1 ... 3 4 5 6 7
joephilly
joephilly New Reader
12/9/13 8:19 p.m.

When I was growing up, my parents had a '76 Nova Concours (the fancy trim) sedan with the 305 and 3 speed column shift. Oh, vinyl top too! I have to assume a non-base-model sedan with a manual trans was somewhat rare back then.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/9/13 8:32 p.m.
Vigo wrote: Heated wipers sounds kind of logistically ludicrous vs just heating the windshield. (off-topic thread bumping)

That's what Subaru does. There is a defroster grid where the wipers park.

gofastbobby
gofastbobby Reader
12/17/13 8:20 p.m.

mazda 6 wagon 5speed. AWESOME!!!

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/4233444189.html

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
12/17/13 9:46 p.m.
That's what Subaru does. There is a defroster grid where the wipers park.

Ah, so it IS heating the windshield!

(off-topic thread bumping)

Storz
Storz Dork
12/18/13 6:07 a.m.

My '98 318ti was a fully loaded car, but no sunroof of any sort

cdowd
cdowd Reader
12/18/13 7:29 a.m.

I have a BMW X5 with a manual transmission. you don't find very many of those.

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
12/18/13 7:50 a.m.
gofastbobby wrote: mazda 6 wagon 5speed. AWESOME!!! http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/4233444189.html

I looked at 2 or 3 of those back in 06, some 06 models and some leftover 05s. They were pretty motivated to move them, and came off the 30k sticker by 10k just for showing interest.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
12/18/13 8:00 a.m.
gofastbobby wrote: mazda 6 wagon 5speed. AWESOME!!! http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/4233444189.html

And a v6 at that. Those are amazingly rarely, and always amazing.

Storz
Storz Dork
12/18/13 8:07 a.m.
cdowd wrote: I have a BMW X5 with a manual transmission. you don't find very many of those.

Very rare indeed. I6 only right?

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
12/18/13 8:17 a.m.

Thought of another one, more of a regional oddity than anything else. My mother ( a Floridian) wanted a Kia Sorrento. She wanted the leather interior, V6, Nav, basically all the toys, except, being in Florida, she wanted a light color, no sunroof, and 2WD. Couldn't find any loaded V6 Sorrentos anywhere near her like that, Most were darker colors with sunroofs, and I think pretty much all of them had AWD (in Florida?!).

She found a white Sorrento V6, loaded, nav, leather, 2WD, no sunroof, etc. in Cincinnati, OH near where I live.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/18/13 8:18 a.m.

I had a Datsun Nissan Stanza back in the day (when Datsun was changing its name to Nissan in the US, they used both names on their cars for one year) and it had mechanical levers that opened the rear vent windows using cables. Seems silly, but they were reliable compared to electric or pneumatic!

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
12/18/13 8:20 a.m.

A few oddities I've seen:

-1990 Honda Civic sedan: every factory option EXCEPT a radio and alloy wheels (not even sure that was an option). It was special ordered that way. Power everything, automatic, A/C, but no radio. Weird. I was offered this car for $300 by a friend with a broken radiator, but I didn't have the room otherwise I'd be daily driving it. It was like a little go-kart.

-1983 Camaro Z28: I owned this one. Should have kept it. 305/5-speed, no A/C, crank windows, and since it had the regular LG4 305, it had the lighter composite hood. But it did have T-Tops.

1979 Trans Am: This is the one I still have. Optioned a little strange. Originally a 403 Olds/TH350 car, but someone checked off the WS6 option, so it has the 15x8 Snowflakes and 4-wheel disc brakes. It has the Deluxe interior and had A/C, but no power windows or locks. It also does NOT have T-Tops. It's also silver with a red interior. Most silver cars had a black interior.

Usually, you don't see the WS6 package on the 403, and you usually don't see the Deluxe interior without other power options and especially not without T-Tops. I'm glad this one doesn't have them, because it would have rotted away a long time ago. It does have rust, but it's not nearly as bad as it could have been.

1978 Dodge Ramcharger: This was my great uncle's, ordered from the factory. 318, Automatic, 4x4, and the Sno-Commander plow package. That's it. I have the window sticker somewhere at home. He used it to plow his driveway and old car dealership, and it was put away wet and salty. I was going to restore it, but it needed too much rust repair. Then again, I think my CSX is worse. I wonder if it's still up in NH at his old house...hmm...

Will
Will Dork
12/18/13 8:26 a.m.

