new wheels look like, but they have to be an improvement! I get bummed out b/c most of the time when I see a turbo Buick around here it turns out to have some vanilla SBC swap.

Awesome car.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
12/8/13 9:09 a.m.

My very first car was a hand-me-down from my brother.
1977 Malibu Classic. He ordered it specifically after having had a '70 Nova, similar.
This exact orange color (that is popular again in recent years), 250 straight 6, 1 barrel carb, automatic, radio delete (straight to aftermarket), no AC, Posi and HD suspension. No vinyl roof like shown in example but yes, from the factory with Corvette Cone rims.
The car looked tough but it was soooo slow with the small engine and heavy frame.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
12/8/13 9:23 a.m.

my DD 1999 Infiniti G20 is about as stripper model as can be found in this model. No sunroof, cloth interior, manual seats and HVAC with sliders and a rotary knob instead if a digital whizbang. The manual trans is also rare. the only combo rarer would've been if it had the Sport package as well...16 in wheels and LSD...that would've made it the ultimate unicorn.

johndej
johndej New Reader
12/8/13 9:36 a.m.

Don't know how many were options but I've got a fairly stripper model DD for this day and age. 2005 accord that's 4 cyl, 5 speed, no sunroof, cloth interior, manual seats, power windows, drum rear brakes.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit HalfDork
12/8/13 9:45 a.m.

I had a Daytona base type car Stick shift, no power anything, no spoiler, no turbo, no roof, no rear wiper, no A/C, and no rear defogger. BUT the car had the full factory Infinity stereo system with AMP, saywhat!

oldopelguy
oldopelguy Dork
12/8/13 10:05 a.m.

My wife's '79 Nova has 305/auto, manual everything, no AC, but has a tilt column and cruise control.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
12/8/13 10:25 a.m.

My 1961 Pontiac Bonneville was built with the top of the line engine (348hp tripower) and a four speed manual transmission, which was odd enough for a Bonneville, but then the only other options were a radio and antifreeze - no power steering or brakes, or any of the other things that would have been normal on that model. It was also painted a non-standard color; the original owner ordered it painted a shade of red that Pontiac had used in 1959, instead of the red normally used in 1961. The paint code on the ID tag under the hood says 'special'.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/8/13 10:30 a.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: My very first car was a hand-me-down from my brother. 1977 Malibu Classic. He ordered it specifically after having had a '70 Nova, similar. This exact orange color (that is popular again in recent years), 250 straight 6, 1 barrel carb, automatic, radio delete (straight to aftermarket), no AC, Posi and HD suspension. No vinyl roof like shown in example but yes, from the factory with Corvette Cone rims.

My Mom's first car was a '77 Century in that exact color, with the vinyl white half-Landau. White vinyl bench seats that were damned cold in the winter.

I remember that it was a 231, but I didn't ever know if it was even-fire or odd-fire. I was too little to open up the hood to check

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
12/8/13 11:05 a.m.

I guess I could say my 96 Ram was a bit odd. Pretty much your standard Laramie package, so power windows/locks/mirrors, Cummins diesel, automatic, 4x4, tow package, limited slip, snow plow package, etc. What was odd was the grill shell, front, and rear bumpers were body color white instead of chrome. Basically a pre-Sport package version of the Sport package except the bumpers and grill were standard Ram items instead of Sport items. No "Sport" decals on the side, black, not body colored tail lights. I have seen a decent number of the older Rams with body colored bumpers but they were all 1500s, never saw another 2500, much less a diesel, with a Sport appearance package on the old bumpers and whatnot.

A kid in school had a 90 Talon TSi AWD 5 speed with manual windows, no rear wiper, no rear defrost, manual mirrors, no sunroof, etc. Pretty unusual.

t25torx
t25torx Reader
12/8/13 11:08 a.m.

I've got a fairly rare optioned truck. '94 Chevy K1500, with the 6.5L Turbo Diesel, 4L80E EXT cab, Z71 with Tow package. Came with vinyl seats and rubber floors like a work truck, but has power windows and locks.

I have replaced the vinyl seats with cloth and put carpet in it. I also swapped out the piece of junk automatic with an NV4500 manual gearbox, so it's even more of a unicorn now.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
12/8/13 11:09 a.m.

Half ton diesel? That's an odd bird without all the other crap.

1 2 3 4 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4ctErLj386bbgjqcfM91xo0vUscC7VlosAXRVtSNfkVu9hUgpmA9wQCK3dqpyOF2