My dad bought his 90 CRX HF new. It's got A/C, 6-spoke alloys (not the 7-spoke Si wheels), tape deck w/graphic equalizer, foglights, and the center console/armrest. I'm not even sure the last 2 were supposed to be available for the HF, but he got them.

phaze1todd
phaze1todd HalfDork
12/18/13 8:38 a.m.
egnorant wrote:
cwh wrote: My strange one was a '69 Mach 1 Mustang. 351, 4bbl. Had the top loader 4 speed, 4.10 posi rear end. No AC, no power steering, no power brakes. Basically optioned out like a racer, but I had no idea of it's provenance. Bartered a new wood fence to the owner for it. Neat car but a brutal beast to drive.
My first thought was a "Drag Pack" car but they had a 3.90 or 4.30 Detroit Locker rear end but would have had an oil cooler also. All those options that were deleted on your car were just the result of checking off boxes to delete them. Bruce

My friend has been working a long term restoration on a barn find re-vin'd '70 GT500. Oddity is that it seems to have everything from the "Drag Pack" (3.90, beefed up engine internals) except no engine oil cooler and it has AC. Has almost all parts, but if I hear one more time about that "goddam racetrack" for the front grill. . .

Oh, he also has an '82 (non-bubble-back) Capri RS 5.0 with T-tops but no AC which I hear is odd. (this car may show up for $2014)

Me? Closest I got was a hand me down from my grandma - '77 Ford Granada Sports Coupe/S with 302 and auto. Always got a kick that it had the same painted Magnum 500 wheels and floor shifter that old Mustangs had. Wasn't fast but fast enough for 16 yr old. All front end bushings started to go and my brother said it wasn't worth fixing and junked it. Would love to have it now.

cdowd
cdowd Reader
12/18/13 8:46 a.m.

In reply to Storz: tes only in the I6, which makes for quite a satisfying experience.

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 HalfDork
12/21/13 11:09 p.m.

My dream ride: 95 e36 m3 no sunroof and m-tek cloth :)

phaze1todd
phaze1todd HalfDork
12/22/13 4:46 a.m.
CLNSC3 wrote: My dream ride: 95 e36 m3 no sunroof and m-tek cloth :)

and, of course, no radio, no AC, aluminum skinned doors, no insulation under the hood, thinned undercar insulation and carpeting, carbon fiber interior trim, black and red fabric seats (wait, I think you already mentioned that), hand selected and ungoverned S50B32, lower axle ratio, retuned suspension, takes Jim Carey breath, "Alpine White" with BMW Motorsports International flag decals on the left front and right rear corners, larger rear wing, "trunk pack" with racing oil pan, sump pump, strut bars and bracing, rear wing spacer blocks, another Jim Carey breath, document stating that any installation of said items will void warranty, 1" wider wheels in the rear, Jim Carey running out of breath at end of sentance and looks something like this:

I've seen them go for $30,000 to $100,000 for one with 99 original miles.

Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD New Reader
12/22/13 10:19 a.m.

Have a 2008 Cobalt with wind up windows, manual door locks but has satellite radio.

gofastbobby
gofastbobby Reader
12/22/13 6:23 p.m.
CLNSC3 wrote: My dream ride: 95 e36 m3 no sunroof and m-tek cloth :)

yes please!

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/22/13 7:10 p.m.

Ex wife came to our relationship with a 1st gen Taurus 4 cyl manual trans. (ML-5 designation on the side). Never seen another. Or her.

EvanR
EvanR HalfDork
12/22/13 8:00 p.m.
vwcorvette wrote: Ex wife came to our relationship with a 1st gen Taurus 4 cyl manual trans. (ML-5 designation on the side). Never seen another. Or her.

Funny, mine came with a '90 Camry base - 5-speed, no a/c. I thought a gal who drove a car like that was solid wife material.

I was wrong.

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
12/22/13 8:23 p.m.
a 1st gen Taurus 4 cyl manual trans. (ML-5 designation on the side). Never seen another.

Never heard of such a thing! Interesting..

Another weird-option car, a sleeper of the early 90s: 3.0/5spd Tempo/Topaz. Not quite as fast as the dodge 3.0/5spd but much sleepier and even rarer.

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/23/13 7:42 a.m.
vwcorvette wrote: Ex wife came to our relationship with a 1st gen Taurus 4 cyl manual trans. (ML-5 designation on the side). Never seen another. Or her.

I seem to remember it as an MT5 designation? Manual Transmission 5 speed? I remember seeing them too.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
12/23/13 7:51 a.m.
ZOO wrote:
I seem to remember it as an MT5 designation? Manual Transmission 5 speed? I remember seeing them too.

It was. I went to college with a guy who had a Taurus MT5 wagon. That car rocked.

gofastbobby
gofastbobby Reader
2/1/14 7:32 a.m.

http://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/cto/4303805128.html

this would be an awesome dd. Not many 5 speed pathfinders out there.

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dcRuWz55J3WInb1ShA9dlxN770R9H8kHSlPr2mcE5pWt1zId72wvZQMlBcFFtnxr